Author Topic: Starting a new project  (Read 3660 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 15
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a new project
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
I'm just too lazy to self publish in month long sections. I could. I've been told I should. I don't know how and it is daunting and it is easier to complain about not having an audience than it is to learn how to get one. I want it to be as easy to publish as it is for me to write. Words are my tools. I use them effectively. But then publishing is all new and too much work.

I could. I probably should. I need some more structure in my retirement. I'm getting too soft. Too stupid. I loved learning the history stories and I believe they are interesting. But ... inertia is so difficult to overcome.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Michael Marnier

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 0
  • Looking for Trouble On The Straits
    • View Profile
    • Michael Marnier - Author
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
But ... inertia is so difficult to overcome.

Patti, think of the inertia resisting your desire to write more often as a gym weight. Start light but increase the reps. Positive results will follow once you establish a routine similar to your habit for working out. JMO.
Trouble on the Straits
Action-Adventure on the Florida Straits

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
I kept up from Jan. 1, 2010 to Oct. 31, 2017
I did take a year off and then got back to it. I simply can't make myself get back even tho I streamlined the process.

It just seems a bit pointless.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »
I just looked at my stats. In 2012, my biggest year, I had over 130,000 hits. This past year, I'm almost as 35,000 (and I didn't post anything new since the end of October). I still get between 50 and 125 hits per day. None of this is making me feel like I should get back to writing. At least, maybe not this.

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
There's a woman called Gill Simms whose first book got on the best seller list. She got a massive fan base through facebook and I'm sure that played a big part. https://www.facebook.com/peterandjaneandmummytoo/

What I thought interesting was that the build up of readers developed as she wrote, and by the time she published, people were chomping on the bit to get a copy. I don't think her FB posts were extracts of her book, but they certainly gave an indication of her style.

The other advantage of FB over blogs is the viral nature of it. A friend of mine mine liked one of Gill's posts, it caught my eye and I read it and then began following her too.

And of course you get real feedback with likes, shares and comments. As opposed to some numeric value that a web server calls hits, a big chunk of which will no doubt be bots.

So if you want readers, why not make your new project a FB page for your nom de plume. Publish the name on here and I'm sure some of us will follow you.

Mark
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
I agree with Mark, Patti. Find your niche and gain customers through Facebook. That was my goal when I joined Twitter and have thus far done nadda with it.

Money is a great motivator.  I'm sure you have a book or three in you.

I know for a fact you are full of motherly advise, much of it humorous. I could see you write something along the same lines as Erma Bombeck, Patti style.

I can't remember your exact words but you've had me doubled over a few times with remarks about parenting. I would buy that book. :) :-*

You're a mother, a wife, a teacher of music and (MS Office?), a former nurse, and you go to a gym. Besides the humor you find in daily life, you must have a plethora of anecdotes from your former professions.

Hugs
~Deb

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
I forgot to mention that you might consider doing funny sayings on tee-shirts. You do have a knack for putting things in unique perspective.

Maybe it was my nerves but I was laughing it up the other night while reading some clever sayings on tee-shirts.
One of my favorites, "I have ADD and OCD so things must be perfect but only for a short time."

Then, I cracked my husband up because I read this aloud, "If you say, "Gullible" slowly, it sounds like oranges" and followed that with a sincere, "I don't get it."

Needless to say he shared it with our sons who also laughed at my goofiness. 
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
Good ideas Deb.

I also am full of advice for old people starting out with weight training.

And yoga.

And meditation.

And I have options galore.  ;D