Author Topic: Careless talk costs words.  (Read 1156 times)

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Careless talk costs words.
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
If you know a writer who refuses be drawn on the subject of his latest project, this may be why.

Careless talk costs words...

Talking too much about an idea - whilst it's still only an idea - can take away all the impetus to actually write the thing.  Pushing some ideas around in an on-line forum or writer's circle - despite typing them in - can be as destructive as talking.

Sometimes a different input will help, set you going again if it's just a 'technical' hitch.  Other times it will just derail your train of thought and leave no survivors.

At the end of the day though it's always your story and you have to tell it in your own voice.  This does get easier as you write more, because you will come to trust yourself instead of needing approval.  The occasional ego boost is always nice, but only experience will build a trustworthy ego (confidence)  of your own rather than a Frankenstein creation cobbled together from fragments 'borrowed' from other people.

Gyppo

Jo Bannister

• Kudos: 13
  • If this was easy, anyone could do it
    • View Profile
Re: Careless talk costs words.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
I couldn't agree more, Gyppo.  Talking about a project comes under the category of Things Which Are Not Writing.  And it does start becoming over-familiar, even a bit jaded, in your mind.  Once you have the basic parameters in your head, the place to explore them is on the page.

Gyppo

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 37
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »
Yes..  'Thinking on the page' gets things done.

My daughter is becoming sensibly taciturn about what she is writing ;-)

Gyppo

WordBird

• Kudos: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
I discovered years ago that I tend to keep my enthusiasm for projects longer if I don't talk about them much. However, along the way I developed self-confidence issues.  I end up thinking that I need to see if it really is a good idea by trying it out on others. I write non-fiction, and many of my ideas are met with positive feedback.  But after I've talked about it and listened to what others think, I lose interest. 
Motivation for Life