Author Topic: Why the fork?  (Read 18246 times)

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Why the fork?
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »
Stupid eyebrows may be contagious, Britain warned

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/stupid-eyebrows-may-be-contagious-britain-warned-20190926189344

Now, you probably think I'm going to launch into a diatribe about the stupidy of eyebrows of any sort let alone ones that have been quinced with, but I'm not. What I want to say is ... why the fork did I not know about this?! I was totally unaware that making your eyebrows look like hairy caterpillars was a thing.

As I pass through the barrier between middle and old age has my brain reached some pinnacle of its evolutionary development such that young people and their stupid antics simply get merged into a single condition of twatiness with no discernible specifics? Or is it a self-defence mechanism?  Would daft eyebrows be the final straw that pushed me over the edge into dribbling, gibbering, mental incredulity?

I suppose now I know about it I'm going to notice it if I have to leave the village in the future. I've trained myself not to LOL at stupid hair and trousers, can I add eyebrows to the list? Only time will tell.
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2019, 07:07:27 AM »
Stupid eyebrows may be contagious, Britain warned

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/stupid-eyebrows-may-be-contagious-britain-warned-20190926189344

Now, you probably think I'm going to launch into a diatribe about the stupidy of eyebrows of any sort let alone ones that have been quinced with, but I'm not. What I want to say is ... why the fork did I not know about this?! I was totally unaware that making your eyebrows look like hairy caterpillars was a thing.

As I pass through the barrier between middle and old age has my brain reached some pinnacle of its evolutionary development such that young people and their stupid antics simply get merged into a single condition of twatiness with no discernible specifics? Or is it a self-defence mechanism?  Would daft eyebrows be the final straw that pushed me over the edge into dribbling, gibbering, mental incredulity?

I suppose now I know about it I'm going to notice it if I have to leave the village in the future. I've trained myself not to LOL at stupid hair and trousers, can I add eyebrows to the list? Only time will tell.

I laughed for a long minute after that remark. What is a long minute, you ask? I'd say it's losing track of time while you chuckle excessivley and try not to wake the rest of the houshold.  ;D ;D ;D
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »
What the fork is a 'colourway'?  Is it some American abomination they use when colour - or even color if they absolutely insist - would be perfectly adequate?

I was looking online for a proper cotton mechanics overall.

'All our garments come in a wide variety of colourways.'

I sometimes see it in paint catalogues and will admit it's like a red rag to a bull.  The only thing worse is when I hear someone in a DIY store actually saying the damned word.

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »
I'd never heard of it, but it seems it might be useful  :o because it is a combination of colours so not synonymous with colour.

Overalls in variety of colours implies some yellow overalls and some pink overalls, but a variety of colourways implies some yellow overalls with pinks sleeves and some pink overalls with yellow sleeves.
If you like Bob the Alien he gets a good run out in my NaPoWriMo 2018. Download pdf here: http://www.scribblers-ring.co.uk/downloads/napowrimo_mhh_201804.pdf

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »
I see;-)  It's a non-specific code for Aesthetically Abhorrent, (AA).  I can see why some advertising creatures would shy away from using the AA definition.  That's even if the purblind pricks knew how to spell it ;-)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 13
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »
I have been watching a lot of Great Courses history stuff and we no longer have life styles but life ways. I think they like the way "way" sounds. I don't particularly care for it.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
Life style definitely sounds better than life way.

Style is indefinable, but you generally know it when you see it ;-)

My daughter and I saw an XK8 Jaguar in a car park the other day.  4 litres of motor tucked unostentatiously away in a discrete and pleasingly contoured silvery/grey package.  No air scoops or go-faster stripes.  Aerodynamic without looking like something freshly tipped from a jelly mould.  Even the Jaguar logo on the front grille was quietly understated.

I can imagine one of my characters having such a car.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:36:17 PM by Gyppo »