Author Topic: BWF Bar and Grill  (Read 350186 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: BWF Bar and Grill
« Reply #5475 on: September 12, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »
My sisters and I are meeting on Zoom for our weekend get together. We will laugh and commiserate and crochet and have a wonderful afternoon.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 32
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: September 12, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »
What's happening today, people? Any big plans?

No big plans, but the weeds and self-seeded saplings in my overgrown garden are still being steadily reduced 'one bite at a time'.  Having said that today, apart from a few hours early on, has been a lazy (recovery) day.  Alma's visit was delayed a day because of her being sick, but she dropped by for a few hours on Friday afternoon/evening.  Not quite her usual whirlwind of activity, but still a very 'busy' little miss.

We had a discussion about whether or not squirrels eat nuts whilst still up in the trees, or are they just gathering them for the various 'stashes' ready for winter.  I told her both, that they're working hard to get ready for the winter, so they need a little snack every now and then. I explained how they'll nibble away at a hazelnut until they weaken the shell enough to make it break open, then they'll eat the kernel  and just drop the shell.  I'm hoping to find one with teeth marks for her 'nature table'.  We've already seen some half eaten 'green' acorns but they tend to start rotting pretty quickly.  The hazel nut shells last a lot longer so the teeth marks are easier to see.

At the moment there's still too many leaves on the Oaks to really see the squirrels except when they're moving.  Even then they're just greyish shapes scampering around.  Betrayed by the bobbing and dipping of the thinner branches and twigs.  Occasionally one will sit on the fence for his lunch break, but there's a lot of cats around here so they're very wary.

Three or four of the local cats are very good at getting up into the lower parts of the trees and hiding there.  This includes the three-legged cat I call Tripod.  The first time I saw him up there I was rather surprised.  I know he can run like the clappers when he needs to, but I didn't really expect him to be much of climber.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: September 13, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »
Bones, if you be so kind as to make up a plate of chocolate chip pancakes topped with strawberries, strawberry syrup, and whipped cream. Then put some crisp bacon on the side and of course, some coffee. Thanks.

Today's project, I'm turning a stack of bandannas I don't use any more into face masks, which I do use every time I go out. I may post pictures later. If they turn out.

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: September 14, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
Gyppo. I hate to act like an old hen but, in these days of COVID-19, as much as you love your granddaughter, you may want to use caution with sick loved ones.

I'm just sayin'...

She'll get a lot more use out of you and you'll be able to appreciate her more if you are alive.

Stay well!

I think I may regret this post later, but maybe not.

I've used the good Lord's natural anxiety remedies and am not feeling my usual self. Or maybe I'm feeling too much.

Either way, be cautious. We love you too.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: September 14, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
It's okay, Deb.  She's got an ear infection, and the sickness comes from the raised temperature, etc.  Both my girls had the same problem as kids.

This is only the second time in seven and a half years that she's had antibiotics for anything.

I'm far more careful than most people think.  Just as I'm far more organised than  anyone realises.

=====

On a lighter subject...  I was watching a bird pecking away on the green opposite my office window and thinking something wasn't quite right.  We get  lot of wood-pigeons around here, and collared doves.  I was thinking it was the fattest pigeon I've ever seen ;-)

Then a real pigeon flew down nearby and the size difference confirmed my growing suspicions that it wasn't a pigeon at all.

It was some kind of small duck, but very similar in colouring.  I went out on the doorstep for a better look and could see it had a definite flattened bill as opposed to a beak.   Then it flew off before I could get a better look and it definitely flew like a duck.

There's small pond about quarter of a mile away where mallards sometimes stay overnight and then wander around during the day dropping slimy green crap on the picnic table and benches.

I shall have to break out the bird book later and see if I can identify it.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: September 14, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
When I dropped off the baby blankets, I bought a whole bunch of yarn. I mean a whole bunch.

Hobby Lobby sells some (their own brand) that I really like, but when it was on sale, there wasn't free shipping and when there was free shipping, it wasn't on sale. Yesterday, it was on sale with free shipping. I bought a whole bunch of yarn. I mean  whole bunch. I'm not even really sure where I'm going to put it all. I'm sure I will find a spot somewhere.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: September 14, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
Talking of not knowing where to put stuff...

Where there's a will there's a way ;-)

Many years ago there was a national - possibly international for all I know, surfeit of tinned baked beans.  These were Heinz baked beans, not some supermarket's 'own brand' cheapy ones with a lot more liquid to make up the weight.

Our local supermarket was selling them at a penny a can, but with 'no more than three dozen per transaction'.  No limit on repeat visits though.  These were not shrink-wrapped in 6's, 12's, or 24's like modern 'bulk buys.  They were all loose cans.  I went there and came back with three dozen cans in my rucksack.  Other people were filling their car boots with them.  I saw a family going through the checkout where the parents and each of the four children were pushing a trolley with 'their quota'.

A neighbour said he was having nothing to do with it, 'It's just a con to get you into the shop so you'll buy other stuff you don't really need'.  He was a crabby old git, always looking for the snags in life.  Apart from which he 'didn't fancy having to eat beans every day until he got rid of them'.  (The kind of man who, had he won the football pools, would have 'had to buy houses and cars until all the damned money was used up'.)

The next day I went back for some more, and Mum came too, collecting a couple of dozen cans in her slightly smaller rucksack.  We did this three or four times a week until the offer ended.  By which time we had several hundred of the blue-labelled cans.  As Mum pointed out, we would never have even thought of buying that many if we were still in the caravan.

Mum, perhaps wisely, decided it wouldn't be a good idea to put all that weight into the kitchen cabinets hanging from the walls.

But where could we put them all?  Somewhere out of the way but easy enough to get to when needed?  Not in the loft where they'd be a bugger to get back down, or in the garage where the cans might go rusty.

We stacked some in the cupboard under the stairs, but there was already a load of other 'be useful some day' stuff there.  In the end we stacked them like a brick wall behind the living room furniture and it took a few years to use them all.  But even the last can was still within date.

I still remember the lady next door sitting on our sofa, having a cup of tea, and wondering aloud why we had wallpaper 'like a stack of baked bean cans', under the living room window.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: September 14, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
I may be a silly old git, but I don't eat beans and never have. I pick them out of stuff like chili. I don't eat hummus. I don't eat bean soup, but I do like the broth, so I used to make it for Dick and the boys and not eat any of the beans.

If I had bought hundreds of cans of beans, I have no idea what I would have been able to do with them.

Vienna

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
Hello folks, hope you are all well and coping with the ongoing situation. I haven't been around actively for a while, but now have more time. We had a big move down to the south of austria and now live in Klagenfurt. My wife had had enough of Vienna and wanted to come back to where she is from. We have a little apartment and are planning the house that is going to be built on a piece of land her father gave us. The kiddies have started a new school and I have retired 6 months before time, officially I am still on holiday but from 1st October I am Senior. I hope to have more time to be active again on here, and also am planning to take part in NANOWRIMO. Also getting on with learning the guitar, being a “houseman” and Ma-in-Law has decided she cannot cope with the garden anymore so we will slowly take that over too. Took some getting used to living here but now slowly getting used to the village life.

Drinks and eats are on me

Cheers Richard

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
I assume you will be changing your BWF handle to Klagenfurt (surely that's German for a blocked artery?) to avoid misleading people.
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: September 16, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »
Welcome back, V. Or K.

Retirement is so different. Not like an extended vacation at all. There is now no one and nothing (other than a cranky spouse) to compel you to achieve the things. It is all up to you and being your own boss is really quite difficult. Having many projects set to go is a great way to start on this next part of your life.

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: September 17, 2020, 04:14:44 AM »
Okay, Gyppo. I hope the little lass is feeling better soon. Earaches and toothaches are the worst.

Hi, Richard. Great to see you back. I see you at the other place giving the extremist there a run for her money when I peek in from time to time.  Maybe we can get some poetry challenges going again.

I hear village life is good. I'm sure you'll adjust nicely and congrats on the retirement.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:19:19 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »
The riverbed, trails, and paths clean up has the go-ahead from the city and the county, so we'll do it on September 26th. Our local radio guy announced it today after seeing my Facebook post with the video of the terrible trash problem.

Facebook is good for some things, I suppose.

I wish I could get a grip on my anxiety. I'm pretty sure that's why I liked wine so much. Too bad my liver doesn't like it.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: September 17, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »
I know it sounds rather trite and proscriptive, but meditation, even for just five minutes, will calm you. There are many introductory apps that do a talking meditation. There are also YouTube series of meditations that talk you through the start up process. The ability to sit still and relax is lost to most of us who go, go and then go some more.

Once you start meditating, you can actually go for longer than five minutes, but until you try, you have no idea how long five minutes is to sit quietly and try to not think about anything.

Another hint is to just sit quietly and and inhale to a count of four or five and then exhale to count of six or seven. A longer exhale is supposed to kick in the parasympathetic system which is the opposite of the fight or flight system.

Bones, I made an early morning Walmart foray today. I simply do not understand the people who wear a mask incorrectly. They have all the discomfort and misery of wearing a mask without the benefits of doing so.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: September 19, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
I don't know if I'm a bit manic-depressive or if everyone goes through cyclic moods, but I go from really happy to eventually really not so happy. It is usually manifested in my response to my amount of crocheting projects or my behavior in the gym. Last week, I was in the lowest arc of this circle.

This week, although I haven't done much better, I'm happier with my results. In fact, today, I got 7 Double Unders in a row, something I could do at the gym frequently, but haven't been able to do here in the driveway with a different surface to jump on. So it felt good and I felt good enough to enjoy it.