Author Topic: The Roar of the Crowd; A tale of temporary - hopefully - deafness.  (Read 67 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
   The Roar of the Crowd   

I currently have a taste of deafness, hopefully temporary.

Not hearing the timer on my oven was the first clue.

Just recently my hearing has rapidly deteriorated.  I realised a while back that some of the higher frequency sounds weren't registering well, but face to face conversation, except with those possessed of a really high piping voice, were still okay.

There used to be a short and skinny girl at Royal Mail whom hardly any of us could hear, with a voice like a bat, high up in the ultra-sonic range.  She'd be stood in front, mouth frantically flapping, and we'd all make lower the pitch gestures until we could hear her.  She was a naturally angry and aggressive person at the best of times, so always thought we were taking the piss.

I won't pretend it wasn't funny at times ;-)

But when I struggled recently to hear my own Grandaughter I knew something wasn't right.

=====

This near-deafness has happened a few times before, so I've arranged to have my ears de-waxed.  As a result I expect everyone to be shouting at me for a while until my brain adjusts.  If the clean-out doesn't do the trick I'll be off to the doc with no further hesitation.

Previous times I've been syringed, washed out with warm water, which fairly roared through the ear canals.  Bloody uncomfortable. too.

This time, after softening it with oil for several days, (which is already improving things a bit so my self-diagnosis is probably correct), it's going to be sucked out with a vacuum tool.  This will be interesting at least - no research opportunity is ever wasted on a writer - so I'll have something new to write about.

My Grandaughter is positively eager to teach me sign language, at which she is quite adept, having acted as an interpreter at school for a little friend with profound deafness.  Also useful for telling private jokes about the teacher ;-)

I have to say this is one time when I truly want to disappoint the earnest little soul.  Assuming all goes well she'll probably enjoy the inevitable storyteller's version of 'Grandad had his ears Hoovered.'

=====

A little over forty years ago I suddenly went totally deaf half way through a weekend engagement performing at Southampton Show.  Two days.  Three half-hour performances a day.

Leaping around amongst swinging swords, axes, and quarterstaffs etc you need all your senses working properly.

Mum talked a doctor into coming into the surgery and doing the syringe trick on the Sunday morning, because 'the show must go on'.

When he was finished I told him he no longer needed to shout at me.  "I'm not, in fact I'm deliberately talking very quietly to see how efficacious the treatment has been..  It will take a day or two for your brain to adjust to the improved input."

That afternoon the slither of feet across grass behind me, and the wind rush of close passing weapons was borderline terrifying.

And the 'Roar of the Crowd' took on a whole new meaning.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:05:47 PM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: The Roar of the Crowd; A tale of temporary - hoefully - deafness.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
[whispering]

I hope it works.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: The Roar of the Crowd; A tale of temporary - hopefully - deafness.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 03:08:52 PM »
The oil to soften the build up ready for excavation seems to be having some effect already.  Either that or my speakers have found a way to turn themselves up higher than before.

I'm fairly optimistic about the outcome.

Gyppo