Author Topic: Just thinking...  (Read 187 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Just thinking...
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
...if breathing wasn't an autonomous reflex, I suspect most creative types would die young whilst deeply preoccupied ;-)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:20:11 PM by Gyppo »

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Just thinking...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 05:37:55 PM »
I've noticed sometimes I will all of a sudden take a really deep breath as though I had stopped breathing for a few seconds. The funny thing is that I don't really know for sure if I had stopped breathing because I was busy.  ;D ;D ;D  It will likely remain just a suspicion.
Motivation for Life

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:40:18 PM »
The second hardest thing I've ever learnt to do is hover a helicopter. The first hardest is to hover a helicopter while breathing. Which just goes to show that if you overload your brain, bits start to shut down.
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:12 AM »
I once had a horse go ape-shit on me, with no warning, on a main road.  Lots of ways to die.  What was interesting - afterwards - was how my brain focused on what needed doing to the exclusion of everything else.  My vision narrowed and lost colour, so I had just a monochrome tunnel to deal with.  I stayed on, just - stirrups waving wildly out of reach - couldn't stop the horse but did manage to steer him past the 120-degree turn which he wanted to take and which, at a full gallop, would have brought us down.  He did stumble, and I did slither down his shoulder, but both of us escaped without injury; which was remarkable really, and a tribute to brains everywhere.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
Another one who's had the black and white experience ;-)

It's truly strange, isn't it?

It's amazing just how focussed you can be under extreme circumstances.  When you don't need colour the brain just turns it off.

As for the breath-holding bit...  When we were training new people for our medieval shows it was surprising how many forgot to breathe when concentrating on avoiding  swords and staves.  They soon adapted, or left.

You can't leap around doing a two minute fight sequence without oxygen ;-)

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
You can't ride a minute-and-a-half show-jumping course without oxygen either.  At least, you can, but you throw up as you leave the ring afterwards.  (No, not me this time - a friend.)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 01:36:44 AM »
Not as harrowing or dangerous, but you can't do double unders (jump rope on steroids) either. It is the constant chant of coaches.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.