Author Topic: The last person to post here wins  (Read 287006 times)

DAnuchan

• Kudos: 3
  • My biggest regret is that I didn't write more.
    • View Profile
Re: The last person to post here wins
« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »
We are indeed the puppet masters, but sometimes the puppets move of their own accord and surprise even us.

That happens to me all the time. I start with something in mind and the characters start changing the story on me. Maybe the characters are the puppet masters and I'm the puppet, dictating their stories for them.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »
Yes, they do have a habit of doing that. If you didn't know any better, you'd think they were real humans.  ;D
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

DAnuchan

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2018, 07:10:55 PM »
You mean my characters are not real? They're only in my head? Egad!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:12:31 PM by DAnuchan »

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
Shh. Don't tell them!
Wherever you go, there you are.

DAnuchan

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 26, 2018, 07:32:28 PM »
Don't tell them? I think they already know. I'm the one in the dark.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #575 on: January 26, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
Of course they know. They love playing games with us.

And Dan, I didn't say they weren't real. I said they're not real humans. There's lots of other species that ordinary humans (you know, those silly buggers that might read but don't write) don't know about. But we do!

DAnuchan

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
My characters are real but not human? Sort of like what one would find in Lovecraft's Cthulhu? Yeah, I could go for that.

That gives me an idea. All of us could meet in Cthulhu.

BTW Dan, I'm still working through your Sins of the Mother you submitted. Not an easy read.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:15:19 PM by DAnuchan »

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »
I have often found myself considering the possibility that my characters exist in a parallel dimension/reality, and that for some lucky reason I have been chosen to see through the barrier and act as their chronicler of events.

Sometimes, like a child encouraging a favourite story-telling uncle, I have to prime the pump a bit first.

But more often than not they prompt me with odd little bits of their lives, which pop into my brain at the most inconvenient times.  These are the times when family and good friends just look at each other, make some comment about me being 'away with the fairies', and put the group conversation into a 'holding pattern' or just work around me until I'm back again.

I had one very good friend who often recognised the signs even before I did.  She would gently stick a pad and pen in my hands, shake her head, and say "I'll go and make a drink, shall I?  You've not really been with me for the last few minutes."

I would be totally unaware that I'd been gradually tuning her out and listening to other voices.  Yet I'm very quick to see it in others who do the same.

She once said "If we were married and I wanted a divorce I could probably name your characters in court."

My ex-wife used to wonder aloud, perhaps more seriously than I realised at the time, if she could cite my typewriter as 'the other woman'.

I wonder if this was how the author and very prolific British writer John Creasey got through four wives as well as his prodigious writing output.

"John, I want a divorce."

"Okay, Dear.  Can you deal with it whilst I finish the latest 'Department Z' novel?"

=====

Some Creasey statistics:  John Creasey MBE (17 September 1908 – 9 June 1973) was an English crime and science fiction writer who wrote more than six hundred novels using twenty-eight different pseudonyms.

And a Creasey quote, with my italics:  “They live in my mind. . . I can see them and hear them much more clearly than most people whom I know in life. Some, like the Toff and the Baron and Gordon Craigie, I’ve known for nearly 40 years; some, such as Cellini, only for five or six. It never occurs to me that they don’t exist.” – John Creasey 

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:09:48 PM by Gyppo »

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:34 PM »
Cthulhu? sort of, but different. They look human. At least, mine do.

I have often found myself considering the possibility that my characters exist in a parallel dimension/reality, and that for some lucky reason I have been chosen to see through the barrier and act as their chronicler of events.

YES! Same here. And it's even as if sometimes I'm allowed to pass through that veil into this other dimension to really be with them.

And thanks Dan, for reading. I never considered the possibility it might be a hard read, but I guess it is at that.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
Frank, Pigs is a dog not a cat.

Then why does he behave like a cat

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 26, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »
Just to piss you off?

Mastafrank

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
He has 6 remaining lives

sitalakshmi

• Always Optimistic
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 27, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
We are indeed the puppet masters, but sometimes the puppets move of their own accord and surprise even us.

True... When I gave my manuscript to a friend to read she commented that the ending was too dark. Just out of curiosity I tried to rewrite it to a happy ending. I was surprised at how much it did not work. My characters were hellbent on walking the path of self-destruction and misery. They did not want to be level - headed and strong and my writing felt forced and unnatural to me. I don't know if the issue was that a happy ending was not part of my plan but some part of it really felt like the characters had a life of their own and there were only certain choices they would make and certain things they would do.
Keep Smiling...

Checkmate(my novel) is now available on Amazon Kindle :https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSTXC3F

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 27, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »
You're definitely one of us, aren't you, Sita? ;-)  Sometimes the characters just won't die.  Or alternatively just won't be saved.  To some extent we give them free will, so we shouldn't be surprised if they choose to use it.  But we often are.

If you've been writing about them for several years, in more than one tale, they take on a definite leaning one way or the other.  But they'll still surprise you on occasion.

A little while back the following scene popped unexpectedly into my head, like a short film rolling across a screen.   Full technicolour and sound.  So vivid I stopped what I was doing and captured it straight away for fear of losing it.

My character clearly wants me to use it at some point.

=====

The dying man looked up at the black clad figure and stretched out one hand, the other forming a bloodstained claw around his crucifix.

"Father...  Forgive me."

John frowned, realised what was happening and knelt alongside.  Frances stared as he crossed himself before marking a cross on the victim's head.

"ego te absolvo."

The man smiled through his pain and relaxed into death.

John stood up.  "Now let's get out of here."

=====

"That," said Frances, "was seriously weird."

"If he thought I was a priest it's as good as the real thing.  He was a brave man.  It cost me nothing to ease him on his way.  Just because I'm not a Christian doesn't mean I can't put in a word for others."

Frances started to speak and then changed her mind.  Sometimes he still surprised her.

===

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 27, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Winning
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive