Author Topic: Author confusion  (Read 1248 times)

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Author confusion
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »
As a writer who has met lots of authors over the years, I am becoming more and more confused as to who is who, because of their pen names.  I go to conferences and people are calling the person by two names, their real name and their pen name.

Due to the fact that I had a stroke some years ago and names are difficult for me, it can be very embarrrassing having spoken with someone on social media, to discover a colleague is calling them by some other name. I dont think I'll ever understand it, especially when they have written a book under their own name and the next book comes out in a different name, same person.

Now I can understand it if their name was Fred Bloggs or Teresa Green, but for someone like me who cannot remember names anyway, it's hard!

Ah well, such is life.

Lin  ;D

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: Author confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
I've always had trouble with names, and I haven't even got a good excuse!

I really don't get this "pen-name" thing.  Are people ashamed of what they've written?  The only good reason I've ever heard was that it's a way to write two or more dissimilar types of book without disappointing readers who're only interested in one of them.

Personally, I expect people who're intelligent enough to read books to be able to figure it out from the blurb on the cover.

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Author confusion
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
I thought it was a joke when JK Rowling did it.  I can only think she did that to remove herself from children's fiction. She couldnt keep it quiet.  It all seemed quite futile, after a while, when everyone knew about it.

Lin