Author Topic: Technology likes Gyppo better  (Read 330 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 14
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Technology likes Gyppo better
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:11:46 AM »
I pay for the Great Courses Plus and have access to lots and lots of educational video series. I love them and have learned a lot.

They have been bragging about their new interface and how wonderful it is. And they forced me to use it on all my devices. Great! It has all these new features, I'm told.

It doesn't work correctly. I used to be able to shut down the thing, go make dinner, come back, and the next video was ready to play when I started the Smart TV with Amazon FIRE attached. It worked perfectly.

Now, it doesn't. First, it doesn't start up. I have to go thru the menu to get to it, but then ... it still doesn't start. I have to encourage it and then it still doesn't work. Then, miracle of miracles, it does work but it doesn't show me the next video in the series. Instead, it shows me one I've already watched.

When I click the back button on the remote, I get a message saying "The consumer isn't authorized to access the %resources" and I have to go back to the main menu and start all over again.

I timed this the last time I started the thing. After the TV started and it would have been happily playing, it took me 3 minutes and 43 seconds to get to the point where it would finally play the correct video.

It took several tries for it to finally load the classes I'm interested in for later perusal, but it will not load those on my tablet - yet. I can't figure out how to tell which one is the "correct" one because although that used to be highlighted, it isn't now. You just get to click around and hope for the best.

I've sent them a request for some help and they have 24 hours to respond. I also have two toll free numbers I can call for help so by tomorrow afternoon, I may be talking with them.

And what is the feature that is the most spectacular? Those classes I want to watch later can now be sorted into categories. But they weren't on my screen when they did finally show up. If the thing worked, I suppose it would be great.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.
Daily Tidbits A daily ... tidbit. My new blog.

Firefly

• Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi
  • Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Technology likes Gyppo better
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:07:40 AM »
Technology, man it has its peaks and troughs Spell
Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive

Gyppo

• Kudos: 30
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
It's so annoying when something which used to work well suddenly doesn't after an 'improvement'.  Having recently downloaded totally fresh copies of some old favourites onto the new OS it seems the sales teams see me as completely new target.  (Idiots.)

The firm which makes my printer are asking me to join their customer feedback scheme.  A polite "No thank you' saw that on its way.  They want to 'keep me informed about the latest developments and advances'.  But I'll use the existing printer until it drops, and if the same model is still available when that happens I'll probably buy another one for a seamless transition.  I'm very likely to buy the same make even if I have to change to a different model.  'Brand Loyalty' is a very real phenomenon if you get a good introduction with your first purchase.

It's a resilient little beast.  To cut a long story short it accidentally ingested a small pocket knife along with a sheet of paper just a few days ago as I was doing a print run.  It made horrible noises and tore up two sheets of paper.  I could see the thin knife jammed up in the feed mechanism, but couldn't quite reach it.

I thought I might have to dismantle the thing, or at least turn it on it's side and bang it against the desk a little bit.  Which is nowhere near as brutal as it sounds.    But I managed to hook it back out with one of those telescopic pick-up magnets.  (Very useful little tool.)

The next two pages of print were a bit strange as it was working torn fragments out of its rollers at the same time.  Since then it's worked just fine.  In fact it prints pictures better than before.  That's probably down to the new driver I had to install following the upgrade, but a little part of me likes tho think it's terrified of being stabbed again ;-)

Maybe it will spread the word over The Internet Of Things that 'some people are not to be messed with'.

=====

Opera  tried to foist a copy of Opera GX on me,  It's the new gaming browser apparently.  I like what I've got, having tweaked it to suit my modest needs.  But at least they have the decency to provide a 'please don't ask me again' box to tick.  Whether it works remains to be seen ;-)

Gyppo

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:48:06 PM by Gyppo »

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »
My next printer will be a laser job. I think in the last 5 years, we have had as many printers, bloody ink just disappears

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 11:50:13 AM »
I switched to a laser printer a few years ago. Mostly, I like it. But sometimes it goes into sleep mode and it must be a really deep sleep because nothing short of unplugging it and restarting the damn thing makes it wake up.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
I've had a mono laser printer for several years now.   They're not even expensive any more if you shop around.  This is my second one. It runs well on aftermarket (cheaper) toner cartridges.  It's fast enough for me and a damned sight quieter than the old matrix printers.

Gyppo

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
We started out with a dot matrix printer using that green and white fan-folded paper that you had to tear the edges off. That thing was a monster.

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 12:02:43 AM »
I did not hear back from the Great Courses, but the next video loaded when I restarted the TV. The following one, however, did not.

I finished the series I was watching (on King Arthur, the history, literature, and never ending story of the mythic creation) and then had to go to my computer to start watching something there so it would show up in my "continue watching" section since that will load.

I have no idea why companies like to ruin their product.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:24 AM »
So someone gets a raise

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 01:51:44 AM »
People get raises for breaking things that used to work well? I was in the wrong profession.

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 05:12:45 AM »
Oh every day. If it's going well and everyone is happy, someone always manages to screw it up and get a promotion

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 06:39:30 AM »
It's called being positive.  Unfortunately some people are positively stupid and get mistaken for innovators and forward thinkers.

Our local Co-op grocers offers stuff at a special introductory price, and as soon as everyone starts buying it whack the price up and wonder why it sits on the shelf until the sell by date expires.  The classic example is one of the brands of margarine  they sell.  It regularly yo-yos between either one pound or two pounds.

I overheard the manageress saying "I don't know why people won't buy it at the higher price.  It's still the same product."

Exactly.  And it's still the lower price in other shops.  Or it sits at a steady £1-25 all year long.

I think she hates customers.  We interfere with her neatly planned out spreadsheet.

Gyppo

Firefly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
Ha ha certainly sounds like that mateb

Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
I stock up on things I know I like when they are on sale and hope the next cycle comes by before I run out.

Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
I usually have at least two spare tubs of margarine in the bottom drawer of the fridge.  I also have what Mum called a stock cupboard.  Stuff in tins and packets which will keep me going if I can't get out and about for a couple of weeks.  Just in case.

My basic slow cooker casserole is measured in tins.  One tin of spicy mixed beans, one smaller tin of sweetcorn, and next time I make a shopping run with my rucksack there'll be some tinned small potatoes in there as well for backup.  At least they shouldn't start sprouting before I finish the bag.

I chop and change on the meat content of the casserole, or sometimes add a bit more spud and a chopped up apple with a handful of sultans to make it all veggie.

My daughter was nosing around in my cupboards and tickled to see I have the tins stacked up in 'ready to go casserole kits'.  It's very easy to not bother with cooking when you're only feeding yourself, so anything which makes getting started a bit easier has to make sense.

=====

But now I must go and be techie for a while and find out why one of my favourite programmes isn't behaving quite as it should.  it survived the move to Win 10,but is being a little cantankerous.