Author Topic: I know what they mean, but...  (Read 415 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 38
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
I know what they mean, but...
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »
The local health club/gym are advertising memberships.  As is often the case 'advertising english' is a little different from reality or convention.

Apparently they have either a time machine, or some form of 'time compression' allowing a ludicrously compact experience.  How do I know this?

'Try a three month membership today.'

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: I know what they mean, but...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
The reality of many gym memberships is that the only time you actually USE the gym is the day you sign up. So it is possible.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 07:58:02 PM »
What a brilliant scam!  Sell people something they may need, but probably don't really want.  Knowing that most will be too ashamed to ask for a refund.

Add 'sabotage' facilities, like giant breakfasts which they'll think they've earned, to make sure they'll never fully complete their planned weight loss or whatever.

The only immediately comparable thing is psychiatry, where the objective isn't to cure you as such, just help your live with your personal weirdness.  If you're too successful they'll offer you additional hours on how to avoid 'overcompensating'.

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 09:30:03 AM »
I sometimes think it would be worth the outlay to visit a psychiatrist, just to see what he made of me.  I suspect one of us would end up in a strait-jacket, but I'm not sure which.  I freely admit to being peculiar: others have to admit it works for me.  And I didn't need help to figure that out.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:59:04 PM »
I sometimes think it would be worth the outlay to visit a psychiatrist, just to see what he made of me.  I suspect one of us would end up in a strait-jacket, but I'm not sure which.  I freely admit to being peculiar: others have to admit it works for me.  And I didn't need help to figure that out.

Now that I've no longer got a stressful something or something my therapist has bid me adieu

I've come to realize that my elderly neighbor tries to find fault with whatever she finds...flies in the hallway,it must be my fault.cockroach  on her stove, again it's my fault...

She has tried multiple times asking maintenance to 'unlock his door' the front office must have torn a strip off her as she's been well behaved as of late

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 12:49:39 AM »
An unhappy neighbour is a pain in the arse.

At one point down in Cornwall the man in the flat above us was a practicing Satanist.  Half the street was scared of him.  Didn't work on me, and he knew it ;-)

He seemed to see it as challenge to his authority.  Couldn't see that I was perfectly  happy to live and let live.  As long as he didn't mess with me and mine.

So I started getting letters from the council, saying there had been complaints about my motorbike waking him up unnecessarily at 4am.  I explained to them that was the time I left to go to work about ten miles away and that was the end of that complaint.

On my first day there I got a visit from the police, saying 'a concerned neighbour' had seen me taking a gun into the flat.  Something which 'appeared to be an assault rifle.'   I showed them what I had, all of it perfectly legal, and asked him if the person who'd complained was the nervous looking old lady downstairs, thinking that I'd try and reassure her if it was.

The copper said 'I can't say, Sir..."  He then very deliberately looked up at my ceiling.  "But maybe you can guess."

I guess the police were fed up with his complaints as well. 

He tried to intimidate my wife, and that didn't work to well either.  His own wife was a quiet submissive type.  Mine was short but fierce.

He tried his best to psyche us out, but I just 'bounced' it all back at him and eventually he got the message and left us alone.

Very strange man.

Gyppo

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
Well i suppose after 2 years of not venturing further than our laneway I'm sure Anyone would get cranky

I some people unfortunately are miserable