Author Topic: Solstice Greetings from the old Hedge Druid  (Read 105 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Solstice Greetings from the old Hedge Druid
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:25:55 AM »
   Solstice Greetings (2022) from the old 'Hedge Druid'.

Having totally lost my place in the calendar this year it wasn't until late last night I realised that today would be the Summer Solstice.

Bummer ;-(

With trains being unreliable and no forward planning at all this year I decided to stay at home instead of scrambling to visit Stonehenge.  Plus, Post Covid,  I'm still not too comfortable with the idea of mingling in a large crowd.

The day dawned bright, clear, and pleasantly cool at 04-49, as I conducted my own little private ceremony out in my back garden, in the shelter of my trees and surrounded by a gentle dawn chorus.

I spoke to the ancient gods, and the rising sun, and as always they listened to me with a reassuring silence and didn't tell me to stop bothering them.

I'm sure that up at the stones there was drumming, and horn blowing, and banner waving, and a fairly decent gathering of the faithful and the merely curious,  And probably a few who were very curious indeed.

As someone once said, "Where else but the Stonehenge Solstice would you see an otherwise naked man in a hat and cowboy boots, and a man wearing a white dress, giving each other a high five in passing?"

And doubtless far too many sad tossers taking selfies to 'prove they were there', holding their phones up in front of them like true Nuremberg Fodder, mindlessly saluting their electronic Fuehrer.

I have photos from previous years when there wasn't a phone in sight, just people watching the sun rise as a silvery pre-dawn sky turned to gold.   I shall check out the local Wiltshire news later, to see what the official verdict is.

Meanwhile, here's a  photos from 2009.  A nameless girl, dancing to a tune only she can hear, oblivious to the crowd.  She looked rather startled when she stopped and realised she was not alone.

Left click to enlarge.

Onideus

• Kudos: 0
  • *emotionally vomits*
    • View Profile
    • Weedstorming
Re: Solstice Greetings from the old Hedge Druid
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »
Summer is best because the sun turns its attention to the porch in the afternoons, proving a good spot for growing Vitamin D in a human pot.
Absurdist - Shitposter Class
Artificial Deity of Indeterminate Origin
Prosthetic God
Celestial Scribe
King of Jackasses

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:41:01 PM »
Not here.  I arranged a picnic for some friends - nowhere as exotic as Stonehenge but a picturesque ruined abbey, which we were lucky enough to have to ourselves - and after an hour it started raining.  Mid-summer's day? - dream on!

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 08:35:15 PM »
At least you had your hour, Jo ;-)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 07:38:00 PM »
The story of my life.  Even a dog gets a day.