Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 1659 times)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 8
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2019, 09:36:28 PM »
I like your perspective, Patti. Makes me feel a bit better about myself too. I'm just as disappointing as you are.
EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
Me too. I'm must be a terrible disappointment to everyone  :'(

What is the objective of the forum anyway? Where does it say it's here to take aspiring dimwits and convert them into genius writers? Could a forum even do that? Could it even help do that?

It is a writing forum. I have posted tens of thousands of words of fiction (AKA writing) and if you include MWC most likely over a hundred thousand words. I am a dimwit. Gyppo and Jo won't be able to turn me into a genius.

My view ... chill out.

If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
Mark is clearly using a bit of literary licence here - he's not a dimwit; compared with the general population, anyone who can string three sentences together is already borderline genius - but he makes a valid point.  Who says we can't just come here to enjoy it?  Working to improve our abilities and further our ambitions is worthwhile and to be encouraged - but so is just enjoying words and other people who have fun with them.  Let's not turn into the Serious Writing Police.  There's room for both kinds of writers here, serious and frivolous, as well as some of us who probably qualify as both.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 8
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
When I look around here, I see my friends from the other place. Those of us who had been there for ages, and formed a bond. What's happening here, I think, is when we came here, it was not to improve our writing (because we've all of us been writing for a very long time already and we know the drill) but to simply enjoy the company of our friends.

I like it here. This forum may be small and "slow" but it's friendly and as safe as any online place can be. That's what makes this place special.
EDS Diaries - Enjoying life with Ehlers-Danlos
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »
We asked Karl to build us a safe place to not lose contact and he so generously did that. If it develops further that of course is a bonus but it really is a nice spot to gather
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
Mark is clearly using a bit of literary licence here - he's not a dimwit; compared with the general population, anyone who can string three sentences together is already borderline genius - but he makes a valid point.  Who says we can't just come here to enjoy it?  Working to improve our abilities and further our ambitions is worthwhile and to be encouraged - but so is just enjoying words and other people who have fun with them.  Let's not turn into the Serious Writing Police.  There's room for both kinds of writers here, serious and frivolous, as well as some of us who probably qualify as both.

Jo beat me to it.  In the absence of new members to encourage and possibly help I'm happy to come here and just bandy words with old friends.  This is not the old MWC.  That, originally, was a happy coincidence of time, and need, and people, which flourished greatly for a while.

Times change, and not all of us are comfortable with twitter or 'fakebook'.

I'm a little sad that I only got one entry for my fiction challenge, but considering the low 'active numbers' compared to the old MWC I'm not surprised.  I won't be slashing my wrists over it, that's for sure.  But unless another entry turns up before Sunday midnight to make it a contest there really can't be a 'winner'.

Puts me in mind of the old Hippy Slogan, "What if they gave a war and nobody came?"

Gyppo

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2019, 05:22:56 AM »
Sorry, I thought I had replied here

Basically Nick has stepped right back from most of his online commitments but will continue to advertise our site when and where he can

Karl has a lot of irons in a lot of fires and will help us by doing the same

Other than spreading the word ourselves, there is not a lot that I can see we can do to get it out there guys.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Thanks Firefly, that sounds very positive.

Lin x

jorge

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • King of the Bullies
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2019, 10:20:41 PM »
I agree with you. Serious writers do not spend their time playing word-games!
King of the Bullies, an ebook, narrates about outrageous suveillance, endless persecution, based largely on real events.

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
All I can ask you folks is to use Twitter and Facebook to advertise our cause.  I really don't come here that often any more because I'm not motivated to do so.  I will try to continue to comment, but some of those submitting posts, don't bother to come back anyway to read their updates.

I have a fondness for many of the 'long standing' members who I have got to know well over the years.  I think if you want to keep this forum going, you only have two choices.  To use social media to create interest or close it down. 

With any novel, if you want it to sell you have to advertise it.  The same applies here.  This forum will not sell itself.

Lin

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:53 PM »
Agreed - but you also have to have something to sell. I'm not seeing anything here that would attract a prospective writer.

8 pieces of prose posted for critique in the last 5+ months  and 59 responses (including some no doubt from the OPs thanking those who commented). That's hardly the sign of a thriving writing community.

It's sad to watch BWF fizzle away, but unless more members actually post their work for feedback (even if they don't really want to know what we think of their writing) there's not much point flogging this dying horse.

H3K

indar9

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2019, 06:04:47 PM »
It's sad to watch BWF fizzle away, but unless more members actually post their work for feedback (even if they don't really want to know what we think of their writing) there's not much point flogging this dying horse.

Indeed Hillwalker,

I keep coming back to what I think of as the two post-apocalyptic writing forums, MWC and BWF, hoping they revive----but alas.

This forum reminds me of the old aol chat rooms and MWC has become the victim of terrorist activity by sentimentalist writers.

I have ventured into the prose threads recently hoping to cross-pollinate between prose and poetry but again---alas.

Perhaps a sustained effort at writing and critiqueing is destined to become a lost art--the dumbing down of the literate along with everything else.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:04:18 PM by indar9 »