Author Topic: What's the deal with identical titles?  (Read 182 times)

Annmarie

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
What's the deal with identical titles?
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
So my publishers are discussing a title that's pretty good, but that's already taken, and it kind of surprises me that they don't seem to care.

The other book was in a completely different genre, published by a largish imprint about 10 years ago. I don't know how well it did, not too many reviews on Amazon. I'm assuming the publishers are thinking they're going to sort of wipe that book off of google and replace it with mine, I guess. It just surprises me they're not concerned about mix-ups.

What do you think?

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with identical titles?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
You'll be surprised how many books share the same title - check on Goodreads if you don't believe me ('You', 'Easy', 'Elsewhere' for example). But each will have a different ISBN number (which is what booksellers and stockists go by) so that's probably why your publisher is not too bothered. I'm guessing you haven't been asked to name it 'Oliver Twist' or 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

It might make it more difficult for prospective readers to find your title on-line, but if your book is in a different genre the chances of anyone confusing it with another book of the same name are unlikely.

H3K

Annmarie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:50:37 PM »
No, not Oliver Twist! The other book was fantasy so no danger of mistaking it for mine.

I just thought in the age of Google & co, it would be important to stand out and be unique, but that doesn't seem to apply to titles. Do self publishers pay more attention to this?

Gyppo

• Kudos: 25
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
I remember all those years ago being asked if I could come up with an alternative title for Running Scared because there was another book out there with the same name.  But that, to me was the perfect title.  Hale's didn't push me too hard to change it when I dug my heels in.

I probably wouldn't be so 'precious' about a title now, but seeing as I often have a title in my head before the story really develops there's no guarantee ;-) 

I believe there have been three books with the same title.  Plus a song.

The only time it's likely to be a problem is when they are very similar stories, and statistically that's probably fairly unlikely.

I notice there is a modern tendency to a recurring word in series titles, such as Dark Crimes, Dark Secrets, Dark Legacy, etc.

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 11
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
My first published book was called "The Matrix" - also Hale, around 1981.  Funnily enough, the film that came later and used the same title for a different story is rather better known.

Annmarie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
Thanks, Gyppo and Jo. I'm learning new things at every stage of this journey. (Today it's line editing in a track changes mode I didn't know existed till this morning).

The Matrix? Never heard of it. Great title, though. ;)