Author Topic: The last person to post here wins  (Read 283619 times)

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: The last person to post here wins
« Reply #2565 on: December 16, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
I'll bring some fancy breads and cheese.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #2566 on: December 16, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
Sounds good. Do you have gluten-free bread (that doesn't taste like cardboard) too?
Gourmet Spoonie - Recipes and kitchen tips for the chronically ill and disabled

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: December 16, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
I thought gluten free bread was going to be carb free. It isn't. What a disappointment in that little tidbit of knowing.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #2568 on: December 16, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
I haven't a clue about carbs. I just know that I haven't had bread in ages, because all GF bread tastes horrible. So I have pancakes, brownies, flapjacks, crustless quiches... really it's horrible having to be gluten-free.  ;D

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: December 16, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »
I've not had much to do with gluten free bread.  We made one batch a week at the village bakery for an old lady.  But there's always a risk of cross contamination from ordinary bread so the owner put her in touch with  a place which made only gluten free bread, biscuits, and cakes.

After that she had a box full of assorted baked goods delivered every two or three weeks.  But it was delivered to our bakery in a very carefully packed and sealed box, because she wasn't always at home and the first time the carrier left it on her doorstep some animal or other got into it.

The carrier always made a joke about delivering bread to a bakery.  It would be fair to say it wore a bit thin after the first half dozen repetitions.  Delivery men came in three definite types; a) Taciturn, b) gabby but interesting, c) ones you wanted to strangle for wittering on about sod all, and it was always the same sod all.

=====

My youngest lass makes gluten free cakes which certainly don't taste like cardboard.  She recently made a gluten-free and dairy-free wedding cake for a friend.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: December 16, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
I've made some really low carb foods after finding a recipe on keto sites. But I think that they might still have gluten in them. I don't know because I don't care about that. I've baked with almond and coconut flour and don't know if either of those contain gluten.

Since going low carb, I've lost ten pounds which isn't a bad thing, but too much more weight losing will be. I'm not hungry all the time after spiking my blood sugar and so I just don't eat as much. And when I do eat, it is usually lots healthier than all the carb laden foods I was eating before.

A friend was told she had to go gluten free and found out that when she stopped eating the food she couldn't digest, she too lost weight naturally as she wasn't still eating and eating because when she did eat, it was satisfying.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #2571 on: December 16, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
I've not had much to do with gluten free bread.  We made one batch a week at the village bakery for an old lady.  But there's always a risk of cross contamination from ordinary bread so the owner put her in touch with  a place which made only gluten free bread, biscuits, and cakes.

Yes, cross-contamination is a huge issue. Gluten are sticky, and esp. in a bakery they are everywhere. Even in the air, and they can remain air-bound for a long time.

There's exactly one gluten free bakery in my country. Or rather, it's an ordinary bakery most days, but once every two weeks they clean out everything - probably in the evening and into the night. Literally everything and then they make gluten-free bread, biscuits and cakes. You have to order in advance, of course, and your baked goods will be delivered to your door. I hear they are really good, but the thing is, it's prohibitively expensive and you need a freezer. I don't have a freezer and have no intention of buying one.

My youngest lass makes gluten free cakes which certainly don't taste like cardboard.  She recently made a gluten-free and dairy-free wedding cake for a friend.

Good job! I haven't tried making cakes yet, but my pancakes, muffins and brownies are usually quite tasty, so it's absolutely possible.

I've made some really low carb foods after finding a recipe on keto sites. But I think that they might still have gluten in them. I don't know because I don't care about that. I've baked with almond and coconut flour and don't know if either of those contain gluten.

Almond and coconut flour are GF. So are chickpea flour, corn flour, rice flour and a bunch of other flours. In theory, oat flour and buckwheat flour should be GF as well, but they are often cross-contaminated, so I can only buy them when they are certified gluten-free.

Since going low carb, I've lost ten pounds which isn't a bad thing, but too much more weight losing will be. I'm not hungry all the time after spiking my blood sugar and so I just don't eat as much. And when I do eat, it is usually lots healthier than all the carb laden foods I was eating before.

A friend was told she had to go gluten free and found out that when she stopped eating the food she couldn't digest, she too lost weight naturally as she wasn't still eating and eating because when she did eat, it was satisfying.

I'm actually hoping to be able to finally put on some weight now that I've stopped eating food I can't digest. Also, I find I'm eating more, rather than less, since I'm not bloated all the time.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: December 16, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
I had a workmate who was skinny as rake, and even now, in his sixties he's still like a damned beanpole.  Being over six toot tall adds to the effect.

He was strong enough despite being skinny.  When I worked with him he made a serious effort to 'bulk up' and spent a fortune on some protein shake stuff.  It came in commercial sized drums and he got through loads of it.  He coupled it with weight training and as a result he actually lost weight to the point that he looked ill instead of just skinny.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: December 17, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
Corn, rice, and any wheat flours are full of carbs which are my enemies.

I thought quinoa was going to be okay, but it is also full of carbs.

Tomorrow I finally get to go to a class to tell me how to be not diabetic. It has been almost three months since I was diagnosed. They only do this quarterly and I must have just missed the last one. But I guess it is better late than never.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: December 17, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »
Better late than dead.

(Most bosses don't accept this as an excuse for poor timekeeping, but they might change their mind if dead people started clocking in, on time but incapable of working.)

There's probably a story in there somewhere if anyone wants to run with it.  I'll even throw in a free title, 'Dead On Time'.  I'll admit I tried it myself a few years back but wasn't too happy with the way it worked out.

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #2575 on: December 17, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
Diabetes sucks, Patti. I have to be a bit careful as well, seeing that both my mum and dad have diabetes II. My granddad had it too. Not too severely though, and none of them ever needed insulin. I think Dad doesn't have any meds either. Just the diet. Mum used to have meds, but they took her off all meds when she got diagnosed with cancer. She's on opiates now and her GP thinks she won't live to see Christmas, but I have my doubts. Last January she was told she had weeks, or months. Needless to say she's well past her "best before" date and she's still hanging on to life, even if only barely. I'll believe she's dead when she's actually died, and not a moment sooner.

sitalakshmi

• Kudos: 2
  • Always Optimistic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: December 17, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »
Good Night everyone... :)
Keep Smiling...

Checkmate(my novel) is now available on Amazon Kindle :https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSTXC3F

Dansinger

• View Profile
    • Gourmet Spoonie
« Reply #2577 on: December 17, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Hi Sita!

I had a workmate who was skinny as rake, and even now, in his sixties he's still like a damned beanpole.  Being over six toot tall adds to the effect.

He was strong enough despite being skinny.  When I worked with him he made a serious effort to 'bulk up' and spent a fortune on some protein shake stuff.  It came in commercial sized drums and he got through loads of it.  He coupled it with weight training and as a result he actually lost weight to the point that he looked ill instead of just skinny.

Gyppo

Sounds like me. Apart from the over six foot tall thing. And I'm not in my sixties yet. (Getting closer each year though.) That bulk up stuff really doesn't work. I once had a dietician tell me I should just start gorging on sweets and candies. That's when I decided I'd rather be skinny and healthy than buff from shoving all kinds of unhealthy stuff in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I like a treat every now and then. But I like healthy food better. It just tastes better.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: December 17, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »
Hi Sita  :-*

Hey ya Dan the loser  :P :P
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Dansinger