Author Topic: I try  (Read 46 times)

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 13
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
I try
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:15 AM »
I've been trying to take care of myself, my health, my well being for as long as I can remember. I think it has something to do with being a nurse and seeing what letting go of self care looks like.

But age is unforgiving and inexorable. I'm falling apart and faster than I imagined would happen.

I have to go to the retinologist once a year for some special angiography pictures of the back of my eye because there is something askew with my right retina. This is probably from an old injury from my racquetball days.

I knew I had a cataract forming in that eye but we wait because my eyeball is longer than 25 mm and that means when I have the cataract removed, I will forever more have to worry about the increased risk of a retinal detachment. I've circulated the procedure to try to fix that. It isn't nice. It is possible to fix - somewhat. So I've waited and waited, hoping against hope to not have to do this.

I have to do this. Or simply go blind in one eye already without the risk of just going blind later. Hobson's choice if you ask me.

This has not been a good week on the health front already. Saturday, at the gym, I had what in medical talk is called an "incident" and I have been trying to treat it on my own. That means, I'm guessing at crap.

I either had a transischemic attack (TIA or mini stroke) or a migraine or possibly something I just haven't thought of. My blood pressure was normal every time I took it, my fine and gross motor functions have remained intact, I have remained oriented x3, and passed all the other neurological tests I could think of. I'm leaning towards a migraine, but it has not been exactly like my migraines of old.

Already feeling defeated by a body that is slowly betraying me at every turn, the doctor visit yesterday did nothing to improve my (pun intended) outlook. He also suggested I start taking some eye vitamins. That's based on my not being quite a diabetic yet, because that also affects eyeballs.

All in all, I'm pretty fed up with a body in revolt. I've worked so hard to stay healthy and it seems like it was all for nothing. As my 30 something doctor so helpfully pointed out, without all this crap I do anyway, I would have just fallen apart sooner. I guess I needed to be a bit more proactive in my gene selection 67 years ago.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Gyppo

• Kudos: 26
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Re: I try
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »
The gene pool is indeed a lottery, and we don't even get to choose the numbers we'll have to play with.  Statistically I come from a line that doesn't die young on either side, but there's no guarantee what shape I'll be in in by the time I reach 100.

Spell Chick

• Kudos: 13
  • Choose well
    • View Profile
Re: I try
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
My mother died at 84. (The brother in the family died in WWII) The sisters are 93 and 95. Apparently, I'm taking after my mother in more than just looks. The Germanic blond sisters I have accrued both seem to be unflinchingly healthy. I would blame my Irish genes, but those 90+ aunts are the Irish side of the family.

There is nothing left to do but keep trying to be as healthy as possible. Even as I'm tempted to eat an entire blueberry pie or chocolate cake, I know that it will all turn out better if I behave like a sane adult.
Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.