Author Topic: It's been a Topsy Turvey month  (Read 2494 times)

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
It's been a Topsy Turvey month
« on: November 26, 2021, 03:35:22 AM »
As I briefly mentioned several days ago,my mother has been the hospital with Covid.Rather than spam other subs Ive created this sub..

3 days after finally being admitted to the ICU,mom had to be airlifted to Vancouver's COVID ward. She spent four days in a medically induced coma,on a ventilator.Yesterday they where able to bring her awake.

I just received an update that tomorrow they will run a test to determine if she can breathe on her own, currently recieving 30% oxygen assistance..

Mom was wary of the COVID vaccine as she's allergic to certain preservatives used in vaccine manufacturing...After what she's been through these side effects must be mild in comparison...

I will keep you updated

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a Topsy Turvey month
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 02:53:10 PM »
I am so glad your mother is doing better. I know it will be a long road to complete recovery but she seems to be quite the fighter. Go, Mom!!!!
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 11:22:27 PM »
She's a non smoker so that really helped!!!

Hopefully she can be reunited with her husband for the holidays

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 04:33:25 PM »
Mom hasn't losther sense of humor 8)

Quote: I had less than 50% chance to make it out alive. I'm still kicking my heels (though not too hard, lol) instead of kicking the bucket,  lol

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »
That's a proper Mum ;-)

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 05:23:54 PM »
She said all the doctors came by to 'gaze at this phenomenon'

Seriously,for someone to buck the trend and survive makes staff feel better.I can't imagine what it must be like watching their patients die despite all the efforts they make

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 02:23:34 PM »
We don't like it. That's experience speaking. It breaks our hearts. And there has been enough heartbreak of late. I'm so glad your mother is on the mend. It is remarkable and absolutely lovely. We all (nurses, doctors, all the staff) love when it works.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:07 PM »
We don't like it. That's experience speaking. It breaks our hearts. And there has been enough heartbreak of late. I'm so glad your mother is on the mend. It is remarkable and absolutely lovely. We all (nurses, doctors, all the staff) love when it works.

She's very fortunate having only spent 4 days on a ventilator.Study after study show that the longer one spends on a ventilator=long lasting issues..

When my dad had a heart attack,the placed him on a ventilator. Unfortunately he had another heart attack afterwards and passed away..I still miss him all these years later but I know he would likely have suffered brain damage from lack of oxygen..

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 11:54:24 AM »
I just saw this thread, Frank, so I'm late in saying how happy I am that your Mom is on the mend. That was a scary week for you all, and this is the best possible outcome. Sounds like your Mom is a real fighter  :)
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 04:12:25 AM »
I just saw this thread, Frank, so I'm late in saying how happy I am that your Mom is on the mend. That was a scary week for you all, and this is the best possible outcome. Sounds like your Mom is a real fighter  :)
Correction :Mom was intubated for 8 days not 4 ::)

She finally tested negative,once she recieved a 2nd negative test she'll be able to fly home

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:37 PM »
Mom still has off days but is slowly getting better.She managed to walk around unaided yesterday.

She's lost 40 pounds :o

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 09:14:10 AM »
She lost 40 pounds!

Deb, for half a second, thinks to self, "Maybe I should try to get COVID." I'm vaccinated though. Haven't boostered yet.

Seriously though, I'm happy to hear it, Frank. I hope she recovers fully and has no lasting complications. Will she get the vaccination after she recovers? I've read the antibodies made from infection do not last long and are not resistant to the newer strains.

Glad for your good news. Heart attacks are hard to witness in a loved one. They are devastating. Sorry to hear about your dad.

My mom died on Christmas Eve. Christmas was one holiday she spent with me every year she could until my sister kidnapped her. That's another story.

I hope your mom is well enough to celebrate Christmas with you.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »
Thanks Deb!!!!

Mom flew home yesterday.She had to be readmitted to the local hospital as her doctor didn't like how she sounded...

In other news my uncle had stents placed in several arteries after a mild heart attack....

I am looking forward to a better year next year...

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 03:35:35 AM »
Unbeknownst to family,mum apparently suffered several heart attacks whilst intubated...She thinks it may be all the steroids pumped in her ....

She's had to fight to receive an oxygen concentrator to help her throughout the day.Her lungs are scarred....

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 11:49:06 AM »
I'm sorry.  But it's early days.  Don't underestimate the efforts a body will make to get well.