Author Topic: We all need answers  (Read 719 times)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: We all need answers
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
I think I remember lying in my pram in the front garden of the house we moved to before I was a year old.  I certainly remember being in nappies - and I haven't needed those for, ooh, several years now.  So I'd have been, what, maybe two years old?  I also remember - for reasons which will become obvious - fiddling with the parking brake on my push-chair until it released and I went sailing down the hill towards the main road.  My mum must have broken the land speed record to catch me.

But don't ask me what I was doing last Monday.

When did you stop thinking of your siblings as a burden and start thinking of them as a blessing?  Assuming you don't still think of them as a burden.

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 15
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
My older sister was always a blessing. My younger sister was mostly a pain in the ass until I moved out our parents house and she and I no longer shared a bedroom. She is a slob and I am OCDish about that stuff. And she wore my clothes and just got into everything.

Once I moved out and we could just be two people without her getting her grubby hands all over my stuff, we started to get along better and I even went so far as to dress her in MY clothes for her first and third weddings. She got married (to her first husband for a second time) in Vegas and had to wear her own damn clothes for that.

What have you done different during COVID that you intend to keep doing after all restrictions are lifted?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Having the bulk of my groceries delivered.  I never particularly liked going 'downtown', and deliveries have added to my hermit-like leanings.

This doesn't necessarily mean I'll stop getting out and about, but it will be more for pleasure than utility.  I had a list of places I wanted to visit just before this whole sorry mess kicked off.  I've only added a couple more places to it this last year.

So those places need to be ticked off when I can.  Not one of them is a beach or a 'tourist trap'.  I'll do those in the 'off season' if I can be bothered.

Have you learned any new skills, or attitudes this last year o so?

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »
I really don't think of myself as some sort of social butterfly, but the isolation was getting on my last nerve. I started keeping a list of three things called

Things That Went Well Today.

It's sometimes hard to come up with three things in my boring and routine existence, especially since I'm not really doing much of anything at all. But I have managed. It has made me realize that my life is better than I sometimes think it is. And on some days I have to try to select only the three best things. So there is that.

I've also learned a lot about Zoom since my sisters and I are now pros at it.

What was the last new word you learned?

Mark Hoffmann

• Kudos: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 05:22:19 PM »
encomium. I know because my dictionary says was the last word I looked up. I think I've come across it before, but I'd only class it as learned when the meaning sticks. And now it has.

Have you ever followed one of Gyppo's youtube links only to find the video starts with a totally inappropriate advert?
Writing humour is the hardest thing since sliced bread.

The Severed Hands of Oliver Olivovich
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087SLGLSL
US - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087ZN6L6V

FB Author Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mark-Hoffmann-Writer-102573844786590

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »
Aren't they ALL totally inappropriate adverts? I actually have an ad stripper on my computer so I don't get those. I do sometimes get told that the video in not available in my country. Damn politicians.

I feel sorry for people who need my ad revenue, and there once was a time when I put up with that nonsense. But I lost my patience when I had to watch an entire ad which was longer than the video I wanted to watch. Then they started putting in ads throughout the videos, stopping them every few minutes for another damn add, most of which I could "skip ad" after five seconds and always did, but still ruined the video I wanted to view. So, off with their heads.

Do you drink coffee, and if so, do you have a favorite brand, and if so, what is it?
If you don't drink coffee, what the hell is wrong with you?? And what do you drink instead?

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »
I quite like the odd cup of coffee - supermarket instant - but it doesn't like me any more.  Indigestion.  Mostly I drink tea - supermarket standard, "builders' tea", or sometimes a fruit tea.  What I like best is a mug of hot chocolate; reinforced, for absolute indulgence, with a small shot of Bailey's.  And failing any of that, a glass of milk always feels to do me good.  Sorry to ruin your "hard-drinking journos" preconception.

Do you eat your main meal at lunchtime or in the evening?  Why?  And would you do it differently if you weren't out of the house in the middle of the day?

Mark Hoffmann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:05:22 AM »
In the evening, usually quite late: eight-thirty or nine.

I do most of the cooking and prepare a meal from scratch using fresh ingredients. That takes well over an hour so even if I wanted to eat a meal at lunchtime (it's called LUNCHTIME for a reason you know) I'd not have time to prepare the food. Then there's the wine issue. After a bottle of red, I may not be up to doing stuff in the afternoon.

I always eat breakfast, but I'm never particularly hungry first thing. Amanda, on the other hand, would surely collapse and die if she didn't have a massive breakfast soon after waking.

What's your breakfast regime?

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 08:18:34 AM »
I don't eat breakfast or lunch :o. I actually feel nauseas if I eat early
I keep odd hours so I never wake up at a set time..

Do you fall asleep at the same time every night?

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
I used to be able to know when I was going to fall asleep. I would go to bed and then, within mere minutes, be sound asleep. Now, I go to bed at relatively the same time each night, but when I fall asleep is a crap shoot and completely "unable to be determined" with current data.

Do you have any growing/living plants inside your house/apartment/domicile?

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »
Yes.  Three tomato plants, two of which look quite enthusiastic so far, and one which is clearly cast in the role of the runt of the litter.  They sit on the windowsill of my bedroom so get the morning sun.

On the same windowsill is a single hazel tree in a pot.  Last year it only had two leaves, but it was the sole survivor of nine hazel nuts rescued from the old house and planted in pots.  This year it's sprouted about a dozen leaves, but now seems to have stalled, but then so has the weather.   It's not shedding the small leaves or looking troubled, it's just 'marking time.

Once they're established at least two of the tomato plants will be migrating to the  kitchen window sill, with a network of sticks for support.

Do any of you have an exotic pet, and if so what?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:44:35 AM by Gyppo »

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 03:13:12 PM »
I have no pets. I once had a dog. My kids had hamsters. I'm not very pet oriented although LC was adorable and all. And my sons two dogs, one cat, one chameleon, and whatever else they have bought are nice. My other son's dog is nice but older than Methuselah. He once owned a snake and brought it home from college with him along with the frozen mice he was going to need to feed the thing while at my house. Both kids have had aquariums. As children, they had goldfish that didn't survive long.

What are you hoarding?

Mark Hoffmann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
Cholesterol.

But I'm not much of a hoarder of things. I'm more a throw it away and then regret it type. Amanda is a bit of a hoarder. She denies it but the hoarders always do.

Have you ever ridden a camel? If not, would you like to?

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »
I've never ridden a camel, and have to say  it doesn't appeal to me.

I rode an elephant once as child.  i was definitely younger than ten at the time.  I  believe it was at Bristol Zoo, but have no way of confirming this now.

What I remember most is how high up it felt, and  the uncomfortable swaying motion, rather akin to being a passenger in a large car with overly-soft wallowing suspension.

Does anyone else have any unusual animal riding experiences?

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
I nearly bought a camel once: does that count?

I was 18 or 19, travelling through Morocco in a beat-up Transit.  We stopped one night in Ouarzazate (I kid you not: it is a real place, it's even got a power station and an airport now) and asked the locals for suggestions for the next morning.  Someone mentioned a camel market somewhere even more remote, a couple of hours across the desert.

Camel traders must get up earlier than Transit hippies, because it was all pretty much over by the time we found it.  Only in the middle of this huge, mediaeval caravanserai was single camel, lying in the sun with its owner beside it.

And I had one of those ideas that seem good at the time.  We could buy the camel, have a bit of fun with it, then sell it at the next market.  I mean, what could go wrong?  I asked the owner what he wanted for it.

"Mille dirham," said he, patting its shoulder.  A dust-cloud rose to the sky.

A thousand dirham equated at that time to a bit over a hundred pounds, which was also a reasonable price for a horse back home.  I beat him down a bit, and was ready to seal the deal when it struck me I hadn't had a test-drive.  "This camel," said I in impeccable French, "it is broken for riding?"  I seem to remember trying frappe, which confused him a bit.  "Pour monter?"

The puzzlement cleared from his face, and his shook his head with the sort of smile you keep for idiots.  "Non, ce n'est-pas pour monter," he explained.  "C'est pour manger!"  It wasn't a riding camel - it was an eating camel.