Author Topic: That's debatable OR Tangential writing  (Read 148 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
That's debatable OR Tangential writing
« on: May 20, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
Geoff and Jo were over in the bar area and posted this. I thought it was a great idea.

https://bestwritingforum.com/index.php/topic,2324.0.html

That is a brilliant story!

I think we should do something similar on here.  Not so much the transport theme, though whatever floats your boat, but someone proposes a theme, someone else writes 150 words on it, then proposes the next theme.  Writing related or not.  A bit like the definitions game, but you're expected to dig a little deeper.  Humour good but not essential.  Come on, 150 words don't take much writing!

Anybody up for it?

ONLINE SHOPPING
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: That's debatable OR Tangential writing
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 09:35:47 AM »
My mother would have been appalled by the idea of online shopping.  She enjoyed the whole shopping experience: catching the bus into town, taking short-cuts between the back door of one store and the side door of the next, picking through the rails item by item.  And she was good at it: I still wear some of the clothes she bought in sales.  The secret, she said, was not to save money in sales - it was to buy things you couldn't otherwise afford.

Some things skip a generation.  I get my eyesight from my grandfather: neither of my parents was short-sighted.  It seems the shopping gene is much the same.  I have always hated it with a passion.  I am the poster-child for online shopping.  I get dog-food delivered monthly; I just bought a folding screen and paint remover.  Online shopping rules!

HOLIDAY DESTINATIONS: how to pick them

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 16
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »
Looking at maps allows one to locate parks and mountains and streams that seem to be somewhat removed from cities and larger towns making them possible relaxing vacation destinations. The trouble with maps is that they often leave out some of the more pertinent information. Since vacationing means you almost always forget to pack something, it is necessary to know where the closest stores to your destination can be found. This is crucial if what you forgot was charcoal and your steaks are in desperate need of cooking. Maps can tell you many things, but they (even when supplied by Google) can't tell you the real story of what you actually find on the ground. Still, they are quite useful in many vacation settings.

Netflix
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »
I am the last one to respond to this, Chick, since I don't have Netflix and have never watched Netflix.  But no one else is doing, so...

I know what it is, of course - a bit like the archetypal British judge who, when defence counsel mentioned the Beatles in the course of a case, explained to the jury that he was referring to "a popular music combo" - but have never felt the need of any more television channels.  Dear God, there are over a hundred that you don't have to pay for.

Admittedly, most of them fill their schedules with stuff no one would pay for; and many of them with stuff that no one would have paid for when they were new, fifty years ago.  But most films turn up eventually, and there are usually enough decent documentaries to find something worth watching. 

And anyway, I don't need to buy something to encourage me to sit in my armchair - or worse, on my bed - and do nothing for even longer.  I need something to encourage me to leap up, set about the housework, take a startled dog for an extra walk and then get the horse tacked up.  Sitting watching TV is my default position. 

Except that it isn't.  Reading a book is still my default position.  And before you ask, no, I don't have a Kindle.  I have books.

If they made it illegal to write the sort of stuff you write now, what would you write instead?