Author Topic: Flying The flag (With photo.) Family heirloom flies again.  (Read 62 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Flying The flag (With photo.) Family heirloom flies again.
« on: June 05, 2022, 04:22:24 PM »
    Short version:  Took the family treasure back out of the drawer for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and was forcibly reminded of two things: a) it's old, and b) it's much bigger than my Cornish flag which I can just about fly from a seven foot pole attached to the porch.

It will fly until dusk unless my lash up pole breaks or falls over.

Full write up with a bit of history below...

Left click to enlarge image

=====

Flying The Flag

Today I flew my Gran's old Union Flag.  It's a little threadbare these days, but it's a home-made flag and some of the material was pretty damn thin to start with having been made during WW2 rationing.  Some of it is dyed cheesecloth.

This flag was flown for VE Day, VJ day, and countless other patriotic and Royal occasions since.  Yes, that's right, this particular flag was first flown when we still had a King on the throne.  Before young Princess Elizabeth became our Monarch.

At ten feet long by six feet deep Gran normally used it as a 'balcony flag', stretched from window to window across the front of her house.  This doesn't really work in my modest little bungalow, though we did hang it occasionally at the family house.

My lash-up flagpole, consisting of two overlapping eight foot lengths of timber and a twelve foot fishing rod may well be the first time it's ever been on a pole., although I remember Gran flying it from a line stretched between her house and a tall skinny tree in her front garden when my Uncle Alan shinned up there to anchor the line.

Just as she used to get him to hang a big Christmas Star up there with a cable running back through his bedroom window.  (Until the day it shorted out in the rain and took out the local electricity  substation at Calmore.  Half of Totton lost it's lights that night until the crew worked out where the earth leakage was occurring ;-)

=====

The top of my flagpole is a little too bendy for the flag to fly properly,  I'm also told it's 'disrespectful' to fly a 'tattered flag', but I call bullshit on that one.  Tattered and bullet-holed battle standards are highly prized despite their condition, and so is my Gran's Union Flag.

It's the history - both national and family - and the symbolism which counts.  I shall take it down this evening, or earlier if the 'flagpole fails, carefully fold it, and tuck it away in the drawer again.

===

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: Flying The flag (With photo.) Family heirloom flies again.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »
Apparently, y'all have stopped the midget tossing and moved on to queen tossing. What the hell?

God save the Queen.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.