Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 34740 times)

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Disappointed
« on: January 19, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
I hate to say to this but I am becoming a bit disappointed with this forum.  It seems full of games and I thought the idea was to help each other with writing. 

I have lots of good friends here whom I've known a long time and all are lovely people, but when I looked down the topics there are lots of trivial games and I am finding it difficult to take seriously the purpose of this forum.

Mywriterscircle ex-members I felt many were serious authors and writers.  But since the changes it's become more of a playground.  I am still happy to comment in the Review My Work topic, but as for the games they seem to be taking over the purpose of this forum.

I think we need to be encouraging more writing than games.  I am fond of all of you and want to continue helping new writers to succeed. 

Lin

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
Lin,

In the old place we had a regular supply of new members, people who asked questions for the 'old hands' to answer.  Here, not so often.

Dispensing knowledge and experience into a vacuum is nowhere near as much fun as helping someone who is keen to learn, even if they don't always like your advice.

Teachers need to be enthused.

Gyppo

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »
Sadly I tend to agree with Lin. I do wonder what potential new members who visit here on spec make of BWF. It's hardly a writing forum - 'best' or otherwise. It's becoming more like one of those tiresome corners of Facebook where idle chit-chat and pointless surveys are the order of the day. Unless we attract writers looking to share their work and ask for or offer critiques, BWF is in danger of finishing up no better than MWC that is rapidly disappearing up its own adverbials.

H3K

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
Has anyone got any suggestions that may help the forum along?
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
I wish I knew a way to get the poets to join us here, but they seem to feel perfectly at home at TB. Me, not so much. I feel overwhelmed there. Lost in the vastness of the site, so I don't post there very often. It would be nice to have at least some active poets here. But I'd have to magic them out of nowhere, I'm afraid.  :-\
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

rewh2oman

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
Here’s my 2 cents you can choose to value, or not.

I don’t play any of the games on BWF or MWC. I’m newly retired, unfortunately, but don’t want to waste my time, or remaining days, doing anything in your BAR & GRILL areas. I try to make the most of my time.

One observation I see on BWF is I see very little contributions to the GETTING PUBLISHED or SUCCESS STORIES areas. Why is that? If there aren’t new novice members joining to ask questions, where are the posts from the seniors in regards to GETTING PUBLISHED or SUCCESS STORIES?

BWF, like any website, needs to find a way to attract viewer traffic. Otherwise, it's just another entity created in the ether of the Internet. It'll exist, but will never come to life without people coming to visit and participating with the intention for it to grow and thrive. What’s the solution? I don’t have a clue. Hence, my reluctance to create my own presence (website, blog, facebook etc.) on the Internet.

I’ve published a couple short stories on KDP, but they sit there and languish. The same problem that exist with them is the same as with BWF:  marketing, IMHO. You have something that you believe has worth, but the question remains on how you drive people to it.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 02:55:06 AM »
Social media has hit forums hard. No one seems to want to take the time anymore.

Agree with what you pointed out Russ

Laura

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:06:27 AM »
Time is certainly an issue for me. Work eats up most of my weekdays, and family takes precedent on the weekends. I'll try to devote some time to seeking out contests and open submission opportunities to share.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »
Yes I do have some suggestions.  We must advertise what we do on social media.  There are loads of new writers out there who need our help.  If they come here and see it's a place of games, they won't be attracted to the forum.  We have to show more enthusiasm and put some Tweets on Twitter and links on Facebook.   

I also have the feeling that the forum is doomed.  This is only because this kind of forum is a little bit on the 'old fashioned side' which is fine for the likes of us few, but as technology takes over, social media is best.  You may have to open a Facebook page, but MWC have done that and I'm not sure how it's going.  I don't receive their messages any more.  I think the Moderators here should make it their policy to Tweet and Facebook links to here at least once a week.

I am sure myself and Hillwalker would be delighted if we had loads of new members and this is the way to go now.

Lin

Vienna

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
I don’t feel the forum is doomed. For me it’s a question of time. I know some of you will say if you want to do something you will and vice versa. But I haven’t retired yet, about two and a half years to go. I have a younger wife, 2 smallish kids, 7 and 5 years old and a full-time job. I do write and will try and get my finger out and post. My wife works full-time (teacher), does her yoga twice a week and has started playing piano in what can be called kirchenkombo.....it’s in the local church, she sings too. So all-in-all day to day life is pretty full.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
Lee started the MWC FB page and we have a page for here. We have this forum stickied on the FB page and have had new members come in but find a lot of members here don't post and never have, same as MWC

V life has gotten busy for so many of us, writing takes a back seat a lot of the time, I agree.

hillwalker3000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
I usually click on the 'View latest posts on the forum' link at least once every 24 hours in the vain hope there might be something of interest on here to read or respond to. Sadly, all I see instead is a series of one-word answers or random comments connected to one of the on-line games that seem to occupy most members' time. It's soul destroying and must be off-putting to anyone hoping to join us with a view to improving their writing skills.
It's obvious some of you on here are not too busy to write after all - it's more a case of giving in to one distraction after another.
I belong to a local writers' group and we are expected to bring along a new piece to share and discuss each month. It doesn't necessarily have to be part of a work in progress - simply something we wrote in order to keep the writing muscle in trim. Perhaps we could try something similar on here to kick-start BWF - stop faffing about and get writing.

H3K

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
I belong to a local writers' group and we are expected to bring along a new piece to share and discuss each month. It doesn't necessarily have to be part of a work in progress - simply something we wrote in order to keep the writing muscle in trim. Perhaps we could try something similar on here to kick-start BWF - stop faffing about and get writing.

That's a good idea. I like it.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Yes, we should do that instead of game playing.  After all this is what this forum (in my opinion) is all about.  Helping one another to succeed at writing. 

I do think that a spot of 'marketing' on Facebook and Twitter will bring in new members.  When I owned my business, I had to go out the public as they wouldn't come to me without telling them I existed.  The same applies here.

I shall do this today for you and be the first member to do it - I hope you will follow and see what happens. 

Lin

Lin Treadgold

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »
I'd like to add that if you set your settings on Facebook to 'public' you wont have to put it on Twitter manually, if you are connected to Twitter, it will do it for you.

Lin