Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 34741 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »
I post something daily to an inspirational/motivational blog I created.

I write sporadically in another blog I created years ago.

I stopped writing Little Bits of History over a year ago.

It's not that I'm not writing, it's that I have gotten roasted and burned and castigated and chastised for some critiques, especially my critique of Strunk and White, a horrible and dated book that seems to be some people's bible for all things writing. I've spent hours on critiques only to have the original posters deny anything wrong with their "pristine" writing. To me, it seems like a bit of a waste of my time, even though I am retired and have an abundance of it.

I'm sorry if my playing games and posting one word answers is harming the forum. Do you really think it is?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Vienna

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
Of course it isn't!

indar9

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »
A while ago I decided to wander out of my comfort zone (poetry) and post some parts of a book I was struggling with on this forum. The comments ranged from, roughly, "who'd want to read this boring stuff" to "no publisher would even look at writing with this punctuation," I would summarize my experience by saying I was sneered at by a few members in a way that caused me to never post prose writing here again lest I become so demoralized I would give up. I didn't give up and wrote a manuscript almost 45,000 words long. It is currently being read by a publisher. I know my chances aren't good but it got past the gate-keeper at a reputable press.

My thanks to the members here that encouraged me outside of this forum---you know who you are. But if members want more participation, a little self-searching by some individuals might be in order

Dansinger---I miss your participation on TTB. Poets have dispersed to a few different forums--all of them slow. Too bad we can't attract them to a central forum. Perhaps poetry is on the decline and YA is taking over everything for profit.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:37 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Indar, I don't understand that attitude personally. The old you need tough skin is fine but manners doesn't hurt anybody. Those comments are not helpful at all
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Don

• Kudos: 2
  • Murder and mayhem for fun and profit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 03:08:16 AM »
Personally, I think we need one of Elon Musk's flamethrowers to set this joint on fire (figuratively, not literally.) There was a time on the old circle when we could post a snippet, or even a single sentence we were having difficulty with and get some coherent feedback. True, sometimes it was incoherent feedback, but it was a response.

Somehow, that morphed into newbies wanting to post their first 26 chapters, otherwise, no one would get it. Sadly, we allowed it. I don't know of anyone who has the time to review the kind of volume that was being posted, and the quality suffered as a consequence. Maybe we go back to "Post a Snippet for Review" and let anyone who needs a review on longer pieces ask around for help.

Lin's comments notwithstanding, we need the fun stuff as well. Writing is hard (for me, anyway) and the comic relief of threads like The Station and others are not only needed, but welcome. It's an eye-opener when you see someone you think is an established writer struggle with the same kind of things you struggle with.

We need more of that on display here. I think we have a lot of viewers lurking, but not participating. If they saw themselves in the struggles of others, I think they just might jump in. Merely a thought. I'll shut up now.

Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »
Indar is right about the personal insults. I more or less stopped posting creatively when a reviewer got really personal. All crit has to be about the writing not the writer.

cheers Richard

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »
You're both right - except that Don's wrong about shutting up!

There is no excuse for rudeness, or what I believe footballers call playing the man instead of the ball.  It takes guts to post something for comment, and while it's never helpful to pretend to be impressed when you're not, abusive or derogatory responses are out of order.  People who write for other people to read must accept the criticism they've invited - but it can be honest without being deliberately hurtful.  This is a learning process for all of us.

I'm absolutely with Don about the problems posed by over-large posts.  I suspect the rule of thumb is: the longer the post, the fewer people will read and respond to it.  If I'm going to spend fifteen minutes reading something, I want to enjoy it, so it has to be in a genre that appeals to me and of a merchantable standard.  I'll read and comment on pieces that don't meet these criteria, if they're short enough.  So there's a trade-off: do you want fewer people to read more words, or more people to read fewer words?  It's been my experience that any problems with someone's writing become obvious in the first few sentences.  Get feedback on those, apply it to the rest of your work, and you'll have achieved what you came here for.

indar9

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
I believe there is a guideline for such things as a maximum length of a post on one of the stickies--if not, it was on a sticky on the MWC forum. Before I knew there was such a thing as a word count tool online, I laboriously counted my words to make certain I was within the guidelines on the two pieces I ventured to post for a critique.

Here is a suggestion for those who feel a post is too long--read enough to form a judgement about the writing and find ways to be helpful to an uncertain but enthusiastic poster. One might scan for organization of material. One might notice certain habits that need to be improved One might gently tell the poster that, although she is within the guidelines, the length of her post is beyond what is mutually understood, but not explicitly stated, to be acceptable on the forum for a close read. Do not shame the poster.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:09:28 PM by indar9 »

ST

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
Critiques are hard for everyone. Maybe that's why they've become harmful to some.

I think it's still pretty early in this sites life to put a death sentence on it. I believe it is only a matter of timing and of course participation. Games are part of any site, it's how we meet each other socially.

Nano time would be a great moment to recruit new writers out to achieve their goals. Kid gloves treatment might be considered 'too soft' of a touch for them to receive(as the world is cruel and yada yada...) but there is more to a writing site than critiquing and games, we should be here to support any other writers. New writers are still honing their craft, so respect that, adjust for that. Tearing apart a new writer's work, I can't even think how it becomes helpful.

Sorry about your experience in prose, Idar9. You aren't alone unfortunately.

Laura

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
I hate to say to this but I am becoming a bit disappointed with this forum.  It seems full of games and I thought the idea was to help each other with writing. 

I have lots of good friends here whom I've known a long time and all are lovely people, but when I looked down the topics there are lots of trivial games and I am finding it difficult to take seriously the purpose of this forum.

Mywriterscircle ex-members I felt many were serious authors and writers.  But since the changes it's become more of a playground.  I am still happy to comment in the Review My Work topic, but as for the games they seem to be taking over the purpose of this forum.

I think we need to be encouraging more writing than games.  I am fond of all of you and want to continue helping new writers to succeed. 

Lin

Lin and anyone feeling disappointed, why not enter the new writing challenge?

https://bestwritingforum.com/index.php/topic,931.0.html

The challenges are great for pushing you to write with a deadline. They aren't critiqued, but surely popular vote is a form of feedback. I hope we have multiple entries because its always fun to see how the same prompts lead to very different stories.

This forum will only ever be what we make of it. Given that we already have a lovely group of writers, I foresee it becoming great and growing. I know the past challenges on the other forum always encouraged me to stretch myself. I hope we can get them up and running with active participation here.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

hillwalker3000

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »
The underwhelming response to the latest writing competition posed by Gyppo gave me food for thought so last night I did some research.
Please don't shoot the messenger, but it felt a little like watching the orchestra on the Titanic, not only performing while the ship went down but actively trying to play as loudly as possible in order to drown out the announcements to abandon ship.

Here's what's been happening during February on MWC and BWF.

MWC

Review My Work    16 new posts (including 1 spam) - 70 replies - 2073 views
Gallery                 18 new posts - 4 replies - 1495 views
Coffee Shop          1 new post - 1 reply - 67 views

BWF

Review My Work (Getting Started)    2 new posts - 5 replies - 163 views
Review My Work (Shark Critique)      0 new posts
The Coffee Table (Gallery)                1 new post - 2 replies - 52 views

Given the standard of writing on MWC the difference is even more soul-destroying. Admittedly BWF has fewer members, but that doesn't fully explain why it's so quiet on the creative boards until you look here:

MWC

MWC Bar/Red Barren             0 new posts - 7 replies
What's the Weather Like        4 replies (all posted by 1 member)
Your First Thought Today       4 replies (all posted by 1 member)
Quotes That Make You Stop     12 replies
Word Games + Challenges    1 reply for all threads

BWF

The Bar + Grill                    18 new posts - 60 replies - 1135 views
BWF Bar + Grill thread         115 replies
What's The Weather Doing   101 replies
Word Play                           1110 replies  !!!

Is it any wonder we're finding it so difficult to attract fresh writing talent on here when there's hardly any writing-related material worth looking at twice and no creative material in sight? I'm off on a two week holiday away from my laptop and the internet but I guess I'll still find time to scribble down something. I wonder if anyone who reads this will also find some time to do some actual writing since this is meant to be a 'writing forum'.

Rant over.  >:(

H3K

Laura

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 06:47:59 PM »
Fair enough that we need to amp up here, but if you look at all those posts and responses on MWC, most are from ONE individual, especially in the gallery.

I know you walk the talk, Hill, and both post and review. We should all do the same. I'm hoping we can build participation in the writing challenges to get us all writing, for those of us out of the habit.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »
Nobody ever wanted MWC to end but when it got as bad as it did and a lot of regulars had deleted their accounts, Karl was very generous in starting this new forum for us. Nick was a major contributor to getting the word out on MWC in the early days but he has all but retired now so a lot of our avenues closed with advertisement.

I don't go to the other site anymore because although there are a few posting, none of them post more then a few times and see the same member spamming all those threads you mentioned. Their site still pops up high on the search list when you type in writers sites as well I think Hilly.

Any suggestions how to get the word out there at all Hilly? We have a FB page but it is slow, I have no idea how to attract more members  :'(

rewh2oman

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
Nobody ever wanted MWC to end but when it got as bad as it did and a lot of regulars had deleted their accounts, Karl was very generous in starting this new forum for us. Nick was a major contributor to getting the word out on MWC in the early days but he has all but retired now so a lot of our avenues closed with advertisement.

I don't go to the other site anymore because although there are a few posting, none of them post more then a few times and see the same member spamming all those threads you mentioned. Their site still pops up high on the search list when you type in writers sites as well I think Hilly.

Any suggestions how to get the word out there at all Hilly? We have a FB page but it is slow, I have no idea how to attract more members  :'(

Why not ask Nick? He has an active website. I, for one, would really like to know how to drive traffic to a website/blog. That's been my personal challenge of creating one myself.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
Nick has explained he doesn't want to be active anymore mate, he has other interests and wants to wind down which is a fair call