Author Topic: We all need answers  (Read 1492 times)

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: We all need answers
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
Oh yes - this, my laptop.  To the point that, if I can't use it for any reason, I'm momentarily flummoxed as to what to do instead.

I was a late convert to word processing.  I wrote - with a fountain pen, no less - in reporter's notebooks, typing up on my old manual when the job was done.  I thought industrialising the process would slash the creativity.

Wrong again.  As soon as I realised how versatile word processing was - how you could move bodies of text around, and put them back again, to see which worked best - I was as enthusiastic as all converts.  Still am.

If you can only get to see one person as the covid restrictions ease, who will it be?

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:31 PM »
We scheduled a family vacation last fall. Both our sons and their families are joining us at a large rental house outside Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We have seen Craig and his family a few times in the last year, but it will be two years since we have seen Joe and his family. And the two sons haven't been together for six or seven years now. Joe hasn't come south since he moved back to Ohio and Craig hasn't gone north, either.

So those things are already on the books.

I have two sisters. And I can't pick which ONE I would want to see more than the other. We have been Zooming for a year now and it works. But I haven't gotten to SEE them in two years either. I really have no plans to fly, it freaks me out still. We discussed, only in the negative, about how we couldn't manage to all fly somewhere again this summer. So, when it is safer or saner to fly, those are the people I would love to see. Cheri is close enough that in theory, I could drive there. When we have to go north for Ruth's second funeral (because of course, she needed two), I might insist that we route ourselves past Cincy on the way to Cleveland and so I might at least see one sister. I'm not driving from South Carolina to Arizona any time in the future.

What is the longest road trip you have ever taken?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 09:26:51 PM »
If I'm allowed a couple of sea crossings, it was from Northern Ireland via England, Belgium, France and Spain to the Moroccan Sahara.  In an old Transit van that needed a push-start on cold mornings.  If we weren't too tired - and there were any hills handy - we parked it at the top of one last thing at night, which made getting back on the road a much easier job.  Spain was good for hills.  Belgium was rubbish.

That was a long time ago.  These days I do a lot more short drives; but I enjoy getting out on the road, alone or with company, and just wandering round looking at the scenery.  We have some world-class beauty spots round here.  Not as many camels, though.

If it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good, what is the most positive thing to come out of the pandemic, for you or those around you?  New hobbies?  More time to engage in old ones?  More time to read?  Less time wasted commuting?  What's the silver lining?

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 02:44:56 PM »
Daxton Richard. He is perfect. Of course, his arrival had nothing to do with a pandemic, it's just how it happened. So that probably doesn't count.

I was forced out of the gym when it closed. I had some equipment here and could manage to work out here at home. Over the months I have added considerably to my home gym. I was using old workouts that could be done here at home and then Craig started writing my programming.

The gym has reopened and there is a different coach writing the workouts now. He is all gung-ho and writes horrible things day after day after day. These were the types of things that used to defeat me, beat me down, make me cry. I would not be able to go back there and stay sane. I can't now expend the energy and stay sane. So luckily, Craig is writing workouts that are appropriate for a person of my age, always mindful of my limitations, and always just pushing a little tiny bit to make sure I'm improving.

I do miss the people though.

What is a favorite recipe or dish (not take out or eat out or otherwise someone else preparing) you have on the days you don't really feel like cooking an elaborate meal?
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:21 PM »
Chip butties.  A shocking indulgence, but as long as it doesn't become a habit, who cares?  Wholemeal bread, butter, oven chips, that's it: slap together, avoid getting melted butter down your front, and enjoy.

If pandemic restrictions in your area allowed you to make one day-trip anywhere, and it was going to have to last you for the next three months, where would you go?  Bear in mind that the further you travel, the less time you'll have at your destination; and if you choose to fly, you'll probably spend most of your day in airports.