Author Topic: The last person to post here wins  (Read 418341 times)

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The last person to post here wins
« Reply #6195 on: January 16, 2021, 02:22:50 AM »
Apparently Ive been summoned to a Jury Panel

When I said I wanted to win the lottery,this wasn't it ???

Although I am excited :o

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: January 16, 2021, 02:42:36 PM »
I am now officially too old to sit on a jury. I can if they mistakenly call me, but if they do, I just have to tell them I am an old and cantankerous coot who believes all young people are meant to be jailed. Then they don't want me.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: January 16, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
That does sound cantankerous, Spell.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 36
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: January 16, 2021, 07:07:09 PM »
As long  as it works.  A reputation for being cantankerous or just 'different' can prevent a lot of unwanted hassle.

Mum used to tell the Jehova's Witnesses who knocked on the door that she was a witch.   (Which was true.) The JWs don't try to help/save/re-educate witches.  With almost any branch of Christianity they have 'a dialogue' to use.  Against Pagans they don't quite know where to start ;-)

They're polite to me, when I tell them I'm an Odanist, just as I'm polite to them.  I don't give them grief over their stance against blood transfusions, etc. But there's no room for discourse.  I just wish them well with their mission and gently send them on their way.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: January 17, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
My mother would invite them in and then say she would explain the rosary to them. They didn't want to listen to her religious stuff so they would decline and move on.

I worked out with a family of JW. They never mentioned religion and I only found out when I asked about Thanksgiving and found out they don't celebrate that. Or birthdays. I have no idea why. And they weren't allowed in the group photos when we did things like Murph (a Memorial Day WOD to honor our troops) or the 12 Days of Christmas thing. It was odd. But they never brought this stuff up.

I get in trouble for calling God the Magic Guy in the Sky. I'm supposed to be respectful. I'm not very.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: January 17, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »
I worked for years with a chap we called 'Rovey Dave'. He was a JW and he quickly accepted that we didn't want to be 'saved' or even discuss our varying religions.  In return we chose not to push him on one or two things some of us took very seriously.

Dave was good worker and a pragmatic chap, so it worked out well enough.

On our night crew we had a general rule of no religion or politics.  We had a lot to do in a short and fixed time, so no room for anyone who got in a huff and wouldn't pull his weight.  That worked well rather well too.

But Dave had us in quiet stitches with the following tale.

"I was driving the minibus with twelve others in the back, on the way to a meeting.  There was a car crash in front of us which blocked the road for a while.  Nobody badly injured, but lots of bent metal.

"One of the drivers rushed over, pulled open the side door and said 'I need a witness'.  You should have seen his face when all thirteen of us started laughing out loud."

In case you're wondering...  Our 'Resident Jew' asked him if he objected to his nickname.  "No.  In fact I quite like it.  It shows you've accepted me as one of you lot here at work."

Gyppo

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: January 17, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
I worked for years with a chap we called 'Rovey Dave'. He was a JW and he quickly accepted that we didn't want to be 'saved' or even discuss our varying religions.  In return we chose not to push him on one or two things some of us took very seriously.

Dave was good worker and a pragmatic chap, so it worked out well enough.

On our night crew we had a general rule of no religion or politics.  We had a lot to do in a short and fixed time, so no room for anyone who got in a huff and wouldn't pull his weight.  That worked well rather well too.

But Dave had us in quiet stitches with the following tale.

"I was driving the minibus with twelve others in the back, on the way to a meeting.  There was a car crash in front of us which blocked the road for a while.  Nobody badly injured, but lots of bent metal.

"One of the drivers rushed over, pulled open the side door and said 'I need a witness'.  You should have seen his face when all thirteen of us started laughing out loud."

In case you're wondering...  Our 'Resident Jew' asked him if he objected to his nickname.  "No.  In fact I quite like it.  It shows you've accepted me as one of you lot here at work."

Gyppo

Different strokes for different folks ;D

My summons has now been pushed back to May ::)

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:49 PM »
I think being accepted for one's own self is really important. Having to bend and contort to fit another person's whims is just horrible.

I was working one day with a Puerto Rican, a hillbilly, and a Jew. The anesthetist (Jew) wasn't in the room when we started laughing about being a Mick, a Spic, and a Hick. He came in and wanted to know why he wasn't included. I told him he was a long I. He laughed with us. We celebrated our differences and worked together well.

Dansinger

• Kudos: 9
  • Home is where the cat is
    • View Profile
    • Daan Katz
« Reply #6203 on: January 20, 2021, 09:20:00 PM »
I believe in winning.
Daan Katz, Author - Where the Magic Happens
The Elven Curse - Kings, priests, elves, and a woman in a wheelchair

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: January 20, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »
Winning is relatively easy.  The real work starts when you want to stay at the top.

DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: January 21, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »
Finally, something I can be good at for a minute or two if I'm lucky.

We have a new president and the administration's first press briefing was a breath of fresh air, as far as press briefings go.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: January 21, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »
Deb,

I'll give you a friendly shove off the podium so you can further enjoy winning it back again ;-)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:43:35 PM by Gyppo »

DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: January 21, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
Now that's a true friend, Gyppo.  ;D :-*
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: January 23, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »
And I'm just pushing you off the podium. So there.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: January 23, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
Thud.   B-o-u-n-c-e.  Back again.