Author Topic: My pigeons have flown.  (Read 122 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
My pigeons have flown.
« on: July 11, 2022, 09:13:41 PM »
    My two young pigeons have finally left their nest.  It was beginning to look a bit crowded in there.

Over the last couple of days they had been 'sitting out' much more, perched on the edge of the nest, stretching up and trying their wings, with greater frequency. and more movement each time.  Feeling out their balance.   Kind of like 'tai chi' exercises for pigeons.

When I opened the door to check on them at 7AM this morning the nest was empty.  I did a quick check around for bodies on the ground etc, or evidence of a cat or hawk attack but there was nothing untoward.

A bit later, as I ate breakfast and watched through the window, I saw what I took to be the parent pigeons sat on my fence making a bit of a fuss and I saw a juvenile pigeon appear from somewhere - possibly on my roof - and make a few short flights from fence to fence across the garden.

After this all three of them seemed to be haranguing another juvenile perched higher up in one of taller trees at the bottom of my garden.  That one was a bit of a reluctant flyer, but when the other three flew off in disgust he launched from the tree and followed them.

So all is well, but I shall miss their presence in the bushy Fire Maple right up against the house.  I watched the whole cycle from  the parents building the nest, right up close to my back door, the parents taking turns to sit on the eggs, to seeing them fly away.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ungrateful little sods come back and peck hell out of the two Curly Kale plants which are currently sprouting so well.  A small price to pay.

Left click to enlarge.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 09:21:32 PM by Gyppo »

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
Re: My pigeons have flown.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
Looks like it really was time for a move. I love when birds nest in our bushes. There's a pair of Cardinals who have stuck around for several years, now.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
We regularly had two, and occasionally three nests in the front garden at the house, and quite often a little Wren's nest out the back. Sometimes we had a pair of robins nest at the back, but more often they were just visitors because they'd found a superbly overgrown back garden in a long-empty bungalow nearby.  (I sneaked in a couple of times to watch them, but kept their secret.  It was a sad day when the empty buildings were demolished and replaced with modern properties with smaller gardens.

The two regulars at the front of the house were Collared Doves, who obligingly built their nest almost level with my upstairs 'office' window.  Very handy for getting photos.

And for several years a pair of Blackbirds built their best deep in the side hedge, near the front door.   They brought several clutches of eggs to full maturity, although a few youngsters fell to a visiting hawk.   I kept the overhang thick on that part of the edge to discourage the hawks.  They don't like diving into a confined space, because they need more room to take off when laden with prey.

The strangest year was when a pair of Magpies nested about six feet above the Doves.  I expected bloody mayhem and seriously considered evicting the magpies, but the Mum was already sitting on eggs so I just left them to it.

Apart from one incident, when the doves clearly established a no-go zone around their nest, there was no conflict.

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »
We have a pair of Mourning Doves who aren't nesting in our yard, but must be nearby. They visit our little pond to drink daily. And there is a family of rowdy Crows in a giant pine a couple of doors down. I have a great view of them from my backyard. Raising the young seems to be a group effort, and they do love to squawk.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead