Author Topic: BWF Bar and Grill  (Read 579940 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: BWF Bar and Grill
« Reply #6045 on: June 17, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »
From Shower Thoughts

Computer keyboards are just word pianos.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #6046 on: June 18, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
Plink, plonk, splosh.

Because of my hearing issues I hate using phones. My mobile rang and I was too hesitant to answer in time. Then I had a text message. I was busy writing so Gaynor answered it saying it's the same number that rang you and the message says "Who is this?"  Well, I wasn't going to give away my ID data so I replied, "Who wants to know?"    No response yet.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: June 18, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
I had to wake up three times this morning before I could make myself get out of bed. But now I'm officially awake. So I guess I'm ready to start the day.

I have a whole chicken in the Crockpot. If I didn't have to do that, I probably would have fallen asleep even one more time. But we eat at noon-ish and it's a big chicken.

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: June 18, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »
Greetings All!

Hope everyone is well.  I finally had to just demand a day off work. Each day was becoming one big rolling frustration that never went away. We have been so busy, and I always work hard. But damn, people. I have only taken one day off since the beginning of the year.  I really didn't even realize that myself until I started looking through my calendar to make sure I didn't take any days I'd forgotten about.

And why is it the people who work the hardest and who are the most conscientious seem to be the people who get beat up the most? It's like all the slackers of the world get a free pass because, well, they're slackers.

I had the chance this morning to piece together a little life lesson about my writing.

I've missed my Tuesday post for the last couple of weeks because A) I'm exhausted mentally, B) I'm exhausted physically and couldn't force myself out of bed early enough to get it done, and C) Once I did get up, I started a few half-hearted sentences but couldn't spark on anything of any value or meaning. So I opted to not post at all.

This morning I had the makings of a great idea, but it was truly executed poorly. I wanted to finish it and get it posted within the same time frame.  When I'm working, I make sure to have everything posted by 8am so no one can accuse me of playing around during work hours. Even though I'm not working this morning, I wanted to get it posted around the same time in hopes of keeping something relatively consistent.

Over the last few weeks, I've experienced this 'great idea/poor execution' thing. There have been a few times I've let the good idea simmer and write something else in hopes of creating a masterpiece, which seldom happens. I don't beat myself up too bad over it because I spent the first 40 years of my life doing that, and it got me nowhere.  But it does nag me a bit to know that I have untapped potential.

I don't know how this unrelated scenario connected:  A couple of years ago at work, a lady said she thought it was nice that I always end my emails with "Hope you're having a great day" comment.  She didn't know that I use the Outlook signature function that puts it on every email I send.  I do that because I don't want to rely on my mood at the time I send an email.  Some days my frustration level is pretty high, and if I said what I was thinking, I'd probably already be fired.

This morning it hit me that if I would get my doo-doo together and start writing my posts in advance, I would achieve a similar benefit.  I wouldn’t have to worry about how I felt that morning, whether or not a brainstorm hits, or whether I am too busy at work and feel compelled to get started early, etc. Trust me, I’m not always my best self at 5am.

I’ve been resistant to the idea of writing ahead because I get really energized working under pressure. Some of the best papers I wrote for school were written within minutes of being due.
But If I could get in the habit, it would also allow me the time needed to develop my ideas and craft some nice pieces of work. I suppose

I could still write and post something spontaneously if an idea wakes me up. But I wouldn’t have to rely on my mood, energy level, attitude, etc. for all those days when nothing strikes.

This is probably old news for many of you who are professional writers.  I’m still working on becoming that. For now, I’m enjoying my two posts a week. Nothing too demanding. But I do think it is time to take it a little more seriously.
And like my good-old faithful email signature, no one would be the wiser for how long it took me to massage an idea and edit a nice post.  Or what kind of mood I was in when I posted it.

Motivation for Life

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: June 18, 2021, 06:46:05 PM »
Hi, Wordy.

Here's a few thoughts for you, and anyone else who finds themselves in the same situation.  Especially those who enjoy  - or used to enjoy - the adrenaline boost of writing under pressure.

I)  It's wonderful whilst it lasts. When the ideas are flowing like champagne at a celebrity wedding.  When you just know you can hammer out your regular column as fast as you can type.  It's a gloriously intoxicating feeling, although there will usually be a corresponding slump at some point later in the day, or the week.

It's probably that slump which is hitting you now, making you doubt yourself a little.  And doubt is a very uncomfortable situation for a writer, especially when they're normally prolific.  It's diametrically opposed to the cold-eyed edit where you're looking for finer details to improve what you already know is pretty damned good.  In a state of doubt your looking for things to merely justify hitting [SEND] on something you're not really happy with.

2)  You've already sensed the major advantages of 'writing ahead', in that you, a) always have something good you can send out, and, b) you've built a little safety net for if things go wrong.

Regular columnists who write a daily 'opinion piece' on the current news will always have an 'emergency 'column or two in their files for the days when they're too ill to write (rare), or when the news is so lacklustre they can't spin dry straw into wordy gold.  These spare columns are on subjects which will always press the readers' hot buttons, even if there is no news to trigger them.

=====

But what you're looking for, I suspect, is a way to have the best of both worlds.

Try this...

Set aside some time and write a batch of columns back to back at one sitting.  You will find that one idea springs from another.  That the unanswered questions from the first will be answered in the second or third.  Make the most of this flow whilst it's there, riding the temporary mania whilst it lasts.

When you write a relatively short column there will nearly always be one more thing you'd truly like to squeeze in, but the punitive word budget says no.  That extra item or thought is usually worthy of expanding a bit, making another column, rather than brutally curtailing it to make it fit.

For the first three or four you'll be using self-induced pressure/deadlines instead of external.  Which puts you back in charge.  You'll find a natural rhythm in there.  Maybe three columns before you begin to flag, maybe more.  Maybe only two.  (Once you've done a few batches you'll know what works for you.)

Then back off as soon as you feel it start to slacken.  Don't press on and write stuff you know isn't really good enough.  Don't feed mediocrity.   Don't tell yourself you're just capturing the ideas and you'll improve them later.   If it starts to feel like that either stop, or make a conscious gearchange and deliberately write 'bullet point notes' instead.  If you think the ideas are worth saving.

QUOTE:  'That which is written without enthusiasm is read without interest.'

If writing in batches gives you back your enthusiasm it's well worth changing your routine.

Gyppo

WordBird

• View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: June 18, 2021, 09:04:08 PM »
Thank you, Gyppo.

That is a wonderful idea Gyppo. Funny, I use the 'batch' method all day long at my job. Why on earth did I not think of it's usefulness for my writing?  Probably indicative of my view that writing is my "hobby."  Maybe this is all further indicative that my view is changing.  :D :D

Motivation for Life

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: June 18, 2021, 09:57:36 PM »
You're welcome ;-)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: June 19, 2021, 10:50:51 AM »
Remember when Bones, our skeletal barman, was a regular feature here, sometimes with his equally bony lady friend, Shakira?

Here's a spot of nostalgia abut them...

Ye gods...  In and out like a fiddlers elbow today.

"Orange juice and a bacon sarnie please, Bones.  See you had a quiet night.  You've not been fiddling with the closed sign again have you?

"Oh, I see, just grabbing a bit of well-earned rest in case BWs party really kicks off later tonight.  Sounds plausible.  But you look shifty.  And is that Shaky's breathless giggle I hear from behind the bar, and her slender well turned ankle bones I see peeping?

"Wait a minute, what are these scratch marks on some of the barstools?  [Leans over the bar.]  "Morning, Shaky M'Dear.  I hope our skinny friend here has been looking after you, and not just letting you work your non-existent little arse off?

"I know what you've been doing, Bones.  You had a whole lot of your skeletal friends in here last night for a bit of a rave, didn't you?  Don't shake your skull at me, the signs are clear enough now I realise what I'm looking for."

"Let's see if you remembered that trick I taught you to temporarily disable the security cameras."  [Checks and sees nothing has been recorded for several hours.  Sets it running again.]

"You're a crafty old bag of bones, aren't you?  I won't say anything, but Nick and Karl might get a bit annoyed.  This is supposed to be a private members club..."

"They're only the restless skeletons of long dead writers?  I suppose that's okay then.  As long as you check their IDs.   We don't want any riff-raff in here.

"What's Shaky laughing about now?

"Really?  Fair enough. Oh, I'd probably have laughed as well if I'd heard Hemingway and Kerouac arguing about who used to have the biggest dick.  Nice gestures, Shaky.  Like two fishermen bragging about the size of their catch, eh?  Hemingway's arms dropped off because he stretched too far...?  And Dickens wrote it up for his online paper, The Bare Bones Gazette?

"Ah, you're winding me up, you bony buggers.  Why don't you go and check the stock  or something while I have my late breakfast in peace."

[As they go out, giggling, Bones flicks a glance at the jukebox, which bursts into song.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYb8Wm6-QfA

Gyppo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:28:38 PM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: June 21, 2021, 12:16:10 AM »
Frankie made a picture book for Papa for Father's Day. This was the cover.

She formatted all the stuff and Walgreens produced the book with her choice of pictures and words in it. The whole book is wonderful but I simply adore the cover.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #6054 on: June 21, 2021, 10:12:12 PM »
That is so sweet!
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: June 27, 2021, 09:00:45 AM »
Good morning, Folks.  Good morning, Bones.

Woke up in a positively upbeat mood  today.  Maybe I had a good dream, even though I can't remember it.  Or maybe my subconscious has solved a problem but has yet to tell my waking self the answer.

Then, joy of joy, I found two spammers waiting for their brief encounter with the Angel of Death and his black blade.

Now I shall have breakfast.

Feeling mildly nostalgic today, which also points toward the good dream/happy memory theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6nURYc5gsc

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: June 27, 2021, 12:57:38 PM »
I was advised to try DuckDuckGo as a browser/search engine. I put it on my phone. I also put it on my tablet and it notified me later in the day about how wonderful it was and what a great job it was doing. So I turned notifications off on my tablet. I did not do that on my phone. So today, Sunday, it notified me at 7 AM, that it was protecting my data. If you have to tell me that at 7 AM, I'm going to be a bit peeved. But when you do that on a Sunday morning, I figure you don't have enough data because that is simply not the thing to do. I have uninstalled it. Asshats.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: July 02, 2021, 11:41:59 AM »
Of course it had 'insufficient data', because you hadn't told it to go and play quietly until you wanted it.

I've been using it as my search engine for some time now and can't recall it ever annoying me with 'announcements'.  Maybe I told it not to when setting it up, (I have a habit of saying 'NO!' to optional extras), or perhaps I'm using an earlier version which didn't try so hard to be 'helpful'.

Most software works better with the 'helpful' extras turned off.  I've given up on trying to educate people who complain about how predictive text on phones messes up all their messages.  "Yeah, I know I can turn it off, but I shouldn't have to."

I rather agree with that, but would you put up with an otherwise good friend who insisted on deliberately dipping his shoes in dogshit every time he came to visit your house?  One hopes not.

I recently downloaded a program, (name already forgotten') to try out.  I don't know what it was doing at start-up, but the time between switch on and ready to use went up by three minutes.  From forty seconds to three minutes and forty seconds.[/i]  So I did a quick check by uninstalling the newcomer and my old desktop went straight back to working as it should.

I spent a fIw more minutes making sure all traces of the 'slug' programme were gone and I certainly don't ned it..

Sometimes new stuff just isn't worth the hassle, and sometimes it is.  Especially if you can just turn off the hassle and keep the good parts.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 01:18:53 PM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: July 02, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »
I know I'm supposed to not want moderated search results and I should just get a load of shit without any prior knowledge. But I really want a different search engine result that is selected because of what I've already searched for. I don't think all websites are created equal and I'm content with having the substandard ones not given the same priority as others.

Because I watch the same video types much of the time, You Tube offers me similar types to discover. That works well for me.

I do realize that it means that flat earthers get more flat earth data to support their claim, but with the right search parameters, I can find flat earth shit on Google too.

I think if you are dumb enough to not set your notifications to arrive later in the morning, you really don't get a second chance. I could have turned off notifications at 11 AM rather than 7 and been only slightly annoyed. But waking me up on one of the few lazy mornings I have and certainly one of the fewer lazy mornings working folks have, is inconceivably stupid. And bad programming.

WordBird

• View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: July 02, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
Greetings All,

I finally had to take a few days off from work. My fuse is too short, and I certainly don't want to say something stupid and lose my job altogether. 

Last week I had a follow up doctor visit, and my blood pressure was 160/112.  That startled me a bit. I've been getting a lot of headaches, and my face gets red and flushed, with red blotches on my neck.  And of course, my temper goes into orbit at times. 

I thought the headaches were because of my glasses needing updated along with staring at a computer screen for several hours at a time.  I thought my face gets red and flushed because of menopause and hot flashes. Those are actually almost over, it's been about four years since they started.  And my temper just comes with the WB package.

I didn't even tell her that my vision also gets blotchy at times, kind of like I've looked at the sun even though I haven't. Finger tips tingle.  I get the picture.  I don't want to die, and now that I know it is my blood pressure, I'll take all the necessary precautions to insure I wake up every day.

I've been taking medicine for about a week now, and I can tell it is better. However, I had to put my foot down with those jakes at work. I took yesterday and today off, and we're off on Monday for the holiday. Technically, I took off Wednesday as well, but I ended up fielding questions and working most of the day to make sure my backup didn't get too overwhelmed with my half done projects.

Hopefully I can take a full week a little later on in the year.  One guy retired, and we have the new person to replace him, but she isn't quite up to speed yet.  I will have to keep working at a fairly brisk pace until I can get her on her own.  That shouldn't take too long.

For the next few days, though, I want to write, relax, and sit outside. Nothing upsetting.  Breathing deep.

Motivation for Life