Author Topic: BWF Bar and Grill  (Read 579909 times)

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
Re: BWF Bar and Grill
« Reply #6030 on: June 11, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »
We'd need to add a codicil to this growing very old lark but having it written in that we'd have all our own faculties, fully functioning body, mine and genitals.

rewh2oman

• View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: June 11, 2021, 05:55:36 PM »
I'm with you, Chick.  It's a question of Never mind the width, feel the quality.  Extra years are only worth having if, on the whole, they're enjoyable.  It shouldn't be an endurance test.

Right on, Jo !   :)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #6032 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
We'd need to add a codicil to this growing very old lark but having it written in that we'd have all our own faculties, fully functioning body, mine and genitals.

This!
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: June 13, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
The likelihood of all the codicil things happening is even less than just the mere chance of survival. I'm willing to give my space on the planet to my grandchildren. Not quite yet, though. I'm still fully functional. Just occasionally bored and that's my own fault.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: June 13, 2021, 06:44:50 PM »
Surely one can live a fulfilling life without fully functioning genitals.

There are lots of things I enjoy doing while flaccid. Reading, cooking, walking the dog are all done without a hit of tumescence.
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #6035 on: June 13, 2021, 10:23:17 PM »
I'm not fully functional, and actually happier now than before I became wheelchair dependent, so there's that. Functionality does not reliably measure happiness.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: June 14, 2021, 08:36:38 AM »
Repeated surveys have shown that older people, dealing with the inevitable issues of old age, are happier than younger people in the bloom of health and fitness.  Perhaps because, having been there and done that, we know we can cope with most set-backs if we keep a sense of proportion and a modicum of optimism.  Thus the worries that bedevil younger people - and I know: I was one once - are largely put in their place.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: June 14, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »
Jo, I like the modicum of optimism ;-)  Provided I can occasionally throw in a wild excess of the same commodity.

After all...  'We do not grow old as those without dreams grow old.'

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: June 14, 2021, 02:42:02 PM »
Speaking of getting older and more and more feeble. I forgot to take my blood pressure medicine last night. I brushed my teeth and then wandered from the bathroom to the kitchen to make my pre-workout drink and remembered I didn't take my pills. And by the time I returned to the bedroom, I grabbed my book and started reading and that was that. There was my medicine still in the container this morning. So like a good person, I took it. Then I went to work out as usual. My blood pressure was so low I thought I was going to pass out, but managed to keep my wits (such as they are) about me.

I've now eaten and feel a bit better. I'm still not up to three digits on the top number, but I'm no longer technically hypotensive (clinically low BP), so I hope to hell I remember to take my pills at night like I'm supposed to do. I wouldn't be so upset with myself if it had completely slipped my mind, but I knew in the kitchen I hadn't taken them.)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: June 14, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »
Easily done, Patti.  But hopefully not too often.   Once it get past the usual time one's brain tends to tick it off as having been done.

On occasion I have reached Sunday morning (I'm a morning pill taker) and found two days worth of pills left in that week's strip.  Sometimes I can work back and find out which day I missed, but other times it's a complete mystery.

I remember my doctor saying "Missing an odd day here and there won't kill you.  But taking a double dose, or two doses too close together, will make you feel really rough."

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: June 14, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
I think I might lower my dose this evening if I don't feel better. I take 1.5 pills and probably should have skipped the half part this morning since 1/3 of the day was already gone. My BP is on the low side, still, but not dangerously low. I'm sure I will be grateful that I don't have a stroke in five to ten years, if the treatment doesn't kill me before then.

geoffnelder

• View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #6041 on: June 14, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »
I've reached that age now that the characters in my books have more sex than me. Even then I was criticised by a book group after I did a reading from Escaping Reality that while they enjoyed the sex scenes in the novel (I worried it was too explicit) there wasn't enough!
I too sometimes forget to take a tablet by realising the next day. It doesn't seem to matter much in my case. My bp issue is hypertension for which there are zero symptoms as such. I'd eventually notice if I stopped taking my levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, and maybe my blood platelets would start thickening again giving me angina if I stopped taking ticagrelor.
I recall that news story of an elderly couple taking their yacht too close to Somalia and being kidnapped. The pirates spared their lives but took all of his big box of medication. He died within a month while his wife was released a year or so later. He probably died from his diabetes but of course there was no post-mortem. Shame.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: June 15, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
My hypertension is episodic and rare, but the doctor is killing me now to keep me from having a stroke in five to ten years. So that's good. I can't tell when I don't take my meds. I just find them in the pill container. I did, however, manage to actually take the damn stuff last night and woke up and managed my workout without getting lightheaded. So that was a good thing.

It took me much of the day to finally start feeling better from taking my meds in the morning and then working out. I can't imagine what it would be like if I hadn't bargained for a lower dose. I might have just died yesterday. But I saved myself.

Just three years ago I was drug free in America and now I have to remember to take pills twice a day. Once has to be with meals and once has to be at bedtime. I am so excited to be able to keep Big Pharma rolling along.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
I have had a subscription to The Great Courses Plus for about 1.5 years. They recently partnered with another service or two or three and they changed their name to Wondrium and can be found a wondrium.com.

They changed everything a week ago and every damn time I open the thing, it tells me that they changed the damn thing and I have to say "Got It" or click on "Tell me More" or X out of the box. Why did they not have a cookie that says that I've visited the site several times now and am both sick and tired of clicking out of the "new and improved bullshit" box. I have tried clicking both buttons in the hope that one of them will make the box stop appearing. So far, no luck.

Other than that, I have found the thing to be delightful. I have been watching a series of videos on The World from Above. The Alps from above are spectacular. So was Yellowstone National Park. They have many of these and I intend to watch them all eventually.

I truly like the upgrade and it isn't costing me any more per month. All the Great Courses courses are still available and I'm learning all about pirates as well.

If you are looking for a place to spend both time and money, it is a lovely place (except for that damn intro box) and I believe they have a 30 day free trial available.

They cover topics in there I'm never going to access. I have taken some math(s) classes, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to try to understand higher math. I never could get calculus to make sense and see no reason to keep trying at this late date. But their history, science, literature, etc. classes have been wonderful. The new additions seem interesting and informative.

I'm also subscribed to Curiosity Stream with comes with a companion site called Nebula. They are much cheaper (and have fewer options available) but are nevertheless quite interesting. All this and I still watch You Tube. I think I watch too much. But if you want a fun 2-3 minute video there, Calbel has little one liners read by a computer and have no overarching subject matter. Just odd thoughts that have made me actually laugh - even out loud.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: June 17, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
Good morning y'all it's 4:37....

I'll have my usual coffee with half n half

Look what I found