Author Topic: BWF Bar and Grill  (Read 482886 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 15
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: BWF Bar and Grill
« Reply #5985 on: May 03, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
11 years ago Tim, the Red Barren, passed away.

Bones fill everyone's cup so we may toast a truly funny human with a heart of gold.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: May 03, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
I'll gladly drink to that.  A fine man.

And here's the tune which always turned up on such occasions in the old place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3Bcgh4Jko

Play it loud, play it proud, and...

"Drink!"

Cheers, Tim.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:42:40 PM by Gyppo »

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: May 03, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »

Bones fill everyone's cup so we may toast a truly funny human with a heart of gold.

raises glass I'll drink to that...

I've decided to pick up litter while walking Pigs down the trail. Every thing was ok until I stumbled across multiple dump sites from former homeless camps. I've sent an email to a volunteer group regarding cleaning supplies (puncture resistant gloves)

While the city is responsible for needle pick up,it's hard to give them an exact location when you're 75 feet off the beaten path....

I could light a fire,I'm sure they'd frown upon me doing so lol

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: May 04, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
In today's climate, that drink song looks like sexual harassment

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
Political correctness is an elevated assemblage of taurine excremental waste ;-)

Does anyone else remember when climate just referred to the weather.  Good or bad.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:23:02 AM by Gyppo »

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: May 05, 2021, 09:33:36 AM »
Historically, at least in what we think of as the liberal west, the tendency is for common sense to reassert itself against extremes - or the lunatic fringe, if you prefer.  Political correctness of the latter type may already have had its day.  Perhaps it's time for those of us who consider ourselves reasonable beings but not easy meat for bullies to tell it like it is.  If someone disrespects me, it may not be because I'm a woman, it may be because he's a generally rude person.  It may even be because I've given him cause to dislike me.  If a person of non-European heritage gets mugged, it may not be racism - it may be he's just been unlucky enough to meet a mugger.

Genuine racial and gender prejudice - even if it's unconscious - is unacceptable and should be called out.  But can we stop hunting the shadows for bogies?  Sometimes what is moving unseen in the darkness is just the family cat.  Attributing incorrect motives and attitudes to people who, whatever their other failings, do not hold them does no one any good, least of all the cause of equality.  Irritating the decent majority is not how you earn respect for your cause.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:21 AM »
Quite.  Exactly.

I have quite a long line of what the modern world calls 'strong women' in my family tree.

But they don't follow the common stereotype - sometimes false and sometimes painfully real -  of constantly putting down men in order to boost their own fragile ego.

As soon as I hear a militant female utter the trite phrase 'all men..." I know she's from the dark side, not the cooperative 'we're all human beings lets talk sense' side of any debate.  I'm less likely to listen to her, even if some or much of what she says makes sense.

I can draw a valid comparison with fiction here.

In fiction we know better - or should do - than to 'tone down' a secondary character who seems to be 'taking over' the lead role.  We should boost the others so they're equals no matter how competetiv.

We help the weaker characters, we don't just pity them, tell them to get a life, and leave them in the margins.  (Unless we are deliberately writing a 'complete waste of space total failure', and even then we try to make them a bit more human.)

Life is the same.  Entrenched positions  where you can only bolster yourself by pressing your foot across someone else's throat aren't good for you.

To play with Jo's phrase,   Sometimes it not even the family cat moving in the dark, it's just just a random play of light and shadow.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: May 05, 2021, 03:29:35 PM »
My country is so totally divided against itself, that it is hemorrhaging and about to exsanguinate. We are so busy trying to "correct" the past when the past is gone. We need to fix the present but that would take more than throwing money at something and Americans are really, really good at throwing money around and believing that fixes a problem.

I remember a time when things were not always so completely right/totally wrong. When we lived in shades of gray and some things were just the way humans interact without malice or prejudice, but simply dumb meatbags.

Rectifying our current situation would be more beneficial, by orders of magnitude, than trying to fix something in the past. I know of no one who can change even one nanosecond of the past.

Some woman in LA wanted to make current legal owners of properties give them to descendants of black people who owned it and had it taken from them because that would fix everything. I don't know what happens if the current legal owner is black, but ... you know, stuff. She did not say if she was advocating for the return of LA to the Natives or the Mexicans who had lived there first and second respectively. She also did not say how the improvement to the property over the last century or more was to be addressed. She just spoke Stupid in a public place.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: May 06, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »
I have just fitted a new gas strut to my office swivel chair, and its suspension and comfort has been transformed.  It's been at least a couple of years since the last  refit, probably three, and during April's NAPO I was being plagued by a pain in one side of my back.  Felt like a pulled muscle but I couldn't recall anything which may have caused it.

I noticed the chair was slowly lowering itself in the course of each a day, despite being reset to my ideal position at the start of each day.  I finally finally made the connection and ordered a new strut, which arrived yesterday.

I showed Alma how to change the damned thing, and had to explain what WD-40 did, and why it was called 'penetrating oil'.  As always it took a lot of thumping with a hefty hammer to dislodge the parts.  My rubber mallet - Thor's Training Hammer - lacked the bounce-free 'jarring' action necessary.

But eventually I got the seat free from the stem, and the stem from the spider base.  All five castors leapt out and rolled away and the little lass took great delight in recovering them and 'keeping them safe' in a plastic box until I needed them again.

With the new and still compressed strut safely installed I sat Alma on the seat ready to launch her to the full height - 11" of lift - when I worked the lever.

Last time she shot up like a rocket, so I told her to hold on.  But she's grown taller and heavier since the last 'flight' so this time it was more of a stately rise.  So I let her play with it for a while.

I also showed her how to properly - if temporarily - tighten a loose hammer head by suspending it upside down and striking the end opposite the head.  She thought this was 'a kind of  magic', so she also had a 'practical physics' lesson about the inertia of the hefty head, and the comparative high velocity - over a short distance - of the lightweight handle.  She loves learning  stuff like this where she can see and feel the results.

She'll probably explain it all to her teacher tomorrow ;-)

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: May 07, 2021, 03:09:32 PM »
I have never tried to fix a chair. When it is broken, I buy a new one. I think I'm on chair four or five in the last 35 years, so it isn't like I'm buying a new chair each year. This one is several years old but still very comfortable. The only issue with it is all my hair that is trapped in the wheels. I've tried cleaning them a few times, and it is a thankless job.

I moved a little more than 1.5 tons in my workout this morning, albeit in small increments, and my back is no worse than when I started. I begin each morning stiff and unable to move (which might make Mark say something dirty) but eventually, I am more mobile and less painful.

I know I sit too much after my morning gym time. You would think I could make myself not do that. But I can't. Or at least, I don't.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: May 07, 2021, 11:10:14 PM »
I have tried dismantling office chair wheels to remove the hair but they don't want to come apart easily.  Sometimes of course they just fall apart, or they used to.  I assume the two halves of the wheel are pressed onto the axles at the factory.  Thirty or more years ago they would sometimes fall apart in use.

Modern wheels have a shielded top, which means you can longer get into them and pry them apart with a pair of tyre lever or similar.

I've wondered about using one of those vicious drain-cleaning liquids which can dissolve hair, but worry it might also damage the plastic parts.

If I ever come up with a simple and safe answer I'll let you know.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: May 09, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »
Sat too much again yesterday, but it was worth it. Long car ride to and from Craig's house, but we celebrated Mother's Day early since he is working today. It is so fun to see the family and Dax is growing like a weed. Frankie is just a half inch shorter than her mother, but Dayna still prevails. For a short time.

Craig talked gym stuff with us and suggested some more equipment to get to round out the gym. Because we are getting stronger, he would like some heavier crap to live here. The other choice is increased volume and that has its own problems. So, I guess I go on a hunting spree for a heavier kettlebell and some heavier dumbbells. I could do stuff at his house with the heavier stuff, so I guess I'm ready. I did not try anything with his 90# dumbbells. I'm not ready for that nonsense.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #5997 on: May 11, 2021, 09:39:25 PM »

11 years ago already? Damn, we're getting old here.  :o
I'll have a belated drink in his memory.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: May 14, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »
My great niece is finishing up kindergarten. She was reading about the history of the Iditarod and rushing the serum to Nome. Pam said how interested she was in this and I said I had a picture of the monument and so I had to go and find it to send it to Emery. While doing so, I came across some scrapbooks I had made and found some old pictures.

I'm now old and gray, but at one time, I was young and a fiery redhead. Here is some proof. Dick and I were someplace, but I will be damned if I can pinpoint where it was. May have been Acapulco, but could have been St. Croix. Somewhere not Ohio. 

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #5999 on: May 16, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »
By the time I finished in kindergarten (in Germany) I was bilingual but have mostly forgotten my German since.
Now 4 weeks since my left arm has had to do the work of both arms, (right still in a sling from bust collarbone) so it is sufficiently bulked up to mow the lawn - mind you, with a push mower! I reset the height to make it easy mowing with one hand. As I was on a roll, I assembled my electric hair shears and cut my hair. Obviously I took my spectacles off so it was out of focus. A lot piled up on the floor but I've not dared examine the mirror too closely.