Author Topic: Had my first Covid jab today.  (Read 651 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Had my first Covid jab today.
« on: February 11, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
When the English put their minds to it they organise things well.  It ran like clockwork.  Lots of arrows on the floor to organise the internal 'traffic flow', and lots of well-wrapped folks in the car park doing the same.  I was ticked off from at least four printed lists during the process.

They were running a spare desk to deal with late arrivals and problems.  Inside the building the ones manning the desks were kind of people you see as returning officers at elections and such-like, no-nonsense bureaucrats, totally unfazed by numbers.

They had a burly security man there as well, just in case.

The final check before the actual jab was a lovely and very 'wide' lady, with shoulders like a wrestler.  She ran through all the warnings and possible side effects and pointed out that it wouldn't be fully effective until a few weeks after the I'd had the second shot. 

"So you'll still have to to stick to the basic social distancing guidelines."

"So no rushing up and flinging my arms around any strange and attractive young ladies with smiling eyes above their mask?"

She went red and burst out laughing.  "No. Not recommended...  Damn...  That's thrown me right off my stride."

"Sincere apologies if I've messed up your script."

She took a few more seconds to gather her wits as her blush  faded.  Lovely girl, under different circumstances I'd have been tempted to invite her out for a drink.   Seems the old rogue can still make them smile.  The old Arena Magic ;-)

She finished her set speech, still smiling, and handed me over to the two nurses.  One more identity check and then the jab.

"Aren't you cold wearing sandals and short sleeved shirt?  It's freezing out there."

"Do I look stupid?   Seriously?  I'm just acclimatised, like the girl who habitually wears a short skirt when everyone else is shivering in a trouser suit.  And the sleeves make this bit easier."

After she'd stabbed me I told her it was almost painless.

"I'll take that as compliment."

"You certainly can.  Take care, Ladies."

======

Those who had driven themselves there were shunted off into a waiting room for fifteen minutes in case of any allergic reactions.  I was asked to wait for fifteen minutes in my daughter's car. "If you start feeling strange just beep the horn and we'll take it from there."

So far, two and half hours later, still no side effects.

And I'm still smiling at the thought of the little bubbles of amusement I left in my wake as I passed through the 'jab factory'.  Especially the 'wide' lady. ;-)  A spontaneous good deed can be its own reward sometimes.

As my daughter said, "They'll be talking about you at break time."

Gyppo

PS:  I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine.  (The 'Proper English One.")
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:05:43 PM by Gyppo »

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Had my first Covid jab today.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:10:24 AM »
Glad you got your jab, Gyppo. And I do believe your daughter is right.  :)
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:42 AM »
I must admit I feel as if I'm finally fighting back against the creeping menace instead of just hoping it will pass me by.  That feeling is worth something.  Better than relying on mere chance.  I'm not really wired for passive hope.

=====

I'll tell you something else.  A few days ago my own doctor wanted to talk to me about my latest routine blood test results, and he also asked me if I'd had my first jab yet.  i told him it was booked in for today and told him where, at the nearest community vaccination centre.

"Why didn't you come to us?  We injected all our group four high risk people like you about two weeks ago.  Didn't you get the letter inviting you?"

I didn't.  Must have been one of those rare cases of a letter going astray in the post I guess.  As all ex posties know, it doesn't happen often, but it can.

I'll see if I can get the second jab done at my own surgery, it will be more convenient.  Although it might be fun to see the 'wide' lady again ;-)

We shall see.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:29:56 AM by Gyppo »

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 10:59:33 AM »
I was meant to get mine on Wednesday past, but I had to cancel - I've had a sinus infection and two courses of heavy-duty antibiotics.  Feeling better now, have rearranged jab for a week today.

Glad to hear you had no side effects.  Some people are feeling a bit flu-ey for a day or two.

Must say, I'm feeling a kind of vicarious pride in the fact that our government, which can generally be depended on to make a horlicks of a piss-up at a brewery, has done this so much better than just about anyone else's. 

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
My son-on-law had the Pfizer version and ended up with a very sore and 'heavy feeling' arm, and 'a stinking headache' for a few days.

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 12
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »
Got it yesterday.  I had the Pfizer version too, at my county hospital.  Fortunately a very kind neighbour drove me there, or I'd still be walking back to the carpark!

No side-effects so far.  The arm's a bit sore, but I had them use the one with the arthritic fingers attached so as to leave me one half-decent side.  Otherwise, I'm a bit tired but I was before.  I think I'd know by now if there was anything worse in the pipe-line.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
I had a dull persistent headache a couple of days afterwards which may have been connected because I don't normally 'do' headaches.  But it may have been down to too much screen-time.  Either way it was only in the 'annoyance' category rather than a problem and only lasted one day.

Back in my drinking days I had far worse hangovers ;-)

Gyppo

DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
I'm on the back burner list here in California. I just turned 58. I'm nowhere near the soon-to-be vaccinated list.

My 65 and 68-year-old friends and my 76 and 77-year-old friends have made appointments twice, waited in line twice, then been turned back because they weren't first responders or living in retirement facilities.

They had appointments. Wouldn't you think they'd clear that up BEFORE people lined up and waited for hours in mass for shots? It's almost as if someone put out a wanted ad for people who could make the biggest mess out of a simple operation.
Asshats!

I'm relieved to know the rest of you are getting vaccinated. Do you know if you can still be a carrier after you've been vaccinated and are immune? It seems you could be but I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:13:53 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
From what I understand, this is not a sure fire "you will not get or carry covid" vaccine. It is a "you should not now die from covid" vaccine. It is still recommended that you wear a mask in public and all that stuff that Americans are so forking great at. So we, over here, are doomed by the stupid.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »
I believe the figures I was quoted at the time of my first jab were  "This is 60% effective at preventing you from catching Covid.  It will certainly reduce the effects if you do.  After the second jab it should be more like 90% effective.   In the meantime stick to the distancing and mask wearing guidelines."

The problem is these are new vaccines for a still relatively new threat.  Although they seem very promising there is still no huge background of really solid statistics.  The different variants could still provide a nasty shock.

I read somewhere recently of people who have already had the two jabs volunteering to deliberately be infected to test the efficacy.  I truly admire these souls, but I'm not that community minded.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
Glad to see you haven't lost your spark...

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »
I'm on the back burner list here in California. I just turned 58. I'm nowhere near the soon-to-be vaccinated list.

I'm in the same boat, Deb, only in the Netherlands instead of California.

At least my dad had his first jab a week (or two?) ago.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

I'm in the same boat, Deb, only in the Netherlands instead of California.

At least my dad had his first jab a week (or two?) ago.

Good for Dad. We can sit back and watch it work for our more senior friends.

I saw today that Pfizer wants to make their vaccine a yearly jab, like a flu shot. Am I the only one skeptical that this is just a capitalistic ploy because that the first I've heard of it?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:20:20 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
I have heard all along that they aren't sure of the length of time it remain effective. A tetanus shot is only good for so long, as well, and if it has been longer than that many years (I can't remember if it is five or ten) then you need another one.

But it is also true that the virus may mutate so much in a year that the current iteration may no longer be effective and a "next year" shot would be a variant of the formula to coincide with the variant of the virus.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 03:12:36 AM »
I reasoned that was most likely the case but I'm always skeptical of capitalism.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb