Author Topic: First Spud Harvest of the year.  (Read 60 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
First Spud Harvest of the year.
« on: July 16, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »
    There's plenty more still in the container, protected from the sunlight so they won't turn green.  This is more than enough for today's slow cooker offering.

Left click to enlarge picture.   

In the pot, along with gammon and other assorted veggies, within an hour of being dug out.  If they taste as good as they look I'll be a happy man.  (Nay, delirious with joy even.  Although this may present itself as just a little smile.)

These are just one of the three varieties my Sister gave me to plant out.  The others look promising but they can sit in the ground for a bit longer

I was initially worried they might just produce a massive spread of foliage like last year's attempt, with very few veg.    But if the other two pots produce like these I'll not be grumbling.

Next year I'll cut back some of the leaves a bit sooner, once they're established themselves, so they can concentrate on producing spuds rather than the sprawling green 'hedge' alongside my fence.

Will definitely put the containers in the same place though, they seem to like it under the partial shade of my Birch tree.

Gyppo (Who apparently can grow spuds after all,  as well as trees.)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: First Spud Harvest of the year.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
That looks like a lot of potatoes to me. Congratulations Farmer John.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: First Spud Harvest of the year.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 03:02:05 PM »
I only used half of them in today's stew.  The rest will go into my denim 'spud bag'.

Gyppo