Author Topic: BWF Bar and Grill  (Read 331362 times)

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 18
    • View Profile
Re: BWF Bar and Grill
« Reply #5310 on: July 29, 2020, 01:24:32 PM »
I love the names. Is there a cool Dutch name for those thick savoury pancakes you get in Amsterdam? If not, could I suggest, eggieyumflatlyroundsnort?
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: July 29, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
I'll have a Belgian waffle with strawberries, cherries, and whipped cream. And coffee.

And bacon.

And perhaps, more coffee.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #5312 on: July 29, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
I don't really know which pancakes you're talking about, Mark. I've never eaten pancakes in Amsterdam. But all pannenkoekenrestaurants or pannenkoekenhuizen serve the thick ones. Personally, I prefer the thinner ones, because you can eat more of them. And all pannenkoekenrestaurants serve both sweet and savoury ones. They're all simply called pannenkoeken.

Though, back when I was a child, they were called pannekoeken, without the third n. Which made perfect sense, because you make them in one pan, not in several pans. And that 's what that third "n" indicates: it's plural, as in fietsenmaker (bike technician), who obviously repairs many bikes, or he would be out of business. But nowadays, apparently children aren't as intelligent as they used to be, for this rule was considered to be too difficult and all these compound words are now written with the middle n. Which I think is perfectly stupid. A stupid rule for stupid people. But I'm a pedant.

Anyway, back to pannenkoeken. My favourite is the one with spinach, tomato and mozzarella. It's really just the Dutch version of pizza. :)
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves and a woman in a wheelchair

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »
I like crepes topped with fruit and whipped cream. Blintz are also good the same way. They are both all right with sweetened cream cheese filling as well. But the fruit on top of that is also good.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: July 31, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
Bones it's far to early for beer but I'll have a truckers breakfast 8)

Hope everyone is doing well...

After suffering in this heatwave I've decided to buy an industrial fan to help pigs keep cool,poor mutt was feeling ill this week :(

Also will have to buy a bigger portable AC next year,5,000 BTU ain't cutting it >:(

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: July 31, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
My sister is getting more and more disturbed as school's starting date looms closer. Each time she asks HOW she is supposed to do the things they want her to do, she is given absolutely NO answer.

Teachers in the US spend their own money (lots of money over time) to accumulate a classroom library. The students are permitted/encouraged to read from this library during any free time. The teachers were told that they will be fumigating the classrooms after school hours and not to put any papers up on the wall as the mist from the spray will damage paper. So now they are worried about their considerable investment in their books. Will the spray hurt them? One teacher suggested they cover the books, however, the nurse (me) pointed out that if the books aren't fumigated, they too are a carrier for viruses. If you can't touch the student papers for 48 hours after they hand them in, the books will either have to be risked, or used only on say, Monday and Thursday each week.

Just one more consideration as we hope to cram kids into small classrooms all masked up and not touching each other or anything interesting while our President is too uncomfortable to wear a mask for more than a few minutes and thinks maybe voting in November should be postponed because it might not be safe.

I live in a world of dumb.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #5316 on: July 31, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
Is it at all possible for you sister to just bring all those books home with her? And then maybe she could create an index and the children could choose which book they wanted to read, and your sister could bring that book, and then the child could borrow it for a couple of days/weeks and then hand it in again. A bit like how an ordinary library works.

Then, when a book has been handed in again, she could quarantine it for 48 hours. It's a hassle, but it might just save her books.

Just one more consideration as we hope to cram kids into small classrooms all masked up and not touching each other or anything interesting while our President is too uncomfortable to wear a mask for more than a few minutes and thinks maybe voting in November should be postponed because it might not be safe.

That's a fairly clever move for someone who has peas for brains. He could establish himself a nice dictatorship that way.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: July 31, 2020, 11:25:08 PM »
That may work for higher grades, but in kindergarten, they are basically picture books with a few words per page and the little darlings are not real readers yet anyway. They wouldn't be able to scan a list of titles.

Much of her concern is how often they still put things in their mouths and then touch everything and are terribly unsocialized. They also sometimes have bathroom issues which is just too much ....

One of her lessons during this first year of schooling is how to share. The thing they share the most is their germs. She gets strep throat at least one per year. She is hoping that with masks on, the flu and colds swapping may be curbed along with Covid.

The logistics of keeping so many little kids sitting for seven hours a day, not touching all the things, no play centers, very few manipulatives since they can't be sanitized, and masks for all is daunting to even think about.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #5318 on: August 01, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
In my country, the authorities insist that children hardly ever spread the virus. I'm not sure I believe them, but the outbreak management team claim their findings suggest this is true.

I hope for your sister's sake - and actually, for everyone's sake - they are right.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
We got kids dying over here. Many of them don't get as sick as adults and that makes them more like Typhoid Mary, spreading the germs without themselves feeling ill.

They are finding that this virus, like the 1918 pandemic, can in some few cases, cross the blood brain barrier and cause brain damage, although they don't know how long lasting or persistent that is. There is a theory that the brain damage from the flu and not a stroke is what took out Wilson at the Versailles Treaty negotiations and the French guy won over the British guy and they got the treaty they wanted which turned out to be the leading cause of the Great Depression and then that pesky WWII.

It really is the little things.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #5320 on: August 01, 2020, 03:16:30 PM »
Yes, that's what I've been thinking all this time. Just because most children don't get as sick, doesn't mean they're not contagious.

This virus is pretty damn scary. Part of that is because we still don't know enough about it, but a large part of that is that it really is a particularly nasty one. What we see so far, is that recovered patients need lots of physical and occupational therapy, and they don't make fast or easy progress. And nobody knows if the damage is lasting.

People who were healthy (no underlying conditions) pre-covid, are now struggling to simply lift a bag of groceries. Ex-patients have lung- and heart-damage. I didn't hear about the brain damage before, but it doesn't surprise me. Really, nothing surprises me anymore when we're talking about Covid-19.

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #5321 on: August 01, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
Still not taking chances. Not going to shops  or on buses. I'm cycling everywhere - more room on the roads than walking on pavements.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:17 AM »
Good afternoon Bones, wouldn't mind a nice cool beverage. The days are getting longer in Oz, a lot warmer too
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 31
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: August 02, 2020, 06:34:28 AM »
Morning, Fly.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: August 02, 2020, 09:49:57 AM »
Hey Gyp, how goes you?

Ramping up for another lockdown by the looks here. Melbourne is doomed, Sydney will be next
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive