Author Topic: What odd things make you feel old?  (Read 39047 times)

Dwin7454

• Kudos: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What odd things make you feel old?
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
When the doctor says, "you're not twenty five anymore" and your hero, Peter Pan, is no longer there with a quick reply.

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
When the doctor says, "you're not twenty five anymore" and your hero, Peter Pan, is no longer there with a quick reply.

Aw.

I felt old when I overheard a woman say to a man she was with, "Act your age."

I'm not sure how I would respond to that.  ;)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
On Monday, I attended and volunteered to work at an Andrew Yang for President 2020 Rally in Los Angeles, which in and of itself is weird and unprecedented for me. I'm not one to actually work a campaign. That's another story.

There were thousands of people at the rally. Mostly college students. I worked a booth directly in front of the stage at Macarthur Park, about 100 yards away, to the left of the news media platform.  Everyone, there was positive and touting the messages of Andrew Yang and how they were disengaged for so many years and finally found a person to champion in, Andrew Yang, or how they had, "Upgraded" from Bernie Sanders.

One of the volunteers hooked me up with, Slack, which I admitted I had never heard of and I was suddenly dubbed, The Boomer. "We got a Boomer here!"

The Boomer is a 56-year-old woman in a sea of Millenials. That is my official nickname with the group I volunteered with.
I wear that nickname with a sense of pride and a feeling of being old.

Oh, to be 19 or in my 20s again.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Vienna

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
to be serious for a minute, what makes me feel old is when people I know,  that are younger than me, die. as has just happened again. Always makes me think " Just how much time do I have left? "

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
That one always makes you stop and think for a while.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2019, 10:08:21 PM »
Yes, that one's a real bitch.

But here's another one: having your last remaining teeth pulled. well, only the ones in the lower jaw - for now.  ::)
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
I can barely keep up with the new technologies I'm introduced to and I'm skeptical of new technologies and updates. I worry about my data as though I have any control whatsoever to get it all back.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »
Having grandparents who were alive during the reign of Queen Victoria. By that fact, I am not amused.
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
My great-grandfather's dad, my grandmother's grandfather, owned the first car dealership in Raton, New Mexico, Davis's Garage. A.R. Davis was instrumental in designing some of the US highways. Oddly, as highways were redrawn through communities after the Great Depression, the old highway was replaced by an interstate that bypassed the family businesses in Raton which lead to their eventual demise. Our family owned an entire city block of businesses, a car dealership, a machine shop, a hotel and a courtyard with a little souvenir shop. I still have a turn of the century highboy from the Raton Inn.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2019, 07:34:31 PM »
Having a six year old grandaughter who, when told she can start Taekwondo at the age of seven, says she wants to do 'proper knockdown karate'.

Being a gymnastic little kid she fancies flying leaps and kicks.  But it's all flashy and rather uncoordinated stuff.  Her mum was trying to explain that there was no real power behind the way she was doing it, but she didn't want to know.

Her mum looked at me and smiled.

I stood up, set a stool alongside me and invited Alma to kick it over.  She took her flying leap and missed it a few times.  When she finally made contact it just tipped over.

I stood it back up and with an easy looking but powerful short side kick sent it flying across the room.  All whilst firmly rooted on the other leg.

Alma looked at me in amazement.  Looked at her mum as if to say "Did you see that!"  She tried the same move and it barely rocked.

A week later she told me she's been practising.  She seems to have given up on the cinematic moves for now.  I may have to get or make a safe dummy for her to knock about.

There's a little warrior in the making there.

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
Good for her. I love to hear about little ones and their ambitions before they even know what ambitions are.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
I'm liking young Alma more and more.
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
I sheepishly admit to an idiotic move I made last night but did not realize until this morning. I can only blame it on getting old or being blonde or a combination thereof.

On my way home from San Francisco last month, I stopped in Paso Robles to visit my family. My cousin made some delicious bruschetta and gave me the recipe which calls for Trader Joes Premise Lentils.

We live in a small town with one overpriced, corporate grocery store, Vons, and a locally owned grocery store that caters to the Hispanic population which is roughly 80%. Needless to say, there is not a lot to choose from locally.

Last night I went to a Health and Wellness Expo at the Ventura Fairgrounds about a half-hour drive from our house and decided to take advantage of the trip because Ventura offers a great deal of variety for shopping including organic and gourmet grocery stores. One of these stores is Trader Joes. Trader Joes offers a decent assortment of wholesome, organic foods at reasonable prices and they carry the lentils I seek. There is also a store called, Lassens that caters to a more eclectic crowd but still offers organic, wholesome foods and a wide selection of homeopathic supplements and apothecary at steeper prices. 

I left the expo for Trader Joes. I searched the store and could not find the lentils I wanted so I bought some other brand as well as a few organic odds and ends. When I checked out I thought, "Wow. That's sort of high for Trader Joes."

This morning it dawned on me, I had driven to Lassens without even thinking. No wonder the guy in produce was confused when I asked if he carried Trader Joes Premier Lentils.

My husband and I had a good laugh but I'm not sure if I should be laughing or worried.

~Deb
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:34:55 PM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

thatollie

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »
For anyone who remembers me tearing through the old place shouting "DONE, DONE, DONE!" after finishing my first novel ever and then clapping my hands, falling on the floor and then falling asleep... THAT WAS 12 YEARS AGO.
The cool thing about writing what you know is that you can always know more.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
We grow old, 'Young Ollie', but not as those without dreams grow old.