Author Topic: One good thing...  (Read 14802 times)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: One good thing...
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
You couldn't pay me to be 18 again!  To have all that still to do?  To want to write, and have everyone tell me I could never make a living at it, and suspect they were right?  To doubt my ability to cope with all the shit life throws at you?

Look, I'm 69.  My hands hurt most of the time because I spent fifty years typing at 70 wpm, or wrestling big over-keen horses across open country, or trying to hit a four-inch target with an arrow fired from a bow that needed to be slightly too powerful to make the range.  I can only get on my horse by using a mounting-block that's nearly as high as he is; and now I can only get off him the same way.  But does being old suck?  No, it doesn't.  It's made up of way too many good things - good times, good places, good friends.  Give all those up in order to be 18 again?  I didn't much like being 18 the first time, I'm sure as hell not doing it again.

A footnote:  When I was 18, the age of majority was 21.  By the time I was 21, it was 18.  Never did get the big party.  Typical or what?

DGSquared

• Kudos: 8
  • May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2021, 12:03:52 AM »
Any time someone told me I couldn't, I made it a point to prove them wrong.

I wouldn't really trade my life to go back to 18 but to have started with the experience would have been nice. It certainly would have saved me from wasting time and tears in a couple of abusive relationships.

Here's my good thing:

Last night, Dillon's boyfriend, Eli,  gave me the sweetest compliment I think I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:05:59 AM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
I have been keeping track of three things that went well today for nearly three weeks now. Somehow I keep finding three things. It is so difficult in times when complaining and seeing the dark side is so prevalent, but I have been consistently writing them down day after day.

The best thing from the week was that my Brother in law was having chest pain and shortness of breath while at his doctor visit. This is the guy who had the massive heart attack and then two weeks later he had a stroke. So he was sent to the ER and they did a bunch of tests and pronounced him as healthy as one can expect. He did not have another heart attack.

Isn't it amazing when we stop to think about all the terrible things that could have happened and didn't? Our luck is boundless.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
I watched the movie, Suffragette on Netflix today. It was sad but made me glad that there were/are women brave enough to take a stand to secure more fairness in this world. I thought about being in a position to have to go through something like that with my friends and my friend, Phyllis, came to mind.

An hour later, I received the loveliest package from Phyllis with a variety of cool postage stamps on a swirly heart mailing envelope. One of the stamps was a graphic of the very funeral march the movie ended with, and more importantly, brought the women's right to vote into what was at the time, mainstream media coverage. Women Vote.

Other stamps were John Lennon, Walt Disney with characters floating in a spiral around his head, PeterPan and Tinkerbell together, a great big heart being carried by a small blue, running figure, and two Harry Potter character stamps, one of Professor Hagrid and one of Professor Snape.  The other side of the envelope had, a "Hello Gorgeous" and an old-fashioned silhouette of a woman on a bicycle. It was a decorated package - beautiful!

Inside the package, there was a magnet with the Serenity Prayer, an envelope with my name, Deborah, in bright, gold, embossed letters, a lovely card, and a book of poetry by, Rupi Kaur, called, Home Body. I read it this evening and found a lot of lyrical wisdom. It made me cry but it was a captivating read and lit a fire in my belly.

I'm thankful for packages sent in the mail by friends. I've received a couple from my friends here, Gyppo and Jo. There is something mystical about getting a package from another place on Earth, especially when those packages contain books from friends.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »
The pandemic has been going on forever. And ever. In June of 1920  my sisters and I started Zoom meeting. During the summer, we Zoomed every day. Then when school started, we cut back to twice a week. It is now over 18 months of doing this and we sometimes have things to do and either reschedule the meeting or even drop the very occasional one. But we have consistently met together for all this time. I think that without this, I may have lost my mind by now. My sisters are the best.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2022, 02:19:17 PM »
That's remarkable - a whole family of sisters well over a hundred years old!  There must be something in the water where you come from.

Unless, of course, you're like me and keep saying 1920 when you mean 2020...

Either way, you're lucky in your sisters.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2022, 02:12:24 PM »
That was a remarkable typo. My aunt just died at 99 and her baby sister who is 95 is still chugging along.

My good thing for the day: I got heavier on my bench press with a 2 second hold at the bottom without killing myself. That's always a plus.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »
So I was right - it is something in the water where you come from!  Mind you keep up the good work, Chick.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
I honestly do not want to live that long. It isn't as pretty as Betty White made it look. I hope I am more like my mother who was still independent, capable, and on her way out to meet a friend for lunch when she had a heart attack and died. That's really the way to go.

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2022, 08:18:46 PM »
So I've done this '10 year challenge'

I'm still not rich and famous but alas I'm actually living instead of merely surviving

I started volunteering in 2011
I now have ample room to place perishable items,no more bar fridge lol

I suffered depression 2011-2013 alone before getting help

I have a large one bedroom instead of a 6x8 room...

I am grayer and just a tad wiser....

I now walk 2 dogs per day.Pigs is jealous

I've gotten rid of toxic relationships...

My budgeting has improved somewhat...

It's been two years since I stopped binge drinking all the time..I still smoke but one of these days....

Last but not least.I thought I was going to be the next best richest writer 🤔😱

Go ahead,laugh!!!!

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 39
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2022, 09:20:02 PM »

Last but not least.I thought I was going to be the next best richest writer 🤔😱

Go ahead,laugh!!!!

Why would I laugh at your dreams?  It's a common one and some us of make it.  Most of us just earn enough to keep the dream alive.  I've always had another job to pay the rent and keep food on the table, and my writing put jam on the bread ;-)  And bought school uniform for my girls.

You've done a lot of stuff already that many people fail to do.  Plenty to be proud of.

Writing?  Some of it's luck, being in the right place at the right time, with the right story.  Most of it's work - no matter how much we enjoy it - and the ones who work at it the hardest and most reliably get the rewards.

Gyppo

Mastafrank

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2022, 01:29:06 AM »
Writing is always a work in progress...

One of my favorite authors Orson Scott card created an entire universe from a short story he first wrote in the 80's.

I remember being blown away by Ender's game when I first read it in the 90's.There are now 16 novels dealing with other characters etc

Laura

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »
You've had a productive 10 years, Frank. No telling what the next ten will bring.
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Tallulah Bankhead

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2022, 02:21:51 PM »
Frank, you are way ahead of me. I've nothing in ten years.