Author Topic: Life is Good  (Read 9476 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 18
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #405 on: June 22, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
Not all printers have a chip to stop you using alternative or re-filled cartridges.  If 'old faithful' is old enough it may be okay. 

One problem with keeping any inkjet printer as a backup is that the ink on the print head drys up and you have to run off a page or two to bring it back to full working life again.  If any of the little nozzles get really bunged up it may become useless.

Sometimes a dab of spit or water on a cloth will clean it up just fine.

Although I am a great believer in keeping old equipment going if it does the job there is a certain element of 'use it or lose it' involved.  Just as car or motorbike which has sat unattended in a garage for years will rarely start first time.

If you are truly happy with your new printer then maybe it's time to embrace the new.

Having no real need for coloured inks I swapped to a mono laser printer a few years back and have never looked back.  There are quite a few firms who will refiill the toner cartridge for you at a sensible price.

Gyppo

Amie

• Kudos: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 22, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »
I just realised this morning that I always greet my cat with "Hello gorgeous!"
She's lovely, like a little loving human in a cat-shaped fur coat.

And, in other news, I love watching the birds outside my window. We live halfway up a cliff, so have a good view over the city. We see different birds at different times of the day: buzzards, swifts, bluetits, pigeons (hmmm), woodcocks (hmmm), seagulls (ergh), herons (less common, maybe once a month), falcons, etc. I love watching the big birds glide, and the little birds flit about, and the swifts be.. super-swift ;)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 8
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »
If you are truly happy with your new printer then maybe it's time to embrace the new.

Gyppo, you're probably right.  I'm a terrible skinflint - I can't bear to part with anything that's still capable of doing its job.

But yes, the new printer is fine, and the inks are a bit cheaper.  So...maybe a trip to the dump?  (I find it hard even to write the words!)

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
Shove it in a bin liner, stick it in the loft or shed for a few years, then get rid of it once the pain has passed.

I sympathise.  I have half a dozen arrows which need re-fletching, and one of them needs a new nock.  Can I just throw them out?  No way.

But I dumped a lot of stuff when I moved house.  Fifty plus years of loft-gatherings couldn't all go with me.

graphophobia

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2018, 11:41:38 PM »
Had a big blueberry patch to weed, but decided to let the chooks have  a go at it first, to loosen things up. Those gals just got stuck right in and cleaned the whole thing up. Job done!

Jewel

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 3
  • I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat - Poe
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 25, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
After being a 1 car family for 4 weeks, got my car back from the workshop today  ;D ;D ;D I am independently mobile once again and hubby can remedy his cabin fever.
Work - The eraser of the writing class

Amie

• Kudos: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
Had a big blueberry patch to weed, but decided to let the chooks have  a go at it first, to loosen things up. Those gals just got stuck right in and cleaned the whole thing up. Job done!

How do they know to get go for the weeds and leave the blueberry plants alone? (Or is it just that blueberries / blueberry plants aren't very tasty to chickens?)

graphophobia

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2018, 12:47:18 AM »
They just scritch around the bases for insects and worms, no interest in the bushes at all. That would probably be different if the plants were in fruit, I don't think I'd trust them then!

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
After being a 1 car family for 4 weeks, got my car back from the workshop today  ;D ;D ;D I am independently mobile once again and hubby can remedy his cabin fever.

Is that still The Silver Bullet?

graphophobia

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2018, 12:54:39 AM »
It's just one of those beautiful crisp winter days, and I'm glad I live somewhere with such distinct seasons. I grew up where there were really only two seasons( winter was just slightly colder and rainier than summer. ), so it's nice to experience the whole gamut of seasonal weather.

graphophobia

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2018, 12:13:08 AM »
Having someone else cook dinner for me tonight, that's always a real treat. (Hoping another someone else might do the dishes.)

graphophobia

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 29, 2018, 03:32:40 AM »
Had a wonderful Midwinter Xmas dinner last night, and no, I didn't have to do any dishes. The dinner was lovely, but the mulled wine was fantastic! :)