Author Topic: Busy day tomorrow - Not that I'll know much about it until afterwards.  (Read 474 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 22
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
I'll be up about five, due at the hospital at seven, to be knocked out and let a strange man rummage around in my innards and whip out my damned prostate.  The damned thing's trying to kill me, and that simply won't do.

Apparently once I'm unconscious they tilt the table back so I'm head down..  this causes all the rest of my guts to slide towards my head under the pull of gravity and leaves my prostate more accessible through two or three fairly tiny holes so the surgeon can operate the little robot arms.  Fascinating stuff.  I'm going to watch a video about it afterwards, but not before.

That'll be two hours gone from my life which I'll never get back, but in return I stand a chance of getting to be a really old man and living long enough to tease a grown up Alma about her choice of boyfriends etc.  Statistically I'm unlikely to hang around long enough to become a Great Grandad, but I really fancy being an old Grandad.

No food after midnight, but I can drink water up until 5 AM, which will make it easier to swallow the morning pills.

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 8
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Best of luck with it, Gyppo.  You should be a new man without it.  Not too different from the old one, though, I hope...

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 13
    • View Profile
Best of luck with it.

M
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 8
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
This actually sounds so much better than what we used to do. How long do you have to stay in the hospital? Is this outpatient or do you get to stay all noisy and bothered for a while? I have never figured how exactly why hospitals have to be so loud.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 7
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
Good luck tomorrow, Gyppo. I hope all goes well.
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Gyppo

• View Profile
This actually sounds so much better than what we used to do. How long do you have to stay in the hospital? Is this outpatient or do you get to stay all noisy and bothered for a while? I have never figured how exactly why hospitals have to be so loud.

Theoretically one overnight stay unless there are problems.

It's a private hospital, with my own room.  In private places there are usually carpets in the corridors, which makes them a lot quieter overall.

Judging by the last time I was given a general anaesthetic this will confuse my brain for a while.  Apparently I'll be unconscious for about two hours because it's quite a long operation although basically simple enough.  Although I'm an NHS patient the op is being carried out at a private hospital because that's where they have the clever little 'robot tools' which let them work through two or three small holes in my lower stomach area, rather than the more 'invasive' old school methods.   They were at great pains to point out I won't be charged any extra.

But they will take my card details on arrival 'in case I order any newspapers or other un-included sundries, such as phonecalls'.

If all goes well I will be allowed home after one overnight stay, possibly two.  The hospital is just up the road from where my eldest girl lives.   I may have to go home with a catheter and a pee bag, but possibly not.

The pre-op assessment nurse gave me a thorough check-up and said I was in pretty good shape for a man of my age, better than most, apart from being overweight.  ECG good.  Heart Good.  Lungs good.  Circulation definitely acceptable.

Being a private hospital I'll have my own room, a three course menu, and - allegedly- a wine list ;-)  The latter is of course no use to a teetotaller, but if it's true I'll try to sneak the appropriate paperwork home as a souvenir.

If I don't speak to you again before, I'll no doubt have a tale or two about 'going private' to share afterwards.

Spring is showing signs of a cautious arrival.  The rain is getting warmer and the plants are emerging from their winter hibernation.  The birds, and squirrels, are frantically chasing each other around.

I have a little bunch of tightly budded daffodils in my kitchen window, an impulse buy this morning, which will have hopefully opened up and added a touch of colour to the place by the time I get home.   

Keep an eye on the words for me whilst I'm away, you know what tricky little buggers they can be if you turn your back on them ;-)

Gyppo

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:54:49 PM by Gyppo »

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 6
    • View Profile
Best of luck mate, enjoy your bit of private and see you on the flip side  :-*

Looking forward to the tales
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Gyppo

• View Profile
Looking forward to the tales

So am I.  It'll be a sad day when I can't find something interesting or amusing to write about ;-)

Vienna

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Good luck Gyppo! I am sure you will have some interesting tales to tell.......she who must be obeyed is pushing me to have the old finger up the bum job done. I will be 62 on Thurday.

take care lad

Richard

Heidi52

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
Thinking of you, Gyppo, and hoping for a smooth operation and a speedy recovery.

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Busy day tomorrow - Not that I'll know much about it until afterwards.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
Hope it all goes well.  It's my op tomorrow on my heel. Good luck

Lin x x x

graphophobia

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »
All the best Gyppo, wishing you a speedy recovery. (I mis-typed 'recovery' and my spell-checker wanted to wish you a 'speedy revolver'. Recovery would be much better!)  :)

Mrs N

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »
Thinking of you, Gyppo. Hope it all is done and dusted in no time. xx

herron

• Kudos: 3
  • There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • View Profile
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 01:42:46 AM »
Thinking of you, too, Gyppo. Last time I was out for a couple of hours was to repair my shoulder rotator cuff. Tore the bloody thing right off the bone when I fell, replacing an outside lamp. That was two years ago, but I still have numbness in the last two fingers of my hand, and a constant ringing whine in my ear.

But I'm still here. Hoping to hear from you soon.