Author Topic: An unexpectedly convincing demonstration  (Read 521 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
An unexpectedly convincing demonstration
« on: March 05, 2021, 10:53:56 PM »
    I was showing Alma how to set a rat trap.  (Mainly to discourage her from playing around with such things if she finds one unattended. ) The two I have are very serious neck-breaking traps, and although they can be 'unset', very carefully, they would certainly break child-sized fingers .  I wouldn't volunteer to stick mine in there either.

I looked around for something relatively safe and solid to safely trigger the damned thing.  My eyes fell on the plastic handled hand brush from the pound shop.  I tapped the handle lightly on the setting plate, and there was an almighty crash and the trap somersaulted across the floor.  Accompanied by a cloud of shards of green plastic.  Cheap plastics go brittle in the sunlight, and that brush lives by the window.

I made some startled  comment about fornicating in hell, and then apologised to Alma and Allison.  They both appreciate the fact that I say sorry, and it teaches her it's not right.  Maybe understandable if you're hurt or startled, but not right.   Especially not in front of ladies and children.   And if any rampant feminist thinks that makes me a 'sexist pig' I've one thing to say to them.  "Oink!"

It took us quite a while to find all the bits.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:40:36 AM by Gyppo »

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: An unexpectedly convincing demonstration
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »
Bloody hell!

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »
Quite!

Compared to the lightweight soft-springed plastic traps from a pound-shop these are total beasts.  Not quite as powerful as a gamekeeper's Fenn traps, but close.

In the last twenty four hours they haven't caught anything yet inside my shed.  The rat(s) I have seen in my garden have clearly chewed a hole through the edge of a damaged plank to get inside, and there are scuff marks on the soil by the shed.  This is one of the reasons I've started there with the traps.  They also nibbled the lid off an empty but presumably still food-smelling marmite jar in a collection of jars.

It may be that was the only thing which tempted them in there, because despite being a bit damp-smelling after the winter rains the shed doesn't have a 'ratty stink' about it.

It could be they're woodland rats which are just 'visiting' from a few yards away. They may just be passing through en route to visiting a neighbours garden because she leaves food out for the hedgehogs.

If they don't catch anything in the shed within a few days I'll knock up a wooden tunnel  to avoid accidentally catching any wandering cats or hedgehogs, and set them along the fence line.

Maybe I'll bait one with Marmite too, seeing as they've already shown an interest in this product ;-)

I'd rather not have to do any of this, but a)  I don't like the idea of poisons, which could kill other animals as well, and b)  I'll soon be wanting to have my back door open during the day and I don't want the buggers inside my home.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:56:43 AM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »
While swearing in front of ladies and children does have its drawbacks, I bet the demonstration taught Alma not to get anywhere NEAR the damn traps. Which was the essence of the lesson, although it may have been more forcefully given than intended.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »
Seems that my rat(s) don't reckon much to peanut butter as bait, despite it being one of the recommendations.  If it's still untouched tomorrow morning I'll un-cock the traps and give the springs a rest whilst I clean it out and swap it for Marmite.  Maybe that will attract a better class of rat ;-)

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:50:22 PM »
We've only had mouse problems and they happily went for peanut butter in humane traps. I'd cycle into Wales and release them in the ruins of a Methodist Chapel 5 miles away. They became church mice.

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »
I'm told chocolate is the best bait for mice.  Maybe it works for rats too.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 09:43:37 PM »
Chocolate spread is the other recommended option.  But I'm still going to try marmite seeing as they chewed the lid off the jar.  They must have thought there ws something in there worth having.  Plus the fact I have no chocolate spread in the house.  Block chocolate they can, if lucky, knock of the pressure plate without getting caught.

No catch today.

Maybe they are just woodland 'travellers', passing through my garden en route to the hedgehog food. 

But with the amount of baking I'm doing lately they won't be able to resist a visit if I leave the bungalow door open.  Perhaps the shed was just 'winter quarters' last year.  But I'm not taking a chance.

Gyppo

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
You can leave a door open this weather? Iron or antifreeze in your veins.