Author Topic: Tempting Fate: (Early Spring Clean.)  (Read 326 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Tempting Fate: (Early Spring Clean.)
« on: March 07, 2022, 01:59:51 PM »
Yesterday would have been a good day for some overdue house maintenance.  It was bright and dry, but the spirit was weak.  I went shopping instead, to restock the 'store cupboard'.  On the bus I met two other hardy old men who, between us agreed it was a lovely day, but 'bitter cold'.  I suggested it was 'definitely a bit nippy', but they outvoted me with two 'bitter colds'.  Once the sun was hidden below the rooftops I agreed with them ;-)

Today was too good to be spent 'just bumbling around' on the computer, so I did some more physical stuff.  Whilst the spirit moved me ;-)

=====

mea culpa.  Possibly.

If the heavens open, or a massive storm strikes, then it's probably my fault. ;-)

I am washing a king-Sized duvet today.  In the hope that I will be able to get it out on the clothes-line and at least partially dry before the sun goes down.

My washing machine has a far bigger drum than many, designed to take a 10 kg load, and is definitely bigger than that needed by a single person, but the maker claims it can handle a king-sized duvet.  My doctrine has always been that a bigger machine can always handle small loads, especially on a half-load setting, but a smaller machine can't cope so well with excesses.

There's a load out drying already, and it's well on its way to coming back in before I have to peg out the 'behemoth'.

If the whole business goes pear-shaped and I end up with a gargantuan soggy mess draped over the shower rail in my bathroom until the next suitable 'drying day' I do have a brand new 'backup duvet' in reserve, still in the factory wrappings.

But before that eventuality I may as well take down the shower rail, (Only three  screws), and work out why the curtain has lost it's ability to glide freely along the rail.  It's reached the point of pissing me off every time I use it.  A squirt of WD-40 along the track might well provide a temporary fix, but if there's a few years of accumulated crud in there all this does is help spread it around.  We shall see.

Update:  One of the screws has proved to be a real bear to remove.  So much so that for now I've temporarily shelved that bit of the job.  I can put up with being irritated for a bit longer.  An overnight squirt of WD40 might encourage it to re-think its bloody intransigence ;-)

This bungalow is between 7-10 years old and I have no doubt the rail is the original fitting.

=====

Whilst the duvet's off I'm going to turn the mattress.  This is a very hefty chunk of high density foam and a bit of a bugger to move.  Still within my capabilities to handle on my own, but awkward enough to have been delayed longer than it should.

=====

I've also cleaned several years of crud off the cover on the light in the back garden.  Over the last year I've felt it was getting a bit dim compared to when I moved in.  The plastic has yellowed a bit with age, and the accumulated fly and bird crap haven't helped.  There was also fly crap on the bulb itself and a few dead flies and spiders inside there in a communal grave on the bottom ledge.

=====

It's only 2 PM, so who knows that other miracles may occur 'whilst the spirit still moves me'.

=====

Sorted out and binned a stack of cardboard which will go off to be recycled.  the untidy heap under one end of my desk has been bugging me for a few days now.

I've also been collecting newspapers for a project but I've got enough of them now.  They've been stacked in a box to keep them tidy.  When we get a run of warmer days so I can work outside I'll get started on that job.  Till then the box can sit in a corner and not bother anyone.  If I throw a cloth over it then it can double as a coffee table, or even, being well-packed, a stool ;-)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 01:09:06 AM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: Tempting Fate: (Early Spring Clean.)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »
I changed over from my long pants to my capris hanging in my closet. Or my capris to my long pants folded in drawers.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 40
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: Tempting Fate: (Early Spring Clean.)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 03:02:37 PM »
The duvet can come back in fairly soon and be tucked away as 'backup'.  There are a few clouds gathering.

Gyppo