Author Topic: Nothing is wasted in a 'people watching' writer's rag-bag memory.  (Read 152 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Odd little incidents provide cues, which allow you to see what you're writing about, to be 'in the moment', rather than just remembering.  In this respect the writer is like a 'method' actor, keying into a relevant moment and all the feelings which came with it.

When I need terrified grey eyes I see, as clearly as ever, Mum's eyes when I woke her up from her occasional wartime flashback dreams.  She'd be locked into the moment, unable to wake herself properly.  Despite being awake, eyes wide open, she couldn't really see me, or her own room, just the past which had suddenly become an all encompassing 'now'.  All I could do was 'talk her down' until she fought her way back out.

After that a cup of tea and a settling down chat, and the lights left on, or the curtains shut to hide 'the bomber's moon' which sometimes triggered these episodes, and she'd tell me things she'd never have shared at any other time.  Most of which I'll never pass on, like a priest honouring the secrecy of the confessional.

But the eyes I'll share when a character needs them.

And one little funny moment.  The night when Mum, having shaken off the horrors, suddenly averted her now reality attuned eyes and said, "Maybe this would be a good time for you to put some clothes on."

Being stark bollock naked ranks low on the list of priorities when woken by the eldritch howl of terror ;-)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:56:59 AM by Gyppo »