Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 34743 times)

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
The problem is that word games and other non-writing distractions such as weather updates  :-\ have taken over the forum.

H3K

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
There's nothing to stop anyone from writing as competently and as imaginatively as they can, and in any genre they like, on the threads below. No one will care if you don't know the back story and make continuity errors. No one will care what you do other than you. What you get is writing practice or a place to try out ideas.

https://bestwritingforum.com/index.php/topic,83.0.html

https://bestwritingforum.com/index.php/topic,88.0.html

And why is critique so important anyway? Do you think you will enable a talentless dolt to become a published writer with a few pointers? Or that a writer with real talent and the nouse to read books on writing and make sensibe judgment calls on the content of those books, will fail due to a lack of peer review?

Ultimately these forums are just a place to have fun and exercise your fingers (and maybe your mind.)
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
The problem is that word games and other non-writing distractions such as weather updates  :-\ have taken over the forum.

H3K

I accept this, and agree it's a pity.  But if the players are the only ones posting, surely it's better that they keep doing so in order to keep the forum alive.  If you've any suggestions for a nice juicy argument ... er, discussion ... I'll be happy to join in.

hillwalker3000

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »
And why is critique so important anyway? Do you think you will enable a talentless dolt to become a published writer with a few pointers? Or that a writer with real talent and the nouse to read books on writing and make sensibe judgment calls on the content of those books, will fail due to a lack of peer review?

I learnt so much about the craft of writing when posting my work on MWC back in the day when the likes of Wolf gave advice for free without the sugar coated dross that has reduced that site to a wasteland. It's likely I wouldn't have pursued a writing career without the valuable pointers given by so many other members.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'd hoped BWF would have filled the gap when the scammers took over MWC but it seems to have transformed into a playground. I'm not looking to start an argument because it's not going to change anything - just trying to make a point. Best Writing Forum? Really?

H3K

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »
hilly

That just goes to show how much luck and coincidence play in life. At a time when you needed input, there just happened to be a forum available, with suitable mentors on it and you stumbled across it.

I think the bit that's missing from this forum is the wanabes. We have the technology and we have the likes of you, Jo and Gyppo who can critique. But we don't have the wanabe writers posting stuff for review. Why that is, I have no idea.

If we think that there needs to be reviews happening so that new people will see that and join in (a chicken and egg situation) then we could try to artificially stimulate that scenario I guess.

Mark
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
I think times have changed and the only way to turn this around is to advertise on social media.  I keep saying this, but if our members are not willing to do it then I can't see us improving the situation.  Folks rely on social media so very much now.  Games are fine, but this a writer's forum and when I want to play games of a word nature, I download a decent app and play there.  I find some of the games here are somewhat childish.

We must get new writers to join us.  |However, if they don't know we exist, how can that happen? It's the new writers who need the help, and here we are with lots of experienced authors on the forum who are willing to give that all important critique with hardly any newbies. 

I cannot express strongly enough the need to advertise 'us'.  I am happy to do this. 

So who uses Twitter and Facebook?  Much of my book sales come from there, so why can't we encourage writers to join us?

Come of guys, you can do it.  Go into Twitter twice a week and tell the world we exist.  If you run a blog, mention us.  Can I have your pledge to have a go?

Lin

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »
Wanna be writers already have a place to put up their writing for "peer review" although not for critique. It is called a blog and they are legion and they have followers who will debate or encourage or troll.

The internet is vastly different than it was ten years ago.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2019, 03:21:05 PM »
This is why I feel we have to either make this a place to play games or encourage serious writers and newbies to step up to the plate.

If this is a place for games only, then I really do not wish to be part of it any more. This saddens me a lot.  Please save the forum and tell the public we exist.

Lin  :(

Dwin7454

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
A monthly competition, free critique on each entry and why the winner was chosen. A panel of moderators set the challenge (3-5). I feel that this is going to attract people more than ‘the winner sets the next challenge’.

Free Monthly competition for new and aspiring writers. This is along the lines of the monthly competitions set by writing magazines except there is no charge, everyone gets professional (hopefully) feedback and advice on their work. I think it would need to be discussed as to whether participants were named or remained anonymous.

I think this would be a better way than having other members vote for their favorite story because you would be getting positive feedback from published (to be discussed) writers.

Sorry, but just wrote this down as the thoughts came tumbling out but I think you'll understand.

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
Thanks Dave for your mail.  I have replied.

Lin x

DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2020, 08:10:03 AM »
I'm late to throw in my two cents but I think we could use some actual prize to get people here. Maybe we could get some sponsorship from companies that sell writer's tools. I don't know the logistics of that, but I'd be willing to do some research if it's doable.

When I first joined MWC in 2007, Nick was giving away a copy of WhiteSmoke for the 100,000th post or something like that. I'm sure my number is off but you get the point. I think we picked up a few new members that hung around for quite a while. That's about the time Tim and Patti joined us, right? I know that is where I first met Tim, playing to win that software on MWC. That was a lot of fun too.

I have nothing published to offer other than my Station Shorts disaster but I'd be willing to throw in a copy of that book or $10 to $15 for gift card or prize. Individually, it isn't much, but if we all chipped in $5, we'd have a decent prize. What? $35 bucks? Ha!

I don't know. I have probably 50 friends that write but I couldn't entice anyone to post even one poem for NaPoWriMo. My son started one but he said it seemed like too much daunting work to write a poem every day or even finish the one he started but he's not this kind of writer. He does short comics with illustrations.

If anyone had told me 10 or even 5 years ago that I'd enjoy writing poetry so much, I'd have said they were nuts.

I wish we had enough people to have the writing challenges. the 150 and 200-word flash fiction challenges tightened up my writing. Every challenge helped.

~Deb

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:17:57 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb