Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 1276 times)

rewh2oman

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
understood.

I thought he could give you some advice is all, not actually do any work.

oh, well.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
Ah silly me, I misunderstood.

I will email and ask him mate, sorry about that  :D
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
It's a difficult one, isn't it?  So much depends on what you're looking for from a site like this, and what you're prepared to contribute, and sometimes the discrepancy between the two.

Naturally, what novice writers want is different from what established writers want.  And actually, what novice writers want and what novice writers need are usually different as well.  They need correction.  They want adulation.  Established writers are usually competent to offer the former, but may not be willing to be lambasted for their severity, especially when they're right. 

Also, bear in mind that established writers are doing this, probably for a living, day in and day out: they maybe don't get the same buzz out of posting a piece for public viewing that beginners do.  I'm sorry I didn't take up Gyppo's challenge, which was well-thought-out and should have been better supported - but if my creative juices are flowing, I'm working on my next novel.  I come here for recreation, to discuss the writing world and to offer the occasional piece of advice.

I don't know how to make the site come alive.  I've tried to start a few discussions, without much success - except for the input of the usual suspects, to whom grateful thanks.  I'd be sorry to see BWF go south, but I don't know how to stop the slide.

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
At least we're all talking about the elephant in the room. That's a promising start.

H3K

Annmarie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
I know I'm not a regular on this site, but wanted to make an observation or two from where I stand based on what I look for online at the moment.

It comes down to practical use and group dynamics. I have posted on AW the past year or so because they have a good pool of agented authors submitting to publishers. That was really helpful to me as a support and info system. I'm on there now mainly to support the agented, unpublished authors still coming up. That's where I feel I can be helpful and encouraging. I rarely join general writing threads and I don't post work.

Much more important to me at the moment is an FB Debut author group I'm involved with. All of us have books coming out next year, and we help each other swap information, resources etc to support our launches. And there's a lot of emotional support because it's a closed/private group where we can gripe or ask serious questions without it all ending up on twitter or our agents/publishers hear about it. Plus I'm not alone in feeling a little uncomfortable posting certain things on open writers forums because there are so many people struggling at earlier stages, and I don't want them to feel like I'm suddenly the expert on all things just because I have a book deal. (or the other side of the coin, that whenever I mention this fact, that I'm only tooting my own horn).

All of that said, I wish I was more active on this forum, but hesitate to promise anything because I am truly swamped by a lot of new things, plus lots of deadlines, and when I'm not writing, I try to get off the computer/screens. Yet I know I might be able to give some added value to the site if you guys see the need for it.

That's why if you want to set up some kind of an AMA Debut Author thread, or something along those lines, I'd pop in to do that more often. And maybe that information can form a bit of the collective wisdom that makes a forum better than twitter & co over time. There could be something similar for long-time trade authors like Jo. Another for long time self pub or hybrid authors, and so on. There's a lot of rich experience among even the few active people on here, and I know I'd ask others lots of questions about their experiences if there was a thread for it.

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
I feel the only way to get more writing related subjects flowing here is to encourage our members to write and ask more questions about writing.  Facebook is a good medium.  I shall, and I hope you can too, put a link to the forum on FB.  I feel that would be helpful.

Lin

indar9

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 08:32:11 PM »
Why aren't more existing members participating?

Skrrt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
Hey, everyone.

I've had a read through this thread and thought I'd throw in my pennies. When I went to rejoin MWC this last week, I quickly realised that a) it was spiralling b) there was some random woman posting a million times on everything, and c) the people I wanted to see had gone elsewhere.

When I tried to figure out where that elsewhere was, I had no luck. No amount of googling uncovered BWF, even when I incorporated the acronym (after I'd unearthed it) into my searching. There were pages and pages of search results that didn't feature this site. Eventually, I messaged someone to ask and finally had my answer.

So, all other potential reasons for the slow trickle of custom/review/writing aside, the SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) of this website is terrible. SEO is a slippery beast at the best of times, but to whom do we lodge an appeal for better discoverability?

Also, I'm not a great writer, but I'll write, if it helps to keep the forum moving. Critique is an integral part of the process, write?

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
I agree, I often feel I am trying to keep this forum going and support everyone here, but it sometimes feels like a struggle.

I think since we started here and on MWC so much has changed in technology.  With the advent of Facebook and Twitter, writers seem to spend more time discussing events and promotions on social media than visiting here. 

Perhaps we can promote here more as well.  But do we have enough published authors as members who have enough 'clout' to be able to critique and help the newbies etc.  We used to have a lot more I think.

I will do my best to encourage new members and perhaps that's the way forward.

Lin

Lin

rewh2oman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »
Ah silly me, I misunderstood.

I will email and ask him mate, sorry about that  :D

Hi firefly

any news from Nick?

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
Not yet mate, he always gets back to us though. I included Karl in the email as well.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 02:29:52 AM »
Nick has replied and he is looking into some options for us guys  ;D

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
That sounds very positive. I'm glad I brought up the subject, we must not allow this forum to become a bit of a dead donkey.  It has all the right people here trying to help those who need it.  In the meantime, please use Twitter to encourage others to join.  I will ask some of my RNA group if they will become members.  I am going to lunch with them today, so I will mention it.  I know at least two people who may, as published authors, be happy to join in and make this forum what it should be.  In my opinion we are there to help ourselves as well as the newbies.  We need more published authors I think.  I will put this on our Exeter Chapter Facebook page and see what transpires.

Lin

Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »
I don't really think it matters if a writer is published or not. I think experienced writers, writers that have been writing for a long time are equally important in keeping this place alive. There are many unpublished people that can help.  Newbies can also contribute a lot to the forum. I hope to be more active in the future and hope we can all be more active .

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 13
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 01:50:57 PM »
I guess I'm one of the disappointing people. I play the word games. I don't put up anything to critique and I don't offer advice to others because I've learned it is time intensive and rarely appreciated.

I also learned long ago that the dangers of entering a contest are ... well, too dangerous. The risk of winning is too much for me to handle. I have submitted things just to appease friends and been stuck with trying to run the next challenge. This is not where my talents lie.

I'm not sure how complaining about what the members here are doing is actually going to increase membership. I guess I'm missing something.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.