Author Topic: Is it an epilogue?  (Read 1247 times)

AJTrelawny

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
Is it an epilogue?
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
So, I have written a novel called 'The Borrowed Husband'. It takes us on a journey where we meet Amelia and Rhys and we get a no holds barred view into their affair. However, all is not as it seems and eventually Amelia wakes up in a hospital having been in a coma after a bus accident. Her psychologist explains it all using a wonderful theory where by people in come get to experience alternate time lines.

Then I had a great idea, what if sometime in the future Rhys becomes aware of this time line too. I have written this side of the story up and am quite pleased with it. It provides closure to the characters and kills off the main man 😂

However, my question is:

Would this story be considered an epilogue to my main novel or a stand alone story?

I have read that epilogues should very in the same poverty as the main story. This isn't but it's purposely not written that way to give the closure needed.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

AJTrelawny

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Is it an epilogue?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
Newbies can't edit our posts but I have noticed a couple of errors.

Line 6: whereby should be one word.
Line 7: people in come should read 'people in a coma.'
Line 16: makes no sense what so ever because of the damned auto correct. It should read 'epilouges should be in the same point of view as the main story.' I was lazy and typed Pov instead of point of view and my auto correct decided to fix it for me.

Hope you can all allow a newbie to make a few mistakes and to help me out.
Many thanks
AJ x

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
Hard to give a definitive answer because every book is different.  But on the whole, prologues and epilogues are treated with suspicion.  The general feeling is, If they're needed, they should be in the book; if they're not, they shouldn't be there at all.

That said, you know your own book best and if it feels it needs a separate piece to wind it up, go for it.  But make sure you're not just putting a fancy title on the last chapter.

Conceivably, you want to write a sequel.  Have you enough material, enough new ideas, to do that?  Publishers quite like books that come in series - people who've enjoyed one will look out for the next.  But book 2 needs to be at least as strong as book 1.  It can't just be a repository for ideas you couldn't fit into the first one.

hillwalker3000

• Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Prologues (usually single chapters) come at the start of a novel and are generally disliked by publishers. It's usually a lazy way of inserting background story or creating a setting.
Epilogues come at the end, and for the same reason seem to be a short-cut way to close a story.

if your novel consists of 53 chapters, say, then my advice would be to make your 'epilogue' chapter 54.It's hardly going to work as a separate story unless it stretches to half the book.

H3K