Author Topic: What odd things make you feel old?  (Read 429 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 22
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
What odd things make you feel old?
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
I was listening to old music the other day, thoroughly enjoying my self-induced time-warp.  Music from the 60s rarely makes me feel old.  But...

Temma harbour, by Mary Hopkin, from 1970 is forty eight years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uahVall5l10

Where the hell did the time go?

I know a lot of it slipped away under my rolling wheels, or was swallowed up wandering clifftops and quiet winter beaches, and tapping away at the keys in the quiet watches of the night.  But Temma Harbour doesn't feel nearly half a century ago.

When I think about it I rarely feel old, but just occasionally something makes me aware of the inexorable passage of time.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:42:11 PM by Gyppo »

Amanda

• Kudos: 1
  • Money talks, chocolate sings
    • View Profile
    • Amanda's navigation page
Re: What odd things make you feel old?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
The realisation last night that my little nephew will never understand the frustrations of when a vinyl record is scratched and keeps jumping on the same bit of music again and again and again and again.  He'll never understand that when I was his age music could only be played so many times on repeat before it actually wore out and you had to buy the record again if you wanted to keep listening to it!  CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays have a lot more staying power than vinyl did even 30 years ago!!
Wanna waste a bit of time?

Are you nuts?

Don't say I didn't warn you!  Go to my navigation page to get to know me!

Vienna

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
have to disagree there Amanda, vinyl is back, if it ever went away, big time. Even here in Vienna record shops are popping up all over the place. The sales of vinyl grow where as that of CD's is stagnating.I'm sure your little nephew will be putting the vinyl on the turntable :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:38:29 PM by Vienna »

Matt Walker

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »
... The realisation that when I started secondary school my now wife hadn't even started primary school (I'm 31, she's 23 - the age gap is only weird when we mention school!).

Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
You are right there Matt, my wife doesn’t believe some of the stories i tell about my school time in England. I am 62 she will be 40 this year.

DGSquared

• Kudos: 5
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
People, especially men, saying, "Yes Ma'am" or, "Thank you, Ma'am" to me, in person.

I appreciate the good manners but five years ago, "Have a good day Miss" was more frequent than, "Have a nice day now, Ma'am." Why throw in the word, 'now'? Is it because I look like I'm running out of time or I might not understand?  I jest.

I miss, "Miss" because, "Ma'am" reminds me of the grandmas at church, old teachers, or my friend's older parents. I don't see myself as having the maturity to be called, "Ma'am" yet because I'm still a, mess "Miss" at heart and still into mischief.  :P

Oddly enough, I look at being referred to, or referring to others as, 'Ma'am' in writing, as sort of a playful thing. Weird.  :-\

~Deb

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:23:38 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

AJTrelawny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »
Realising that my youngest brother in law is now 18, a full grown adult, and he wasn't even born when I met my husband!

We used to joke about how my hubby would be 36 (and as such "well old") before he could take his brother for a beer...

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
Numbers can have that effect.  Far more than words or memories.

When you realise you've known someone for half your life.  Or that a girl you still clearly picture as a lively little 'Saturday Girl' scurrying around the bakery is now not only a gran, and sometimes a great gran, but a pensioner.  Then you remember that you're a pensioner too, even when you don't feel like one.

Time is a curiously elastic thing.

Gyppo

Vienna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
Gyppo you are spot on. It came as quite a shock in summer when I realised I have been in Vienna 31 years, half my llife. Where did the years go?

Dansinger

• Kudos: 7
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
I caught myself talking with Dad about the old days. Now that made me feel old.
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
Thinking of something to post on this thread, but forgetting what it was by the time I got back to my PC.
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
Making a plan for tomorrow at 8 pm, then waking up the next day with no recollection of having made such a plan until the day is halfway over.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Make a note, Deb, and tape it to the kitchen door, or tape it to a cabinet just above the kettle/coffee machine.  Somewhere you have to go.  II you fight the OCD tendency to place it 'straight and tidy' it will be even more effective.

The toilet door doesn't work for reminders.  I'm still pondering the psychology behind that mental black hole. 

The plus side of looking like an absent-minded old git is that once a week or so you can peel off all the 'dealt with' notes and bin them.   That makes you feel as if you've had a really productive day.  Even if note clearing is the only thing you've done. ;-)

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 04:58:11 AM »
Keeping motivated seems to be a chore, more often than not, these days. I used to always be, on the go. There is so much still to do so I shouldn't have to push myself to do it.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
Having perfectly good clothes that are older than some of the people I work with.
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf