Author Topic: Life is Good  (Read 11413 times)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 7
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
Re: Life is Good
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
And I almost forgot what I really came her to tell:

I had a wonderful time with my cousin today. Went all the way up north to see her. I'd never been to see her before and only saw her on weddings and funerals, so I didn't really know what to expect, but it was so nice. We had lunch shortly after I arrived, and after lunch she played the piano and I sang. There was this instant "click", we understood each other even without words and neither of us got nervous - though she always gets nervous playing the piano when there's others around (even her own husband) and I get nervous singing when there's others around - but somehow we didn't get on each other's nerves at all.

After the singing she showed me some of her family pictures and there was this picture of her daughter playing the violin at age eight or so, and she looked so much like mine playing the violin at that age, it was quite extraordinary. Only her daughter is a blonde with blue eyes, whereas mine's a brown-eyed brunette.

Then we had tea, and shared some family stories. It's a pity we live so far apart, or we'd be able to see each other more often. I would have liked that.
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 8
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
We went to Tryday, an event at a local organic/farmer's market/mixed with regular grocery store. The first Friday of each month they have little taste test stations. We tried this dessert thing that was delicious there.

I bought the ingredients and made it yesterday for us.

I've never tried those rolls of pastry dough things and I wasn't too sure about it. But now ... I've found a new treat and plan on buying more for an easy dessert anytime.

I will take a roll of dough down next time we go to see the kids in Hilton Head. Frankie can help me make the stuff and we will have a family treat.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
I'm still off work today for the weekend! One more day to play quietly.  I shall cherish it fully. Tomorrow back to the grind, but tomorrow is not guaranteed. So today I enjoy and not worry about it.

A radio personality on a local station recently had listeners call in: If you could ban one thing from the world, what would it be? Many people said bad drivers, road rage, stupid people at Walmart...pretty much the standard things that annoy us all.

I didn't call in, but I did spend a few days thinking about the question. And I decided if I could ban anything from the world it would be what I call the Sunday afternoon dread. That time when you realize the weekend is winding down and you have to go back to work tomorrow.

I used to be plagued with this problem, but with age, I've started fighting it. I refuse to let my weekend free time slip away while worrying about work. These days, when I'm not at work, I'm not at work. period. I'm home, where I like to be. 

Follow along my journey as I create a newsletter titled Motivation for Life. Just message me “I’m in” and I'll add you.

Jo Bannister

• If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
I used to be plagued with this problem, but with age, I've started fighting it.

Given a bit more age, Birdie, it'll stop being a problem altogether!  Don't believe anyone who says they don't know how to fill their time now they're retired.  It is brilliant not having to go in to work on a Monday.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 7
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »
Today, life sure is good. Travel went well, and the hotel is perfect! Of course I paid good money for it, so it should be perfect, but it's always nice to see you spent your money well.

Having a father-daughter night at the hotel is even better. I'm a lucky guy.
Work those fingers: write 250+ words a day
Write one poem a week

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:55 PM »
It was cold and windy and rainy and nasty outside. But I was inside and safe and warm and comfortable.

graphophobia

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2018, 09:32:00 PM »
I got some Black Doris plums off my tree the birds didn't manage to get,  picked a huge tub of apples off the three Peasgoods, and the sweetcorn is almost ready to pick. The beans, peas and courgettes are still going strong, and we should have the figs, cauliflowers and pears soon. The garden has been bumper this year.  :)

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
I got some Black Doris plums off my tree the birds didn't manage to get,  picked a huge tub of apples off the three Peasgoods, and the sweetcorn is almost ready to pick. The beans, peas and courgettes are still going strong, and we should have the figs, cauliflowers and pears soon. The garden has been bumper this year.  :)

So I assume you are a toe hanger of sorts, like our beloved FF? This sounds like late summer to early fall. But it also sounds delicious.

Yesterday I rocked the gym. My son called and made me say a few times that I was proud of my performance/improvement and happy with the results. I'm usually far more negative and it keeps creeping, even now, into my stupid head, that although the weight was heavy for me, it wasn't heavy for most of the others. And then I realize that all of the others aren't a little old lady. And I remember to be happy again.

Gyppo

• Kudos: 21
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
Still light enough to see easily outdoors at 5 PM.  The days are getting longer.  Spring is on it's way.  Some flowers peeping up here and there, and buds starting to fill out even if they're not showing any green yet.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »
I got my new(ish) computer and my (brand) new printer to talk to one another!  Was just about despairing when suddenly the printer started turning over.  Print quality's not great yet - I think it needs to run itself in.

Or am I kidding myself?

Heidi52

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
I think you will get it working properly. If it's sat in the box for a while it may need to run a few pages for everything to get properly lubricated.

I recently got a wireless printer which will print from either my laptop or my phone. I love it! Pretty high tech for an old lady.  ;)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 21
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
I got my new(ish) computer and my (brand) new printer to talk to one another!  Was just about despairing when suddenly the printer started turning over.  Print quality's not great yet - I think it needs to run itself in.

Or am I kidding myself?

Some new printers are set by default to the draft or economy setting.  Quite often this is perfectly adequate, but if you're used to nice dark print the economy 'ink saving' setting can be a bit feeble looking.

But run off a few pages first and see if it settles down.

If not have a poke around in the settings.

graphophobia

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »

So I assume you are a toe hanger of sorts, like our beloved FF? This sounds like late summer to early fall. But it also sounds delicious.

Toe hanger? Not an expression I'm familiar with. And yes, in our part of the world, it's late summer, harvest time.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
Thanks, guys.  It's dark enough but blurry.  It was getting better towards the end of the last thing I printed.  As you say, I think I'll live with it for a day or two and give it a chance to settle in.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
I did nothing yesterday and lots of it. After the gym, I had the day off and I used it.