Author Topic: Buggered - UPDATE  (Read 288 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Buggered - UPDATE
« on: March 16, 2021, 07:01:53 AM »
Currently in computer limbo.

Limping along with a rather tenuous laptop connection as my main workhorse is dead.  My son-in-law tried to fix it last night but the recovery software was taking ages to download.

Partway though his fire and rescue service pager went off.

As far as I, the luddite, can work out the download finished at about midnight with a message it had been 'unable to create the recovery software'.

After this it decided it needed to update Windows, with lots of 'please wait' messages, and then nearly every bloody programme on there as well because they were all several versions behind. rhe latest ones.

Fortunately my 'tame geek' has already volunteered to came back today and sort it all out.  This time bringing his own set of recovery tools.

More later folks, when all is back in order.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:39:37 PM by Gyppo »

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: Buggered
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »
Good luck.  These things work so well most of the time that you feel absolutely stymied when one refuses duty.

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
Technology is great. Until it isn't.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
Still managed to kill a couple of spammers though.

very satisfying.

But using this pokey little screen and bog-standard settings has made me realise  just how 'personalised' my main machine has become over the last few years.  I miss my bigger font and large red cursor.

Gyppo

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Buggered - UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 10:45:44 PM »
My son-in-law fixed it.  He did his computer voodoo, but it took a couple of hours.

He said it was just as well I had plenty of backups, as this allowed him to feel reasonably safe about trying recovery techniques he's not used before.

"Are you sure you have all your important stuff backed up?  Just in case the worst happens."

"Oh yes."

Now it's all working again I've made another up to date backup, set a recovery point, and will shortly be making a recovery thumb-drive.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
Did he have any guess as to what sent your faithful computer into a tailspin?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
I know what did it.  I was trying to resize one of the partitions on a drive to cure another problem.  I've done this before, using a reputable tool called Partition Wizard.

But something deep inside my computer didn't like the idea and went on strike.

Simon said it shouldn't have made it crash.   Basically he had to do the same to put it right but he had to do it time and time again until it 'stuck'.  He said he had no idea why it worked the twelfth time and not on any previous attempts.

I have since deleted all traces of Partition Wizard from my computer.  Twenty years ago it served  me well, but not this time.

Gyppo

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 12:22:07 AM »
Glad you got things back in order, Gyppo.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 09:20:10 AM »
Gyppo

Random unexplainable issues are often a sign that a memory chip has failed. If your tame geek has not already checked it, it's worth a look. It's easy to test and can save hours/days of faffing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/

Mark
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »
Glad you got things back in order, Gyppo.

So am I.  A dead computer is like a silent but reproachful wife.  It just sits there, saying nothing, doing nothing, but giving you that blank-eyed stare ;-)

Once I was relatively sure it was 'talking to me again', I updated a few of my regular 'everyday' programmes as well.  I even paid for the upgrade to my 'magic clipboard tool, which I have been using since before the turn of the century.  It installed easily enough, but took a while to find nearly all the stored clips from way back.  I fear a few of them may be still be missing, but I haven't given up hope yet.

The new version has a few more 'bells and whistles' than I'm used to, and I'll probably turn some of them off.  I've never used more than a fraction of its full capability, and was amazed to learn, during installation, that the last upgrade, as opposed to a routine update,  I made was in 2004.  That's the sign of a reliable bit of software ;-)

I realise that Windows itself could now provide most of what this latest iteration offers, but I like familiar tools which I don't have to think about too much, and although it looks a little different it still works the same way.

My tame guru has been making noises about me getting a slightly more modern and faster machine.  I told him I won't be buying new, but a quality refurb with higher specs might be interesting.

We shall see.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:51:16 AM by Gyppo »

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
Gyppo

Random unexplainable issues are often a sign that a memory chip has failed. If your tame geek has not already checked it, it's worth a look. It's easy to test and can save hours/days of faffing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/

Mark

Cheers, Mark.

Already did that, and its fine.  It's part of my 'pre-flight checklist' after any major changes.   I have no real idea how a lot of this stuff works, but I'm good at following instructions on 'checking tools'.

I remember when Ram chips would sometimes pop loose of their own accord.  The current ones are clamped in, but I still check for 'physical' location when I  do the twice yearly 'de-fluff' of the insides.  New Year and Mid-Summer unless I see signs of overheating.

But thanks for the heads-up anyway.