Author Topic: The last person to post here wins  (Read 283611 times)

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
Re: The last person to post here wins
« Reply #330 on: January 12, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
I will have all smites I would say  ;D

I didn't see these till Mark started his Karma thread
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

thatollie

• Kudos: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
I can smite you if you like.
The cool thing about writing what you know is that you can always know more.

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
For a moment there, I forgot which thread I was in. Now I'm a winner, spinner, hungry for vegetarian dinner.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
I plan to get the slowcooker (crockpot) out, for the fist time since moving, and make a fairly basic 'traveller stew' with big chunks of root vegetables.  Probably enough for about three meals so I'll freeze some of it.  I have a smaller slowcooker here as well, but that is an unknown tool, so I'll be sticking with the family sized one for now.

I will probably add meat to some of it when I thaw it out later, for second and third helpings.  Or perhapo turn some of it into a not-too-fiery curry.

It will make my kitchen smell nice.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
I plan to get the slowcooker (crockpot) out, for the fist time since moving, and make a fairly basic 'traveller stew' with big chunks of root vegetables.  Probably enough for about three meals so I'll freeze some of it.  I have a smaller slowcooker here as well, but that is an unknown tool, so I'll be sticking with the family sized one for now.

I will probably add meat to some of it when I thaw it out later, for second and third helpings.  Or perhapo turn some of it into a not-too-fiery curry.

It will make my kitchen smell nice.

Recipe please, Gyp?
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Mmmm. Nothing beats the smell of slow cooked stew.

I forgot I had a crockpot. I didn't bother to unpack all of our boxes because we moved here thinking it would be a short term residence until we found a place we wanted to buy. Now that housing is scarce, prices are out of control. Unless the landlord decides to let the place deteriorate, we'll probably be here for awhile.

Besides, we like living in the avocado orchards with the creek bed in our backyard.  I've grown to appreciate having more space between neighbors.

You've got my stomach growling, Gyppo. I'm going to have to look for that crockpot.  ;)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
My slow cooker is one of my best friends. I love making bread pudding in it. Or apple crumble. Or lasagna. Started doing that when I had no oven, and it stuck.

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
I use the slow cooker a lot here. But I don't do any pasta in it. How do you make lasagna in a slow cooker? Doesn't the pasta just turn into starchy goo?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
When you make lasagna, you don't pre-cook it.

With other pasta, you add it some 20 minutes or so before the end.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Oh, and found you the recipe I used last time.

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/slow-cooker-lasagna

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
Recipe please, Gyp?

It will be one of those no-recipe recipes.  You just leave out stuff you don't like ;-)  Mine will have Carrots, Swedes, Parsnip, Potatoes, Green beans. As reflects a stew traditionally made from 'gleanings' picked up during the day as you travelled through farmland, or shoved into your pockets when working as a casual farm labourer/picker.

With hedgerow fruits or nuts according to season and taste.  A handful of sweet chestnuts if you can be bothered to pick the shells off, can be a nice addition.

I've been looking through the cupboard and will probably chuck in a generous handful of sultanas as well.  The ones in my cupboard have started to dry out a bit but they'll plump up nicely in the slow heat.    I'll chuck in a handful of pasta spirals later on because I quite like the addition, but if I put it in at the start of the overnight plus cooking it just melts down into a thick slurry.  Doesn't damage the taste but looks slimy.

Really I should do the pasta separately, but once I get in the mood for traditional one-pot cooking, even if it is electric rather than hanging from a kittle hook over a fire, I find myself chucking all sorts of things in there.

There'll be sprouts too.  I like sprouts.  Always have, even as child.

Spices?  I'll see what I've got left.  I discarded some stuff during the move, so that may take a while to build up a collection again.

My Brother in Law, an ex-fairground guy, has quite a selection of peppers he likes to play with when he cooks his version.  Sometimes he gets a bit too generous ;-)

If I see any sweet peppers in the shop later today I might chop up a red or yellow one and add it.  I don't like the green ones.

Sometimes I'll add an apple or two, cut chunky rather than sliced.  I like the way they can pick up the other flavours but still taste of apple.

Mum once left the slow cooker on all weekend when we went away.   The result was a wonderful tasting thick vegetable soup, which we promptly labelled 'Slurry'.  Mum said she couldn't waste all that good veg and threatened to use it as 'stock'.  I suggested we tasted it first.  It looked vile but smelled and tasted rather grand.

Whenever I make stew I remember Dad out in the garden one particularly vicious winter, needing his pickaxe to wrest swedes and turnips from frozen soil.   He couldn't do his usual civil engineering job because of the weather but found a job loading lorries.  The stewpot stayed on top of the caravan stove for for six weeks straight, constantly simmering, being replenished but never emptied ;-)  Meat was cooked separately and added at the dishing up stage.

"Times like this a man needs his own pick and shovel with him, Son, instead of relying on the tools from work."  He used to bring them home every night 'just in case some light fingered git steals them to pawn for a pint or two'.   Come to think of it he always looked favourably upon a prospective new hand who turned up with his own well-used and well-cared-for tools.  In dad's critical eyes it made him a workman instead of 'just' a labourer.

In these modern times it might seem a bit harsh to make snap judgements of a man by his tools and the callouses on his hands, but it saved Dad a lot of trouble ;-)   If a man who started on Monday was still with the work gang on Wednesday it meant he was goodun.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:29:41 PM by Gyppo »

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
Thanks Gyp. I'll make my own version tomorrow, I think. I love parsnips and swedes, and I've got an old, dried out red pepper (of the sweet kind) hiding in my fridge somewhere. Don't like sprouts, but I've got some leftover leek - already sliced and washed - in the freezer. I'll probably chuck in some lentils and barley. And some dried fruit as well.

I might even chuck in a (well scrubbed) egg or two, which I can save for later use.

DGSquared

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
Trying to win Hero status with a long way to go. :P 100 before I stop tonight.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

DAnuchan

• Kudos: 3
  • My biggest regret is that I didn't write more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
I have a slow cooker at home. If dinner's too slow, I slap her bottom!

HaHaHa!!!

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »
Oh, and found you the recipe I used last time.

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/slow-cooker-lasagna

that sounds great and was even written in American.  8)
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.