Author Topic: A link back to Wolfe's very useful 'Tips from the Hip'.  (Read 416 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 22
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
A link back to Wolfe's very useful 'Tips from the Hip'.
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
Well, 20 of them anyway.  There's more Wolfy stuff scattered around the old place, but this is a useful depository.  If you didn't get in a snit and kept your access to MWC you'll be able to log in and browse around even more.

If you did get snitty I think you'll still be able to see these as a guest.  Would someone who is here on BWF but definitely left MWC like to check this for me?

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=45283.msg775330#msg775330

I think the late Alice compiled this list, but another MWC member, Dawn,  provided the link I copied above.

If you find them useful may I suggest a quick copy and paste of the information onto your own system, for your own use,  just in case it ever goes missing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:40:13 PM by Gyppo »

rewh2oman

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A link back to Wolfe's very useful 'Tips from the Hip'.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
Thanks so much, Gyppo! Great idea.

I also see that your new post on MWC, "For new members a useful link to some solid advice (Awaiting Approval)" looks like they deleted it because this is what I get:

AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
THIS TOPIC DOESN'T EXIST ON THIS BOARD.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »
We'll see, if it's waiting approval.  They can't really object to something guiding their members to their own resources.

thatollie

• Kudos: 4
  • Throwing the book at someone isn't literal? My bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Well, 20 of them anyway.  There's more Wolfy stuff scattered around the old place, but this is a useful depository.  If you didn't get in a snit and kept your access to MWC you'll be able to log in and browse around even more.

If you did get snitty I think you'll still be able to see these as a guest.  Would someone who is here on BWF but definitely left MWC like to check this for me?

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=45283.msg775330#msg775330

I think the late Alice compiled this list, but another MWC member, Dawn,  provided the link I copied above.

If you find them useful may I suggest a quick copy and paste of the information onto your own system, for your own use,  just in case it ever goes missing.

And so, I returned to the old place and then I saw this.

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=66853.0

And now I know that it's the last week of October.

So, of course, I'm doomed to compete again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:49:01 AM by thatollie »
Your superior weapons are no match for my crude intellect.

Michael Marnier

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 0
  • Looking for Trouble On The Straits
    • View Profile
    • Michael Marnier - Author
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
All links work fine, Gyppo. Thanks for posting.

AQ
Trouble on the Straits
Action-Adventure on the Florida Straits

Dansinger

• Kudos: 7
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Nice! Wolfe could have a short fuse at times, but his advice has always been great.

How's things at the old place, BTW? I looked around for a bit, and by the looks of it they seem to have managed to bring it back from the death-by-spammers.
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Most of the spam has been killed.  But it still suffers from a serious lack of active members.  It still suffers from having a vast membership list of around 50,000, most of whom haven't posted in years.

I wonder how this feels to new members, a slow but steady trickle, who find it via the internet, think they've found a thriving community, and then see most of the traffic is from the same half dozen names.

Dansinger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 06:45:14 PM »
I think the person who posted this "Why have so many deserted the place they came to for years.....? Only thing I can come up with, after reading through post, is that there are/were some who believed that MWC evolved/evolves around them. " in the Red Barren Bar, says what most newcomers probably think. It makes me sad to think people believe that.
Write one poem a week

wanderer

• Kudos: 1
  • Senior
    • View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »
So, what happened to Wolfe, Hillwalker, etc.?

Dansinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
Wolfe disappeared. Hilly's still at the old place as far as I can tell.
Write one poem a week

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
Wolfe packed his tent and left.  I like to think he's still out there somewhere, occasionally checking up on us but not feeling inspired to join in.  But he was very careful to hide his identity so we have no way of knowing if he's still alive or not.

Most of the poets migrated to a place called The Tangled Branch, which is a poetry only site.  It's quietly flourishing, but as with all sites there are squabbles when people find the reviewers actually offering genuine advice and commentary instead of just saying "Wow.  This is awesome."

Hillwalker is still around.  Sometimes here and sometimes over on the old MWC.  But there is very little being offered for review, both here and there, so we don't see much of him.  If people don't ask questions how can anyone help them?

There is a limit to how many 'how to' postings for potential new writers you can write in a vacuum ;-(

Which is why most of the action on here is in the game threads.  Which is fun,but...

Gyppo

wanderer

• Kudos: 1
  • Senior
    • View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 02:55:36 AM »
Thanks for the responses folks. I notice on most forums, especially art types, that there are more visitors than members in a given day. People researching things and aren't interested in being members or contributors. Usually, only a small number of forum members are contributors, and they come and go with the tide.

So I can understand the loss of some. Life does get in the way of things and I'm also an example of it.

Hillwalker did provide worthy criticism, in my opinion. Glad to also see some here, including you Gyppo. Don't wear a hat for a few days because it won't fit.  ;)

Of course some pass on, and we have lost some great people that way over the years. Life is like a river...

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
Still alive and kicking - but this forum has gone deathly quiet. MWC is a little livelier now the spammers have been banished so we have high hopes it will flourish once again.

H3K