Author Topic: Library talk - oh heck  (Read 508 times)

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
Library talk - oh heck
« on: December 11, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
A Nottingham library book club have asked me to talk to them about my historical novel, Xaghra's Revenge. It's not until March so I've plenty of time to worry about it. I've done the talk with a Chester library club of about 6 people and one in Malta with only 4. The Nottingham librarian said there will likely be around 30 people waiting to trip me up and snarl at my subjunctive clauses.

Lin Treadgold

• Kudos: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Library talk - oh heck
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 03:57:27 PM »
Hi Geoff,

I think the best talks are when you can have some kind of audience participation.  I did one not so long ago where I got the small audience to write down the first paragraph of a novel.  It was great fun and we voted on who had the most interesting opening to a book and why.  It made the participants realise that writing a book needed skill and we discussed the elements of a good intro. 

Hope this helps.

Lin

geoffnelder

• Kudos: 1
    • View Profile
    • Geoff Nelder Imagination Factory
Re: Library talk - oh heck
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:39:45 PM »
Hi Lin, thanks for that. I've done that kind of thing when I've run writing workshops and you're right, it works well. This talk though is about my historical fantasy novel, Xaghra's Revenge, so it's not the same. Audience participation is good though. They will have read the novel by then, I expect. The library bought a copy and has sent them a heads up with a teaser. A lot of Brits go to Malta and Gozo and are fond of the place without realising this gobsmacking atrocity that happened in 1551. In fact many Maltese don't know either. I will be engaging the audience - eg who've been there or know someone who's been there. Also, who has a book in them?