Author Topic: After all these years  (Read 72 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 28
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
After all these years
« on: January 15, 2020, 05:58:17 AM »
When I booted up this morning The Microsoft Mafia knocked on the far side of my screen to tell me my beloved Windows 7 Pro is 'now out of support'.

I politely told them to go away.

Quite impressed that as well as 'Remind me again later' there was also a "Don't tell me again' option.

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: After all these years
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
I've still got W7Pro on my other computer - the desk-top that I no longer connect to the internet.  But it's a good reliable system, and I use it for storage and sometimes for doing things - like photo editing - that it does better than W10.  Given the wear I give it, it'll probably still be ticking over when I'm pushing up daisies.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:55:23 AM »
I will get 10, eventually.

I thought something terrible had happened when I turned it on this morning.  It told me it had updates available, so presumably it hadn't realised I was now outside the city walls, in The Leper Colony along with the rest of the 30% who haven't changed yet.

It took a very long time installing three updates, shut down, and then did an equally  leisurely re-configuration.  It restarted again and my first impression was the damned thing was in safe mode.  Black background and seemingly extra bright icons.

Turns out they're not unusually bright, but my much-loved background picture has vanished.  I'll have to look into that.

But everything else seems to be as normal.  Well...  Normal for this household ;-)

Gyppo

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:24:55 PM »
I've got my proper background back.

I've been checking the specs needed to run Win 10.   My computer exceeds all of them. It's a long way from the bare minimum.

There's a driver update available for my three month old printer.  Most of my favourite software is W10 compatible.

I'm very reluctant to start all over with a new machine because this beast has had so much added to it over the last few years.  Lots of built in redundancy with extra drives etc.

With the right kind of backup I can do a complete fresh install for Win10, and if I dislike it too much I can wipe it and revert to old faithful 7.

But I will get my tame geek to oversee this when it happens.

Gyppo

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »
Every time someone talks tech around here, I wonder what brilliant albeit smartass thing Tim would chide in with. I'm sure he's rolled his eyes more than once on my un-tech savvy behalf.

I still do not like W10. It's not nearly as intuitive, at least not to me, as W7 was. It's a real pain in the neck to have to switch everything over on any product update these days. Such is the life of a Luddite. I still don't have the sim card for my new phone because I'm clinging to my old phone for dear life. :-\ ::) :o :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
It's been a bit of a spending spree just lately.

1)  Two new phones because the cheap and cheerful ones served notice a few days ago.  Not easily fixable, so they've had their marching orders and the replacement pair are still being charged ready to set up tomorrow.

2)  Two new steel shelving units ordered today.

3)  A card reader to make it easier to transfer stuff from my camera to the computer.

I held off on some of this stuff until I'd settled in and found out how my new office space 'works' for me.  But the old shelving, already secondhand when I scrounged it well over thirty years ago, has been a bit battered and wobbly since the move.  Time to replace.  At my age the new stuff should see me out ;-)

I have one more recent and short galvanised unit (only about fifteen years old) which I will slightly reconfigure and put on the far left of my desk.  With a couple of sturdy wooden struts added under the desktop to take the extra weight.  This will leave a corkboard temporarily homeless, but I've no doubt it will survive the trauma.

All fun and games.

It has been suggested I can run my well sorted Win 7 in a 'virtual machine', which is effectively a safe partition on a machine operating under WIN 10.  Must discuss this with my tame geek.  A bit like the way I once had three different computers on my long desk, all doing different jobs.

But I still claim that I'm not really a techie, just good at finding and following instructions.

I remember Tim flatly refusing to believe I was a Luddite because I had a dual boot machine, which ran both my old XP and Win 7.  I just know the right people to ask for help with setting up.  People who listen to what I want and don't try to force me into using something I don't need.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:14:23 AM by Gyppo »

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
It's been a bit of a spending spree just lately.

But I still claim that I'm not really a techie, just good at finding and following instructions.

I remember Tim flatly refusing to believe I was a Luddite because I had a dual boot machine, which ran both my old XP and Win 7.  I just know the right people to ask for help with setting up.  People who listen to what I want and don't try to force me into using something I don't need.

Gyppo
You're lucky you're not a woman anywhere men seem to think they know what's best for us women better than we do.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »
You'll like the card reader, Gyppo.  It makes the whole camera/computer interface easier and safer.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
You'll like the card reader, Gyppo.  It makes the whole camera/computer interface easier and safer.

It's long overdue.  I bought one years ago which would take very card known to man, except mine.  Passed it on to my youngest girl.

=====

You're lucky you're not a woman anywhere men seem to think they know what's best for us women better than we do.

Many men would say the just same about women, Deb.  They swan around acting as if they know it all, and treat men as if they were willful little boys.  Sometimes we are ;-)  And some women are just like bossy big sisters.

The ones like bratty little sisters are the easiest to get on with ;-)  They're usually full of questions and want to understand what's going on, and why. Just as fiery little tomboys usually grow into the best - and happiest - women.

But we're all people, good or bad, easy or intolerant.  And sometimes the ones we love the most annoy us the most at times, but we consider it worthwhile to take the rough with the smooth.  From both sides of the gender gap.

The rot sets in when people stop listening.  Or don't speak up when they should.

And sometimes the drive for so-called equality kills off the more interesting and informative differences.  But my family tree is full of determined and self confident women, so my view is different from those who grew up around domesticated little 'doormats'.

As my youngest once said, "I don't want to pretend to be a man, I want to be a woman doing what many see as 'men's things'.  Because I like doing them, not to prove a point.

There you go, a bit of Gyppo's philosophy on life.  (It works for me.)  Sneaking into a largely technical thread, but what the hell.