Author Topic: Well, it pleases me...  (Read 8054 times)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
Re: Well, it pleases me...
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »
Thanks, Gyppo!

I was hoping you would have something to say about it, as I have never done any swordfighting, so I wasn't sure. Slashing of the man's feet would be nice, but a belly is far softer, of course.

But wouldn't the man fall on top of her, then?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:26:14 PM by Dansinger »
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
Join my facebook group Daan's Magical Worlds

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »
He'd already be off-balance because she's burned his face and he's probably already clawing at it.  If he was stood with one foot on her and the other on the ground alongside it's not the most stable position.  He'd probably have most of his weight pressing on her, the triumphal pose of someone sure of his upper hand, ready to deliver the finishing blow.

He'll also be dealing with the shock of the sudden reversal of fortune.  Think of the emotions, not just the physical actions.  You've done judo in your time so you'll know that a fight is only partly physical.  Until the flame hit him he knew he was winning.  His eyes have probably instinctively closed to protect them from the flame.

Now add in the fact that whether she slashed or thrust her body would have moved to accommodate the sudden action, either sideways or upwards, which would interfere with his already precarious balance.  Judo thinking again, exploiting a poor balance.

If she cut through both his legs he's probably going to tip to whichever side she cut first no matter how close the cuts, just as a tree falls to the notched side.

If she skewered him upwards he's going to rear backwards and fall that way.

Once the weight is off she can roll in the appropriate direction and regain her feet.

The only downside to the upwards thrust through the length of his body is that the muscle spasms would clamp so tight around the blade it might well be snatched from her hand as he falls, so she'd need to find another weapon.

But the sudden flame would have mentally unbalanced everyone else for a few useful seconds.  They'd be instinctively backing off.

You know the old saying about 'don't bring a knife to a gunfight'?  Your sword or hand held thrusting-spear would suddenly feel pretty inadequate against an unexpected flame-thrower, wouldn't it?

====

You can't shove all that explanation  into a fight scene without slowing it down, but you can show most of it by concentrating on the victim's reactions more than the cause.  This is how a good theatrical fight works without any real danger.  The audience sees a man fall back and assumes he's been struck. 

Here we are creating the same effect with words.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:32:25 AM by Gyppo »

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »
Thank you so much!

I completely forgot to think Judo here - to busy thinking what the hell she could do with the sword to finish him off. This helped me rethink the whole scene. I've got a much clearer picture of it now.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »
“So, what do we do now?” Neel wanted to know. “Are we just going to sit around doing nothing?” That didn't seem useful to him, or even very likely.

“There's several things,” Mikhandor said. “Bel needs to contact her mother and brother, if she hasn't already, and tell them to join us as soon as possible. We can use all the help we can get. Though these guys we took out today won't be bothering us anymore, there will be others – and Moradin, you're a pathetic fighter. You should take a leaf out of Bel's book.”

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
   Zak took his gift seriously, and he handled his props with appropriate reverence as he spread the Tarot cards face down on the zodiac patterned cloth on the seawall.

"Pick any three, M'Dear."

As the client selected two quickly and hesitated over the third he smiled inwardly.

His gift was a natural intuition, backed up with body language cues, practical psychology, and years of experience.  He could have given an equally penetrating reading using a random handful of pebbles from the beach, or even identical plastic lids from drinking chocolate containers.

But the clients wouldn't have believed that.  Or if they did they'd have felt frightened by his 'powers'.  So he used the colourful illusion to hide the simple  and sometimes uncomfortable reality.

===
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:20:13 PM by Gyppo »

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
“What a load of bollocks! I just drank too much Baileys and now I'm pissed off my arse. That's what happened. Now hit me with a brick, so I'll at least be unconscious till I wake from my drunken stupor.”

“I shall do no such thing.” He sounded aghast. “I'll go see if Ma is still awake. Maybe she can talk some sense into you.”

He turned and left.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:34:30 PM by Dansinger »