Author Topic: Must be getting old...  (Read 125 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Must be getting old...
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:16:24 PM »
They say you know you're getting old when policemen start looking younger.  But what about nurses?

Mum spent quite a lot of time in and out of the eye unit in the last ten years of her life, and I noticed that most of the nurses there were small, not much more than five feet in height and correspondingly built.  When I mentioned this one of them rather triumphantly told me she was the shortest, at only four foot ten.

She said several of them 'gravitated' to the eye unit, as places became available, because it was a place where they rarely had to physically lift patients around, unlike the more general wards.  Which makes perfect sense.  (The right tool for the job.)

But none of them looked particularly child-like.  Just small, bordering on tiny.

So why did the nurse who gave me my second Covid jab on Friday look like a schoolkid on work experience?   A 'ragged urchin' bob, a straight up and down body, and tiny little trainer shod feet.

She had nurse's eyes though, calm and patient.

She was a dab-hand with the needle, as close to painless as these things ever get.  Seemed delighted when I told her this.

There's whole generation of nurses out there who are gaining 'total immersion' experience with the syringe.  Could be useful when I get really old. ;-)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:06:13 AM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 15
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: Must be getting old...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 02:34:47 PM »
I can still remember giving someone a jab, a first for me. No one told me how much force to put behind the dartlike movement and the syringe just popped back upwards without the needle having penetrated. I tried again and successfully managed to deliver the payload, whatever it was.

I got much better over time. Thank goodness.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »
I long ago gave up trying to administer injections to the horses - antibiotics, vitamins, whatever.  I was just so bad at it.  Too much imagination - it felt as if that needle was going into me.  So in spite of knowing exactly how to do it, well enough to teach other people, at the last minute I always chickened out and ended up just tickling the poor creatures.  I could hear them sigh, and check their watches, and wonder how much longer they had to stand here waiting for the wimp with the syringe.  If they had opposable thumbs - or any thumbs - they'd have taken over and done it themselves. 

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
Jo, I love the mental image of a big sturdy horse casually dipping its head, looking at a watch strapped around one leg, and slowly rolling its eyes at you.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
Craig has a new recruit on his team and the man is only 21 years old. During is first few weeks, while still on probation and not really necessary because the rest of the crew was totally staffed, they had a middle-of-the-night call out. The young man did not wake up to the alarm and everyone was ready to go except Sleeping Beauty. Craig was told by the chief to go get the sleeper out of bed. He sorta lost his temper when the kid woke up and asked why someone was waking him up. Craig said, "I just wanted to snuggle" and then mentioned that maybe they should go out on the call.

Later, when retelling the story, he said he felt bad about losing his temper. I pointed out he was old enough to be the kids father and he started to tell me he wasn't, but then, realized he was. It was a bit shocking for my son to realize just exactly how old he is. I guess having a newborn in the house made him think he was younger. But he isn't.

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 08:12:59 AM »
Now I'm in my sixties I think I've lost the ability to estimate the age of people. I have to use age ranges such as: twelve to forty-five, forty-five to seventy, sventy+.

Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »
I still do fairly well with the middle aged. It's the teens and twenties I can't tell from each other which would please the hell out of the teens and mortify the twenties.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »
I'm pretty bad at ages, but even worse at faces.  I'd be the muggee least likely to identify her attacker in a police line-up.  The moment someone speaks I have them, but till then, nearly everybody looks vaguely familiar.  Is there a facial equivalent of dyslexia?

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 03:33:21 PM »
There is. There is actually a thing where people don't even recognize their own faces.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 04:47:51 PM »
About 5 years ago strangers started addressing me as 'Sir' instead of 'guy'....

I've also been guilty of referring to ladies as 'Dear' ::)

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »
There is. There is actually a thing where people don't even recognize their own faces.

How unfortunate.

Who is that ugly bugger that seems to be in all our photos?!

It is you, dear.
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 08:27:32 PM »
Jo,

It's called Prosopagnosia. Around two in every 100 people in the UK, suffer from it to some extent and it can vary from mild to total.  People with this condition often can't even recognise their own famlly.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/face-blindness/

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
Well, you live and learn!  I've always suspected I was just too lazy to remember faces.  I imagine my Prosopagnosia is pretty mild - except for passports, where it's mandatory to look like Dracula's grandmother, I have no problem recognising myself or people I know reasonably well.  But casual acquaintances, actors on screen, that sort of thing, have to take pot luck.  I remember, fifty years ago, watching Richard Burton in "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" - and the bits where he was (being a spy) pretending to be someone else, I actually thought he was.  Made absolute nonsense of the whole story-line. 

And I failed my first motorcycle driving test because I didn't recognise the examiner.  He lurked on a street corner till I drove up and then raised a hand, meaning me to do an emergency stop - and I thought it was just someone else I'd met sometime, and waved back...

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
I'm bad with faces and ages, but I jab myself once every two weeks. I'm pretty good at it, but it'll never be my hobby. Still, it's much more convenient than having to go to the doctor's once every two weeks.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
After my prostate removal I had to jab myself in the stomach twice a day for several days with some anti-thrombosis stuff.  I wasn't looking forward to this at all, but with a fine and very sharp needle it was less uncomfortable than I'd imagined it would be.

But as Dan said, I couldn't see myself tasking it up as a hobby.

I was glad when they said I could stop.

Gyppo