Author Topic: The last person to post here wins  (Read 287075 times)

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
Re: The last person to post here wins
« Reply #510 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
Yes, they should Patti.
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:40 PM »
I have to go get groceries. I think they should magically appear in your house when you want them.

If Amazon had their way they would.  But you wouldn't be able to see the sky for bloody drones summoned by lazy buggers who've forgotten what their legs are for.

Mind you, its only in the last forty years or so we've lost the enterprising veg men who drove around with a van, knocking on doors of known customers and beeping their horn to attract new customers whilst serving the regulars.

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2018, 12:35:28 AM »
What comes around goes around. Grocery stores are pushing delivery service here.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »
I would use the delivery service if I was house bound and to be honest, just the parking congestion in this town is enough to herd me that way. The bonus would be you shop to a list
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
A lot of the older folk around here have their groceries delivered.  They tell me it works out cheaper in the long run.

My eldest lass used to have a delivery when they were both working full-time.  Can't remember which firm.  They would substitute if they didn't have the stuff on your regular list.   On one occasion every single item in the basket was a substitute ;-)  It made for some interesting meals.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #515 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
They do delivery here too. I don't want it. I want to buy my own food. And it's definitely cheaper for me to just dash to the shop and buy what I need. I run on muscle power. Can't beat that.

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
Going to the grocery store can be the only time I get to socialize with people face to face. I know about a quarter of the people in this town. That's why I go late at night. There are fewer people and most who go late are like me. They want to get the groceries and get out.

I would be a nightmare customer for a delivery service. I want organic, I'm picky about the freshness of produce, and am a stickler for choosing the item with the most distant expiration date. My cashew milk has to come from the coldest part of the refrigerator. Plus, I have to read labels. Can you believe they put food coloring in all but one brand of pickles? Kosher. How green do they need to be? No food coloring, animal testing, or chemicals I can't readily identify. Most processed products you pick up these days are more chemicals than food. The box can't be sticky and I want bread, bagels, tortilla chips from the back of the top shelf where grubby little, nose picking hands can't get to them.

I'm not sure if it's cultural or the fact there are usually three or more tykes in tow, but around here I see more mom's in stores let their kids suck on, drop, and play with products, then put them back on the shelf. *Shudder* Nachos aren't possible with crumbs.

Too many jobs are lost to automation.

That win took too much work.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:11:11 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
I would be a nightmare customer for a delivery service. I want organic, I'm picky about the freshness of produce, and am a stickler for choosing the item with the most distant expiration date. My cashew milk has to come from the coldest part of the refrigerator. Plus, I have to read labels. Can you believe they put food coloring in all but one brand of pickles? Kosher. How green do they need to be? No food coloring, animal testing, or chemicals I can't readily identify. Most processed products you pick up these days are more chemicals than food. The box can't be sticky and I want bread, bagels, tortilla chips from the back of the top shelf where grubby little, nose picking hands can't get to them.

Haha! You sound a lot like me, Deb.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
The manageress at our local co-op took me to task once for selecting two packets of crumpets from the back of the shelf.  They're very hot on stock rotation so the stuff at the  back has a longer shelf life.  But I still read the dates anyway.  Especially on meats.

"There's nothing wrong with the crumpets at the front.  They're still in date.  If everyone was like you we'd end up throwing out lots of out of date stock."

"Not if you didn't over-order in the first place.

She grumbled about me not understanding how their business worked.  I let her vent for a while, then dangled my shopping in front of her.

"It works like this."  Using what family call my irritatingly reasonable tone of voice.  "I'm a regular customer.  I cheerfully pay a bit over the odds for the convenience of shopping here.  If you don't sell me what I want I can go shopping elsewhere. 

"Your choice."

I thought she was going to explode for a few seconds.  Then she grunted and found something else to do.  I noticed one of the other staff, facing up the shelves, smiling to herself.

I still shop there, still pick and choose.  But she no longer works there ;-)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:11:43 PM by Gyppo »

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »
That's priceless, Gyp!

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »
Sometimes people need to be reminded we have a choice.

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
I'm not quite that picky, but I do select packages that haven't been crushed or dented and I make sure my food is within date. I am more selective with produce than with other things. I usually bring meat home and repackage it into smaller portions since there are only the two of us. I'm freezing it anyway and the sell by date doesn't mean so much to me.

I used to use almond milk and then I decided that I really trust cows a lot more than I trust mad scientists who think milk comes from nuts. I switched back to whole milk a couple years ago and there is no grit in my cups and glasses anymore. But I don't go thru it very fast so I try to make sure the expiration date is far out in the future so I have a chance to use it all up before it sours.

I am sure I would save money on some things if I had a delivery service because I impulse buy things. But I would miss all the clearance deals or close to due date items that I also regularly buy at a very reduced price. So it's a trade off.

But some things are a sure thing. Like this. I am winning.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
Ah, labels...

I bought some apples in the co-op today.  They looked nice, didn't feel squidgy, so I bought them.  At home I noticed they had a little sticker which read 'Eating Apples'.  Presumably this is so the terminally confused don't use them to polish their shoes or wipe their bum.

Now I am aware that a category called 'cooking apples' exists, but even then people still eat them, don't they?  Unless they have a secret use as green tarmac, or a sealant for shed roofs.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #523 on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:21 PM »
I try to avoid packaging as much as possible, so I go to the market, the deli, the farmer's shop and bring my own bags and containers. it's more expensive than buying the pre-packaged stuff, but I'm alone, and don't need all that much. I buy mainly ingredients and make my own food, so in the end I don't think it's all that much more expensive. Also, I set myself a budget. €25 a week. That's not much - not even for a guy alone - but I usually manage to stay within that budget. And without having to go hungry too, so it is possible.

And I win. (For now anyway.)

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »
I am an expiry date hunter. When we were on Walkabout in '16, I ran into a little one horse supermarket in a one horse town and grabbed two litres of milk without looking. I should know better because the outback is the outback and it had expired the day before. I was too far away to take it back and throw it at her so lived to dupe the next non looker.
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive